Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lack of Choice Regarding Bitter Squash

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

calavicci

calavicci

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
I'd just like to thank those who are (and, in the appropriate way, those who are not) participating in this discussion for mature, indifferent, and apropos responses to such a potentially contentous topic. The point of my original post is about the game and about choice, not about the particular real-world moral debate, and I admit that I was somewhat afraid that the thread would turn into a cesspit of hatred regarding the latter; I am extremely happy to see that it has not. Again, thank you.
  • White Phoenix likes this

Anastasia98

Anastasia98

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
Just wanted to say that that quest made me upset too. This lack of choice really disturbed me - I kinda associate myself with my character. So, it really feels unconfortable when you don't have an appropriate option in solving the situation. I came across this old discussion and just wanted to say "hey, I know what you feel!"
My Watcher never completed this quest - so, she never met Pallegina. Nevertheless, I don't regret, because the quest was really, uhm, uncomfortable for me.

P.S. Sorry for my extremly bad English.

P.P.S. I hope in the beginning of PoE2 I will have an option that my character never met Pallegina.

Gnomic

Gnomic

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

I'm playing through Defiance Bay right now, and I'm very disappointed with the content involving bitter squash (the Supply and Demand quest, etc.), especially with all the emphasis on moral choice and so forth in the CRPG world these days, Pillars of Eternity included. The player ought to be able to take a moral stand against the abortifacient. As it stands, it seems that the only options are to condone it, to quietly not do those quests, or to kill everybody involved. The player should at least be able to condemn it, and preferably be able to take action to cut the supply, get it outlawed, or so forth. With all of the choice to roleplay moral situations in various ways, the lack of choice here is really conspicuous. Moreover, with the prevalence of this as an actual moral issue in the modern world, it really seems like a huge oversight. I would really like to see some substantial options added here in a future patch.

It's kind of hilarious to see an anti-choice opinion in a post titled "Lack of Choice".

TBH, it's completely understandable for PoE to ignore some very modern and extremist "morality" grandstanding -- can you imagine the hypocrisy of a Watcher who wades through packs of Wicht abominations, trying to enforce the birth of more of the wretched things?

What's the anti-choice battle cry in Dyrwood? "Carry them to term, for the sanctity of my XP farming!"

• Suen likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users