Randomized container loot. Is there a way to save/load to get what you want?

Really? That's interesting. I thought all the loot are fixed. Still i kinda miss weapons like Celestial Fury and Holy Avenger.

It's a mixture of handplaced fixed loot and "random" - a lot of containers, maybe some enemies, at least, are somewhat random per game - whether it's all done at the creation of the game or done upon 1st entry of a map, I have no idea either.
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the major loot you'd really care about, like unique "named" weapons, are in fixed locations like shops, boss drops, end-of-dungeon chests, etc. Everything else is randomized, and mostly low level stuff and not many uniques. If that's true, then there wouldn't be much point in forcing a container re-load that doesn't already have something great in it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

As a side note, it's surprising to me how many of the unique items are available in shops, vs. finding them out in the wild. I've been completing every side quest, clearing every dungeon, so I don't think I've missed much. It seems like at least half of the really great gear is something I'm just buying with the scads of money you get in the later game. I guess that's okay, but it's more fun to find uniques out in the world than just buying them. 

I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the major loot you'd really care about, like unique "named" weapons, are in fixed locations like shops, boss drops, end-of-dungeon chests, etc. Everything else is randomized, and mostly low level stuff and not many uniques. If that's true, then there wouldn't be much point in forcing a container re-load that doesn't already have something great in it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

As a side note, it's surprising to me how many of the unique items are available in shops, vs. finding them out in the wild. I've been completing every side quest, clearing every dungeon, so I don't think I've missed much. It seems like at least half of the really great gear is something I'm just buying with the scads of money you get in the later game. I guess that's okay, but it's more fun to find uniques out in the world than just buying them. 

I like a mix of both. There are times you hate RNG so much that luck was never on your side and you get nothing from the loot table even hundreds of hours like Diablo 3. So it would be nice some nice Uniques are available for purchase at high price when your luck is out. Still it would be great to get items like fixed lool like CF and HA.

I'm pretty sure I saw a thread whereby a named weapon someone wanted didn't drop out of the exact same container or enemy as expected, but that the item was at least linked to/found in a certain dungeon. So not sure all named/special items are strictly tied. But again, I don't know for sure.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You're.. semi-right. There are hand-placed items, and all truly unique items are pre-placed. And a lot of other stuff is semi-randomized to be of relatively the same quality, as I have come to understand it. But it is possible to go through an entire game without getting one of those really good items that aren't technically unique, but so good that they might as well be - the gloves that gives +2 Mechanics comes to mind. Do want.

And yeah, there's an inordinate amount of high-quality stuff to be had at completely random stores. It's.. kinda weird, really. Some blacksmit in Gilded Vale, the first town you hit, has what in the setting must be considered extremely valuable, exceedingly, exceedingly rare? Why is this guy even living here? He should just buy himself a mansion, I pretty much just gave him a king's ransom.

t50aJUd.jpg

the gloves that gives +2 Mechanics comes to mind.

That might have been the one in the thread I was thinking of.

I like that some cool items are in stores - it's not like you can buy tons of them if you're skipping large swaths of the game (thus not making as much money) and even if you sold everything you still couldn't buy EVERY cool item from every shop. So I think it's to give people playstyle options, as well as be a money-sink.

You're.. semi-right. There are hand-placed items, and all truly unique items are pre-placed. And a lot of other stuff is semi-randomized to be of relatively the same quality, as I have come to understand it. But it is possible to go through an entire game without getting one of those really good items that aren't technically unique, but so good that they might as well be - the gloves that gives +2 Mechanics comes to mind. Do want.

And yeah, there's an inordinate amount of high-quality stuff to be had at completely random stores. It's.. kinda weird, really. Some blacksmit in Gilded Vale, the first town you hit, has what in the setting must be considered extremely valuable, exceedingly, exceedingly rare? Why is this guy even living here? He should just buy himself a mansion, I pretty much just gave him a king's ransom.

