Absolutely no idea. But my Wolf has landed some rather solid base hits. I think it's on par with Sabre.

Some basic examples right now. ituumak grazed a Shadow for 13.2 dmg before DT. 13.2! That 'would' of been 26.4 normal dmg hit. Granted, DT kicked in and lower it but you get the idea. 13.2 graze is pretty solid. Now, as far as % go, they currently have x1.12 from lvl, and x1.15 from vicious companion. That's a combined (multiplicative) 1.288 dmg boost. So with out that bonus they would of hit for about 20.5.

So... that's the best I can do. I know they can hit, at base, around 20. I've seen lower like 18-ish

Now, my Wolf, Paws, grazed for (same fight, lower dmg) 11.7 dmg, that would be 23.4 dmg if it was a normal hit. Same talent/lvl dmg boosts going on so.. if I had to wager a general guess I'd say there dmg range is a class higher then player 2H weapons. Probably closer to Druids shifted form base dmg. Something like 16-24 or 18-24... something around there. Honestly not sure why people think animal companions are bad, there base dmg seems pretty solid and there an additional unit. If this was some MMO there dmg would be like 15% yours... not higher then a 2H'er lol. Definitely feels more DnD in that regard.

-edit-

Not sure where else to put this so figured I'd throw it out here since your asking about Rangers by extention of asking about companions. :p

Anyway, looks like a lot of 'Ranged' abilities Rangers get actually also work with Melee weapons in case anyone was itchin' to make a Melee ranger (such as my self). Some quick examples? Quick Aim? Works with melee (one of the only ones that actually states this). Also 'Wound Shot' Yeah turns out its wounding 'hit'... works with melee lol.

I'm sure Driving Flight is, obviously, ranged only since it's a missile pierce passive but I have a feeling the rest of the modals might allow melee, at least 1 other. Either case permanent 20% IAS is nice.

-re-edit-

So lowest I've seen my Wolf do is 16.7, that's basically 13 base dmg. So... 13-20 for wolf... maybe? And that was a hit, not a graze. But 13 * 1.288 is about the 16.7 I saw in the combat log. That's about the same as a 2H weapon. As an aside, even though Ituumak has the same Might as players Wolf Companion I think it has a higher base dmg.

...and he just grazed for 14.5 dmg, that's 29 normal hit. No other bonuses besides that x1.288. I'm throwin' my hands up on this one, going by that his range is like... 13-22-ish (base, mind you). Seems like an odd range to have 13-23 though, most stuffs, at most, 6 apart, not 10.

Edited by Adhin

Def Con: kills owls dead

Absolutely no idea. But my Wolf has landed some rather solid base hits. I think it's on par with Sabre.

Some basic examples right now. ituumak grazed a Shadow for 13.2 dmg before DT. 13.2! That 'would' of been 26.4 normal dmg hit. Granted, DT kicked in and lower it but you get the idea. 13.2 graze is pretty solid. Now, as far as % go, they currently have x1.12 from lvl, and x1.15 from vicious companion. That's a combined (multiplicative) 1.288 dmg boost. So with out that bonus they would of hit for about 20.5.

So... that's the best I can do. I know they can hit, at base, around 20. I've seen lower like 18-ish

Now, my Wolf, Paws, grazed for (same fight, lower dmg) 11.7 dmg, that would be 23.4 dmg if it was a normal hit. Same talent/lvl dmg boosts going on so.. if I had to wager a general guess I'd say there dmg range is a class higher then player 2H weapons. Probably closer to Druids shifted form base dmg. Something like 16-24 or 18-24... something around there. Honestly not sure why people think animal companions are bad, there base dmg seems pretty solid and there an additional unit. If this was some MMO there dmg would be like 15% yours... not higher then a 2H'er lol. Definitely feels more DnD in that regard.

-edit-

Not sure where else to put this so figured I'd throw it out here since your asking about Rangers by extention of asking about companions. :p

Anyway, looks like a lot of 'Ranged' abilities Rangers get actually also work with Melee weapons in case anyone was itchin' to make a Melee ranger (such as my self). Some quick examples? Quick Aim? Works with melee (one of the only ones that actually states this). Also 'Wound Shot' Yeah turns out its wounding 'hit'... works with melee lol.

I'm sure Driving Flight is, obviously, ranged only since it's a missile pierce passive but I have a feeling the rest of the modals might allow melee, at least 1 other. Either case permanent 20% IAS is nice.

-re-edit-

So lowest I've seen my Wolf do is 16.7, that's basically 13 base dmg. So... 13-20 for wolf... maybe? And that was a hit, not a graze. But 13 * 1.288 is about the 16.7 I saw in the combat log. That's about the same as a 2H weapon. As an aside, even though Ituumak has the same Might as players Wolf Companion I think it has a higher base dmg.

...and he just grazed for 14.5 dmg, that's 29 normal hit. No other bonuses besides that x1.288. I'm throwin' my hands up on this one, going by that his range is like... 13-22-ish (base, mind you). Seems like an odd range to have 13-23 though, most stuffs, at most, 6 apart, not 10.

