What is this lightning spell and how do I protect myself from it?

I'm on my way to defiance bay and I encountered some Druids.

Now, Eder tanks the melee mobs and I spread my ranged out to start shooting - and suddenly lightning strikes from the skies CONSTANTLY - destroying my whole team in seconds. 

The lightning strikes my characters with rapid succession, I'm guessing its a druid spell? Not sure how to deal with it - any advice? :<

I'm on my way to defiance bay and I encountered some Druids.

Now, Eder tanks the melee mobs and I spread my ranged out to start shooting - and suddenly lightning strikes from the skies CONSTANTLY - destroying my whole team in seconds.

The lightning strikes my characters with rapid succession, I'm guessing its a druid spell? Not sure how to deal with it - any advice? :<

Quickly interrupt and finish off the Druids before they can cast lightning storm. You can see who's casting what by the small icon beside their action bar.

• Like 1

It's Returning Storm, a level3 spell that hits a single target and stuns. It deals Shock damage, is defended against with Reflex. Spreading out doesn't help, but the spell has limited range.

A good idea is to focus fire druids casting it. As soon as one dies, the storm is over. You can also lower their accuracy with something like Interdiction, but wait until the storm is cast.

As with all AOE the best way to counter it is to move out of the way. Particuarly nasty spell this one, especialyl with smaller groups bu even so you should be ou of stun long enough to move out of its range assuming you have semi decent reflexes

Spreading out doesn't help, but the spell has limited range.

You are contradicting yourself. You spread out to take advantage of the limited range!

No.

Relentless Storm is not a typical area spell. It's a single target spell with the extra requirement for the target to be close. It doesn't matter how far apart your party members are from each other. You can put them right next to each other, and shoot the druids from afar for example, while Eder is holding them away from you. Either way lightning will only strike a single target each turn.

With typical AoE spells, clustering is bad. Against this spell, it doesn't really matter. Spreading out is good against fireball, blizzard, insect swarm, sunray,, concussive missiles etc.

Consider a ranger with Defensive Bond. The ability gives +15 defense against area attacks that hurt both the ranger and his animal companion.  It wouldn't do anything against Relentless Storm.

There is also a level5 Relentless Storm spell, which hits all enemies in range at the same time. Again, spreading out doesn't matter, but standing far from the caster does.

My first playthrough was with two druids.

It's a long cast time spell that continuously does good damage and stun to a single random target in a big aoe.

Best way to stop it is to kill the druid, maybe try wizards arcane dampener, should do the trick. Out healing it is a solid plan too, consecrated ground and moonwell are very effective, also summons help share the pain, or just turn the druids with the cipher and they will zap each other.

They are only really a problem if the party is too passive.

It's a long cast time spell that continuously does good damage and stun to a single random target in a big aoe.

Best way to stop it is to kill the druid, maybe try wizards arcane dampener, should do the trick. Out healing it is a solid plan too, consecrated ground and moonwell are very effective, also summons help share the pain, or just turn the druids with the cipher and they will zap each other.

They are only really a problem if the party is too passive.

Great advise, i would add that if you cant burst it out it really is worth shifting the battle out of its area of effect. I feel like too many people seem to forget that AOE spells are generally easy to dodge. This isnt the first thread complaining abut druid spells and the other thread im thinking about had an even smaller area of effect. Like everyone was saying about maxing reflexes or burst him down etc and no-one even bothered to mention that you can dodge it entirely by moving just a little bit. I mean it even tells you when casters are casting and tells you what they are casting, its possible to take 0 damage (aside disengagement attacks) from most AOE spells. This one usually hits a couple of times before you can run away entirely but still.

Its like people forget they can move in combat. Ive seen so many people moaning about the maewald fight which I find almost funny given how easily you can dodge all his spells until all he does is auto attack with his wand. Maybe the reason AOE is often so powerful is because it is also so avoidable?

Edited by Ceranai

As for enduring the damage itself, you can use potions of Bulwark against the Elements. Also, in the same zone as those druids,

is Hiravius, a companion you can recruit. His 2nd-level druidic spell, Woodskin, grants resistance to Shock damage. It can shield your whole party.

Shields and heavy armor won't help you much against the druids. Shields won't improve your Reflex except with Weapon&Shield Style talent. In fact, some of the heavier armors are vulnerable to Shock damage. Leathers and 2-handed weapons should make short work of them.

Edited by b0rsuk