The skills are abit meh to me. The only thing i pick are Lore and Mechanics. Only 1 person in the team require Mechanics would do.

• Like 1

the gloves that gives +2 Mechanics comes to mind.

That might have been the one in the thread I was thinking of.

I like that some cool items are in stores - it's not like you can buy tons of them if you're skipping large swaths of the game (thus not making as much money) and even if you sold everything you still couldn't buy EVERY cool item from every shop. So I think it's to give people playstyle options, as well as be a money-sink.

Oh, I'm not opposed to that at all. I think that a lot of cool items could or should be in stores. I just think that it feels like it's an inordinate amount, and that the placement is odd.

I loved when you finally reached Baldur's Gate (of Baldur's Gate fame) and could visit all the high-class stores, with Sorcerous Sundries sitting right there at the gates, waiting for me. :3 Friendly Arms didn't have anything at all, and the smithy in Beregost, supposedly one of the best smiths in the lands, and a bunch of +1 stuff, but in terms of uniques, only like 3-4 items, 1 of which was cursed, as far as I can remember.

And then when you get to Defiance Bay, it's a group of hawkers standing around, with a whole bunch of unique, supposedly super-rare and powerful stuff to sell, and that's pretty much it. Or at least that's how it feels. tongue.png

The skills are abit meh to me. The only thing i pick are Lore and Mechanics. Only 1 person in the team require Mechanics would do.

Yeah, you only want one of those gloves, but damn that +2 Mechanics is nice to have.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I think it's decided on area entry, yes, but I'm honestly not sure. Might even have to restart the game.

It seems to depend on date in game. I've checked it on the first hidden stash in Valewood, one under the wall you climb to get Fulvano's gloves, and there was necklace +2 Per on 15th every month, Stalker's Torc on 11th and various generic crap like rings and cloaks of minor protection on other days.

Though I don't know if this loot-date dependance spreadsheet is fixed somewhere in game resources or generated explicitly for each playthrough. The latter would be more logical for randomizing things further.

Edited by Yellow Rabbit

I think it's decided on area entry, yes, but I'm honestly not sure. Might even have to restart the game.

Really? That's interesting. I thought all the loot are fixed. Still i kinda miss weapons like Celestial Fury and Holy Avenger.

I have the same feeling. I found many good weapons during the game (some of them have unique names), but none of them has realy extraordinary properties. I miss the feeling from BG II, when I have first time seen items like Carsomyr, Crom Fayer, Celestial Fury, Robe of Vecna, Lillarcor atc..  The best weapons in PoE usually has bonus to accuracy, damage, and some other property, which are usefull in some situation. Unfortunatelly none of the weapons looks realy epic. I thing, epic items brings additionl dimension to RPGs.

Container loot seems to be randomized somehow but how can I save/load to change what's in the chest? Save/load before entering the area or what?

An area has a fixed loot table that is different every (game) day. What is available at a given day is fixed per playthrough, meaning if on day 19 you didn't get what you wanted, you can't reload at day 18 and let the day pass, but have to wait/rest until day 20 for your next chance.

It seems to depend on date in game. I've checked it on the first hidden stash in Valewood, one under the wall you climb to get Fulvano's gloves, and there was necklace +2 Per on 15th every month, Stalker's Torc on 11th and various generic crap like rings and cloaks of minor protection on other days.

Though I don't know if this loot-date dependance spreadsheet is fixed somewhere in game resources or generated explicitly for each playthrough. The latter would be more logical for randomizing things further.

That's pretty interesting, I guess they did that so people don't try to save scum loot (load, try again) but if the system is that specific and people figure out the workaround they will still scum it - get to x day and loot.

That's pretty interesting, I guess they did that so people don't try to save scum loot (load, try again) but if the system is that specific and people figure out the workaround they will still scum it - get to x day and loot.

It's a helluva lot easier and quicker to use the console.