So, I'm in his throne room, constantly having too much trouble to defeat him. I never came close. I'm level 4, as a Wizard. I have Aloth, Durance, Eder, and the Chanter, what's his name, that guy looking for the book underneath your stronghold? 

Yeah. . . I"m getting close to level five? will it at least be possible then?

So, I'm in his throne room, constantly having too much trouble to defeat him. I never came close. I'm level 4, as a Wizard. I have Aloth, Durance, Eder, and the Chanter, what's his name, that guy looking for the book underneath your stronghold? 

It's doable at four. Big things is the Archmages have to die first, and then the Champion. If you are getting overwhelmed, you can use the doorway across from the throne steps as a tanking point and have your casters rain spells safely from behind. Kana's summons also work well as distractions during the fight.

You also could go hire an adventurer for the fight (even if it's just for the one mission) if you want another meatshield to protect your backline.

I did it recently at level 4 on hard myself.

The best strategy I've found to open up combat with him is:

Tell him you'll join his side.  That gives you the option to reposition AND still have talked to him -- I'd feel weird about just walking in and attacking his guards without talking to the guy first.  Then walk back a bit and position your ranged dps behind 3 tanks and a cleric seal.  The stairs leading to his throne is pretty blockable with 3 tankish characters (I did it with Eder in tank gear sword and board + Durance in tank gear and dual wielding swords for style points + naked empty-hand monk). Start combat with a shot... or tenuous grasp (of course).

I think they should have offered the option to lie in the conversation just for consistency's sake, but whatever.  Turning around and killing him amounts to the same thing.  Would have been cool if the game acknowledged the deceit/betrayal, though.  I think that could be modded in.

Edited by Daemonjax
  • Like 1

Position your group on the stairs, both wizards at the flanks. March Edér forward to start the dialog. When the fighting starts, use Curse of Blackened Sight from one of the wizards and immediately after, Fan of Flames from the other. Move Durance and Kana forward, and have Durance cast the long-duration heal spell so Edér and Kana are in the AoE. 

From there on out it's more or less mop-up. Use wizard AoE's to soften the crowd and whoever's available to finish them off. If the mages start casting, Interrupt them with Thrust of Tattered Veils or just shooting them in the face. Don't forget to use Divine Radiance (+5 ACC) and your wizards' Arcane Assaults. Slicken is also awesome even after the nerf. Use it to get your squishies out of trouble if they're risking engagement.

The biggest risk is that you lose Edér in the opening, but his Second Chance from the armor should take care of that. If he's wielding a shield + hatchet he should survive the opening.

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

The others in the thread also gave very good tips, but here's my 2 cents as well.

Firstly, you can always turn the difficulty down to easy (assuming you're playing on Normal), or just visit the inn and hire a 6th party member (if you do, roll a melee character, which is what your party seems low on), which should give you enough advantage to comfortably kill the guy.

Alternatively, you can just travel on to Dyrford (assuming you managed to beat the Old Watcher and opened up the path) and pick up the GM, which is a great party member to have.

One more option is to just travel around a bit, do a few easy quests, kill some easy critters, and get that level 5 you're so close to. Then come back and royally hand Raedric his own buttocks.

Edited by jools1980

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

The others in the thread also gave very good tips, but here's my 2 cents as well.

Firstly, you can always turn the difficulty down to easy (assuming you're playing on Normal), or just visit the inn and hire a 6th party member (if you do, roll a melee character, which is what your party seems low on), which should give you enough advantage to comfortably kill the guy.

Alternatively, you can just travel on to Dyrford (assuming you managed to beat the Old Watcher and opened up the path) and pick up the GM, which is a great party member to have.

One more option is to just travel around a bit, do a few easy quests, kill some easy critters, and get that level 5 you're so close to. Then come back and royally hand Raedric his own buttocks.

Who is the Grieving Mother? I never met her. 

Um . . . Also, I"m level 5 now. . . any other suggestions now that I leveled up? I always found it funny I can walk with full armor, no disguises after going through all that trouble to get in, in the first place. And the Priest of Berath gives you a secure inn to sleep in as well. 

Talk to him, pull him into a bottleneck, focus the mages, win. Not an easy fight but not a hard fight by a long way. With two wizards it really shouldnt be hard to burst the squishies, then you just pick off the melees best you can.

(Its hard to be specific without knowing all your spells and i avoid the premade compainions due to thier terrible stats so i dont have much experience with them

Edited by Ceranai