So...148 deflection and Addra couldn't land a hit on you, all grazes and misses o.O

That's a lot of deflection. On a side note, Ranger companions should totally have those stats :p

Def Con: kills owls dead

You guys should just post base deflect, deflect bonuses from various equip options and how total number affect game.

40 - you get hit a lot, crits too (mages beware of enemy snipers).

60 - somewhat risky, some hits, some grazes, misses from weak enemies, crits from tough ones (usually casters and ranged weapon users).

80-90 - somewhat tanky, ok for offtank, you ll get hit, but rarely critted, mostly grazes (usually barbarians/monks that not going for glass cannon style).

100-120 - tank, no crits, rare hits, mostly grazes (usually fighters, paladins).

130+ - ubertank, mostly for hard bosses or just for optimum tank role.

These numbers for midgame/lategame I think, at start it is 10-30 points lower for each grade.

Edited by ErlKing
  • Like 1

100 is a comfy number.

120 is enough for most of the game.

140 is going to rock everything but the Adra Dragon, basically.

I concur, 140 means you'll only gonna get grazed on a a hit, even by drakes and elder bears and 95 is the absolute minimum to avoid crits. This is only for PoTD though, for lower difficulties 120 is more than enough (That's the main reason Edér is good enough for Hard but struggles in PotD).

I had eder as my main tank in PotD-Ironman, game was still too easy.

Let me guess - you have cipher/s in team + wizard/s/druid/s and CC **** out of enemies before they even touch you?

Not even close :) I have 6 dps melee monks and they like to be touched ;) But to be fair yes i massively cc with FoA that takes non-immune enemies out for 15sec, and have carefully tailored build.

Of course if the team relies on a tank he needs deflection but no deflection means surprisingly little if you compensate it in other ways.

You are a hell of a player then dude, most of my IRL friends actually found that hard was really hard. Even I don't think I'd be able to Ironman PotD without a lot of cheese.

So...148 deflection and Addra couldn't land a hit on you, all grazes and misses o.O

That's a lot of deflection. On a side note, Ranger companions should totally have those stats :p

It's 143. Or 158 on potd.

Hmmm ... doable without any temporary effects whatsoever?

Let's see. Take a level 12 Wild Orland Paladin w/20 Perception, 20 Resolve, Song of the Heavens, Hylea's boon, +10 deflection ring, Lillith's Shawl, maxed-out Faith and Conviction, Deep Faith, Cautious Attack, Superior Deflection, Weapon and Shield Style, a hatchet, a superb large shield, and some +2 resolve item or other. So that's:

25 Base + 36 levels + 15 perception + 12 resolve + 10 ring + 11 Faith & Conviction + 2 Deep Faith + 10 Cautious Attack + 5 superior deflection + 28 superb shield + 6 shield style + 5 hatchet = 165 deflection

/low whistle

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Let's see. Take a level 12 Wild Orland Paladin w/20 Perception, 20 Resolve, Song of the Heavens, Hylea's boon, +10 deflection ring, Lillith's Shawl, maxed-out Faith and Conviction, Deep Faith, Cautious Attack, Superior Deflection, Weapon and Shield Style, a hatchet, a superb large shield, and some +2 resolve item or other. So that's:

25 Base + 36 levels + 15 perception + 12 resolve + 10 ring + 11 Faith & Conviction + 2 Deep Faith + 10 Cautious Attack + 5 superior deflection + 28 superb shield + 6 shield style + 5 hatchet = 165 deflection

/low whistle

Whoa, that's quite obscene.

/low whistle

Whoa, that's quite obscene.

Breath targets reflexes though so you are screwed for that :p

You are a hell of a player then dude, most of my IRL friends actually found that hard was really hard. Even I don't think I'd be able to Ironman PotD without a lot of cheese.

Eh you will never know before you try, it gets really easy after the early game because you start to outlevel everything just like in other difficulty settings. 

You can simply skip harder encounters if you are worried, and get a min-maxed tank unlike me. 

On melee dps least trying to match the accuracy of the guys you fight is a good starting point, so you don't eat crits, and you have to wear heavy armor, which doesn't slow you down nearly as much as it sounds.

On tank you aim to only get grazes or misses, once you are 50 over the accuracy of your opponents it's best to look for ways to help out if they are not hitting you, if they hit you, you will hold, but if not then you need to carry your weight.

On ranged it's hard to say it varies from nothing to the level of protection melee dps guy or even an offtank needs, it's highly recommended to have a backup plan, if you face ranged enemies expect them to prioritize you.

Edited by Nadrac

~80-90 is just fine, even on POTD. By 'fine' I mean your guy isn't invulnerable and you can't just stick him up there without a care in the world, but it's certainly enough to survive with some management and to get through difficult battles.

Adra's a bit of an exception with that crazy breath.

Eh you will never know before you try, it gets really easy after the early game because you start to outlevel everything just like in other difficulty settings. 

You can simply skip harder encounters if you are worried, and get a min-maxed tank unlike me. 

This, honestly the hardest part I've found on POTD is those shade/shadow/phantom fights in caed nua and eothas' temple (well, and gramfel the wayfarer, but I was being stubborn and trying to do it at level 4), once you start to get levels it becomes a lot easier.

My melee wizard is at 60 deflection /w the +20 deflect buff and the +5 deflection talent... oh and with a +5 deflection item. Not sure what further ways you can buff deflection *sigh*.

I want to solo adra Dragon with my melee wizards. Broken dreams commencing? :p

So it seems you got most of the deflection you need after 80, and getting a bit over 100 is likely all you will ever need with a bit of management.

I just remember a tip from another game that killing your opponent faster than they can kill you is a valid tanking strategy, and it seems if you focus on dps after you hit the golden zone... you probably be a better tank overall.