I'm actually running an estoc-melee ranger,  wounding shot/merciless companion,  but it would be nice to know how much damage my stag does at base for further talent options. 

The biggest problem with animal companions is that they do not scale to the difficulty.
That means their defenses are often VERY low, which draws enemies like flies to honey.
On PotD enemies will almost always drop what they are doing to murder your pet in a second flat.

The biggest problem with animal companions is that they do not scale to the difficulty.

That means their defenses are often VERY low, which draws enemies like flies to honey.

On PotD enemies will almost always drop what they are doing to murder your pet in a second flat.

in baldur's gate you could keep your pet in a bag for safe keeping.. They learned nothing :p ..

WPNTVf7.jpg

Bear does not die on POTD this is a fake info going on forums since release , i am playing with a bear pet right now and he can tank 1 add for days and he can tank 2 if you concentrate on killing those , ofc bear wont be able to tank Ogres , Forest Lurkers and other bigg stuff but biggest challenge on POTD is geting attacked by 10-20 enemies at once and bear can help you hold the front line really well 

@Dukefx : dmg bonus are multiplicative, attack/recovery speeds aren't. It's been stating a few times. And you can hit for 100+. Friend crit-sneaked for 150 earlier in his game, and I can promise you that wasn't because dmg multipliers where additive. :p

As to the other stuff... yeah pets defenses are pretty low. Bear has some good base DR though. I originally thought we got x1.5 dr boost at 3, and quickly realized it was +1.5 which is a pretty big let down. Either way, bear definitely has the tanky advantage with the base 11 DR. +3 from fear +whatever from lvls. Keeps em in line (other then slash/pierce) with Full Plate. Priest helps out a lot on that front too. Druids good for the regen which is what I'm using atm, shes got a pike so sits on the back lines. I also don't expect pets to 'scale' with PotD. That would be silly unless all of are stats scaled with it which would be rather pointless. That said, would be nice if there was a good deflection boost for pets via some talent or other, atm they sit rather low sadly. Throw a Psion and Priest in the mix though and Bear DR is pretty crazy.

...also, Baldur's Gate didn't have proper pets, they just copied over Wizard familiars which is a pretty big bummer far as I'm concerned. Bear woulda been a lot more useful heh.

Edited by Adhin

@Dukefx : dmg bonus are multiplicative, attack/recovery speeds aren't. It's been stating a few times. And you can hit for 100+. Friend crit-sneaked for 150 earlier in his game, and I can promise you that wasn't because dmg multipliers where additive. :p

As to the other stuff... yeah pets defenses are pretty low. Bear has some good base DR though. I originally thought we got x1.5 dr boost at 3, and quickly realized it was +1.5 which is a pretty big let down. Either way, bear definitely has the tanky advantage with the base 11 DR. +3 from fear +whatever from lvls. Keeps em in line (other then slash/pierce) with Full Plate. Priest helps out a lot on that front too. Druids good for the regen which is what I'm using atm, shes got a pike so sits on the back lines. I also don't expect pets to 'scale' with PotD. That would be silly unless all of are stats scaled with it which would be rather pointless. That said, would be nice if there was a good deflection boost for pets via some talent or other, atm they sit rather low sadly. Throw a Psion and Priest in the mix though and Bear DR is pretty crazy.

...also, Baldur's Gate didn't have proper pets, they just copied over Wizard familiars which is a pretty big bummer far as I'm concerned. Bear woulda been a lot more useful heh.

Damage multipliers are summed and then multiply base damage.  --- The boards have called this additive since some backer beta version because previously:

Damage multipliers were were all multiplied together with base damage.  --- This led to higher then intended damage for classes with multiple damage modifiers.  Historically this was called "multiplicative" .   I'm quite certain that Pillars is using "additive" in this context.

• Like 1

Why stop there ?  Why not have your character scale to difficulty ?

• Like 1

@tdphys : that's weird, would make sense but not sure how any of the damage makes sense going off that. I wonder if fine/superb is considered 'base damage' once its augmented a weapon then? Or if Might bonus is also outside the combining of all skill dmg %. Reason i say that is how do you get 150 outa just a sneak attack crit if nothing is multiplicative? Assuming the crit 50% IS multiplicative, which would make sense but nothing else is... if you rolled max dmg your looking at 124.74 dmg. That's a good 30-ish dmg shy of 150 after DR.

Now, if Superb, Might bonus and Skill bonuses are all multiplicative (but lets say all skill bonuses are additive with in there own catagory) that would get you 159.7 and things start making a bit more sense. If that's the case, then he was right about the Wolf thing, both the skill % dmg (12 and 20%) would be added together either way... well maybe. The 12% might be considered the same as a 'fine' bonus or something.

Meh, this just kinda leaves me confused as to the exact thing going on with percents. Maybe it's all additive and he just had some freak occurrence.

