Are dragons intelligent / talkative in PoE?

I guess I'm asking for a spoiler kinda. In Dragon Age, Dragons are just beasts/monsters. Which sucks imo. I liked that dragon from... Baldurs gate I think? Firekraag something, he was awesome. 

In PoE can you have a chat with the dragons you encounter or are they just beasts in the PoE universe? I obviously haven't encountered one yet, just wondering if I should be looking forward to dealing with dragons verbally or if they are just all "Me smash!". 

They're intelligent and eloquent. Except one nutjob, anyway.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

It's important ro remember the difference between drakes (can barely talk, agressive, not very clever) and dragons (mature drakes, intelligent, talkative).

You get to see both types, although there are only two grown dragons in game. I liked both of the dragons we saw, though.

OP is asking a really specific question. I'm not sure how one would answer it without at least mild spoilers. And in this forum people often mention names of companions all the along with various locations and monster types, no?

Notice the forum title, it has NO SPOILERS written there.  The least people can do is use spoiler tags or ask the thread be moved to one of the spoiler forums if they feel it is appropriate.  There is also a difference between answering a lore question ("Is there orcs in this setting?" "Yes") and what happens in the game ("Bob is a member of a secret organisation but you only find out in act 3!").

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

OP is asking a really specific question. I'm not sure how one would answer it without at least mild spoilers. And in this forum people often mention names of companions all the along with various locations and monster types, no?

You could have answered without mentioning the exact number of dragons that exist in the game. I didn't know that and now I do. I don't really mind it that much but it could have been avoided.

• Like 1

No spoiler: In the PoE world, Dragons are highly intelligent, just like in Forgotten Realms (Or I guess Tolkien would be the appropriate reference here). They get smarter with age. Drakes on the other hand, though they are in a sense the same species*, only have primate/retarted_human intelligence.

*or are they technically? Any dragonbiologists present? Drakes turn into Dragons if circumstance allows, but are Drakes technically just an adolescent Dragon, or are they a completely different species?

Drakes turn into Dragons if circumstance allows, but are Drakes technically just an adolescent Dragon, or are they a completely different species?

They are adolescent dragons, but the transition from drake to dragon is more along the lines of caterpillar to butterfly than a human adolescent to a human adult. The technical term for this is metamorphosis, but yes, it's still the same species.

• Like 1