• 3 months later...

200 then there is no enemies that can hit you with attacks that target deflection, but 120-140 is quite enough for high level tank usually.

You're funny.....I'm very sure you can't even get 200 deflection, and you just saying that like its common its idiotic and unhelpful.

I may aswell spread some mis-information like you and confuse these people looking for help even more.

"I'd say 1000 deflection but 933 is fine for most tanking"

The Ancient Adra Dragon is the strongest enemy in the game (at least from what I'm seeing not been through most of it but it seems to be agree'd upon)

Easily destroying max level parties on easy difficulty and I've solo'd her on hard and very few people have solo'd her who own this game and I'm talking handful and a very powerful pally and mage that done it on PoTD including myself have 130-170 (the pally having 171 and thats an extreme ridiculous max that I still don't even know how he achieved, also that was from the 1.01-1.03 patch where all the talents he had have been nerfed removing about 20-30 deflection from his build in 1.06

"200 deflection" pff, please don't confuse people.

Draco, you gotta understand this game isn't like BG, deflection is amazing but it also takes into account each enemies accuracy and rolls from 100 and its gotta be a pretty low roll to miss, meaning you need some obscene deflection to constantly miss.

The thing is you don't NEED to rely on dodging every attack, what you really should appreciate is grazes, get 100 even if its with buffs and pretty much every attack will graze you, combine that with some even just robes and you should be very tanky,

20 deflection isn't massive though, 50 deflection is massive, not 20, use llengraths displaced image and a medium enchanted shield + a hatchet and sword and shield style, with the resolve and perception talents.

That should do you totally fine, you can get some heavier armor but I wouldn't go too extreme on it, hold onto ironskin and if you start getting taken low use that as its instant and has no recovery penality,

Ironskin when you are getting low, combined with eldritch aim then concelhaut's greater corrosive siphon should get you out pretty much any situation whislt doing a ton of damage aoe and healing you to full and keeping you there pretty much gaurentee'd for like 15+ seconds.

Use your arcane veil for extreme emergeancies if ironskin isn't enough or you just don't wanna use another level 4 cast.

You are right about constitution but, its good stuff, honestly just take that advice is you are struggling the key to your problems is eldritch aim, when I started using my casts on that so much possibilities unlocked, it really is simply amazing for hitting your spells, when your spells are actually reliable it makes such a collosal difference.

Edited by alexis13

My melee wizard is at 60 deflection /w the +20 deflect buff and the +5 deflection talent... oh and with a +5 deflection item. Not sure what further ways you can buff deflection *sigh*.

I want to solo adra Dragon with my melee wizards. Broken dreams commencing? :p

lol yes 60 Deflec WITH buffs, I've got exactly 100(well 99 but that gives me the ocd lol) deflection with my titan mage without buffs and I need my buffs for her, you ain't soloing her lol.

Get 18 perception and 19 resolve (history, maybe more depending on race)

Get a medium shield and enchant it to exceptional or find one(Or get the outworn shield its better and do the same)

Use a hatchet / all normal standard hatchets give +5 deflection / get the sword and shield style talent / +5 superior deflection talent /

(you could also get cautious attack modal talent, I personally don't use it, but you could get it but I got 4 dexterity lol so  I don't want any less speed) / +10 deflection ring/ Aura of Lillith cloak (+3 perception aka deflection) / get the ring of wonders for +1 resolve and self res/

Lastly with all that, use Llengraths Displaced image and Llengraths Safeguard (safeguard gives +20 to all defenses not deflection so it stacks)

Also on a side note a really powerful combo of items is Dead mans Treads and regeneration abilities/items like the troll belt.

IT stops you from going unconcious for 3 seconds and if you get healed even 1 heal during that time the unconcious will cancel and you'll stay alive, its like a double second chance that can proc more than once.

If you catch it in a proc and heal even just 1 health, you won't die, pop a regeneration potion just before you go down and its pretty much gaurentee'd to heal you during that three second window if you are also wearing the troll belt, horrifyingly beyond adra dragon like durability, thats not even counting infuse vitality with 18 constitution + item buffs and eldritch aim and concelhauts corrosive siphon for omega heals and arcane veil for emergeancies that honestly will probely never happen.

I only used my arcane veil once vs the adra dragon when she knocked me down and it never happend again.

Edited by alexis13

Wiki states that the Adra Dragon has 93 accuracy, and I would assume that this is as high as it gets. If that is so, you will need 143 deflection (or fort/ref/will, for that matter) to avoid 65% of the attacks and only be grazed by the rest.

Adra dragon stats from my solo triple crown run:

w4vhx.jpg

adra_dragon_stats.jpg

Here is my one solo one on hard, for those who want to compare the difficulty, also thx now I can see the difference, and yeah I'm pretty sure I can take her on PoTD, ill get around to it sometime but I've not come near to completing the game and can't be bothered starting again just for that lol.

Edited by alexis13

You need 170ish on PotD (deflection) with a paladin and even more with other classes, cause their other saves are lower.

Also getting hit by fear aura with other classes than pala might be a bummer on PoTD. (Pala ofc has a talent that pretty much trivializes the aura. whether it hits or not.)

You need 170ish on PotD (deflection) with a paladin and even more with other classes, cause their other saves are lower.

Also getting hit by fear aura with other classes than pala might be a bummer on PoTD. (Pala ofc has a talent that pretty much trivializes the aura. whether it hits or not.)

I just have auto attack turned off, so I don't physically attack her and so totally ignore her fear aura.

Id say you don't NEED 170, only for adra dragon, for the rest Id say 100-110 is enough, especially for non-potd.

Edited by alexis13