Bear does not die on POTD this is a fake info going on forums since release , i am playing with a bear pet right now and he can tank 1 add for days and he can tank 2 if you concentrate on killing those , ofc bear wont be able to tank Ogres , Forest Lurkers and other bigg stuff but biggest challenge on POTD is geting attacked by 10-20 enemies at once and bear can help you hold the front line really well 

All of the pets are pretty bad, you have to at least admit that. That "1 add" he's tanking is probably a Sporeling or some other garbage tier enemy. Anything that has any serious punch is going to shred any pet to pieces. 

Well point is that bear is wayyyyyy better than others tho

And 1 wild sporeling can clear ur backline if they dont use much armor!!!

And i agree that i shouldnt invest 3-4 talents into my pet to make it somewhat half good

Edited by Exoduss

Well point is that bear is wayyyyyy better than others tho

And 1 wild sporeling can clear ur backline if they dont use much armor!!!

And i agree that i shouldnt invest 3-4 talents into my pet to make it somewhat half good

I don't know....I look at the companion  like a mobile extra weapon set rather then a tank... as long as you keep it alive, it's doing decent bonus damage you wouldn't otherwise get.  I tried a stag and a bear,  the stag seems to do decent damage, but the bear just kept whiffing (missing) all over.  The stag power is pretty lame,  only does a fraction of  damage, and it's a one off.  Should be a passive constant IMHO.

In  a pinch,  I'll have the priest cast withdraw on the companion so as not to have it die and debuff my ranger

I use a ranger for one of my games and the bear has a natural DR of 13 (talented). I generally buff everyone with the L1 priest armor buff, so the bear is DR 18 for most fights.

To say he gets 1 shot at the start of battle is pretty much the opposite of reality.  

And in any case, the bear's job is to die. He runs ahead of the tank line, draws melee enemies, and the nukes all center around it.  

The best ability of ranger pet is that their health never decreases and can die every fight without issue, unlike characters.

If people are trying to think of the bear as a 7th character, that's not how it works. The bear is just 1 ability that comes with the Ranger class, much like the skeletons are part of the Chanter class. Disposable summon for tactical purposes.

I use a ranger for one of my games and the bear has a natural DR of 13 (talented). I generally buff everyone with the L1 priest armor buff, so the bear is DR 18 for most fights.

To say he gets 1 shot at the start of battle is pretty much the opposite of reality.  

And in any case, the bear's job is to die. He runs ahead of the tank line, draws melee enemies, and the nukes all center around it.  

The best ability of ranger pet is that their health never decreases and can die every fight without issue, unlike characters.

If people are trying to think of the bear as a 7th character, that's not how it works. The bear is just 1 ability that comes with the Ranger class, much like the skeletons are part of the Chanter class. Disposable summon for tactical purposes.

So much this.

Additionally their lack of athletics means they will die or cause more rests.  Pick one ..  I usually picked the first.

So in other words, the use of a Ranger is to massively sacrifice their damage with letting their pet round up enemies and die, when a Fighter tank could round up the enemies and not die?  When the pet dies, Ranger damage drops off the map; negating any reason to use them at all.

It was suggested that they still offer "utility", but utility doesn't matter if you're doing 2/3rds the damage of a Cipher or Wizard that can offer way more utility and can shoot a gun or bow when they can't cast spells too.

Edited by Sanctuary

Ranger companion base damage is 11-17. 13-19 for wolf. Boar deals x1 damage (whatever that means) when below 50% endurance.

Predator's Sense (skill) gives +50% damage against targets suffering from damage over time.

Merciless Companion (talent) is supposed to give +30% damage against Blinded, Flanked, Hobbled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Prone, Stuck, Stunned or Weakened targets.

Marked Prey can add another +40%.

So on average, an animal companion deals 14 damage, while wolf deals 16.

It's easy to get about 14 + 7(Predator's Sense) + 4.2(Merciless) + 5.6(Marked Prey) = 30.8 damage per attack from animal companion, with the catch that Marked Prey is a lash effect. It goes against 25% of enemy DR. It's likely the other components are also separately applied against DR.

This way, a wolf can deal 16 + 8 + 4.8 + 6.4 = 35.2 damage against an enemy with 0 DR.

There's also a talent giving +15% damage. I don't take it, that's too low for me.

A bigger problem is Animal Companion accuracy. It's 60 at level 12.

There are probably some errors in the calculations above, but they could serve to troll peddroelm into posting detailed stats.

Their attack speed is very slow (slower than 2handed user in plate armor) .. Their design goal isn't dealing damage.. So I don't know why they wasted so many perks on ranger on buffing stuff that isn't supposed to deal significant damage in the first place .. 

Its hard for me to do proper damage tests with ACs -> unlike weapons I cannot console summon more and find their stats quickly so I can then eliminate damage roll RNG .. Might think of something in the future - but right now I don't have a solution ..  Might have to recruit a fresh ranger at some inn  to catch the AC "weapons" when they are summoned into the game .. Not a very interesting testing avenue for me because see above ..

IF they made the animal damage buffing perks also affect the ranger (even in smaller amounts) it would've probably made too much sense ..

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg