Armor Enchantment Bug

firesnakearies

Question

I've noticed an odd bug related to enchanting armor.  I first discovered it with the plate armor called Sanguine Plate.  I enchanted this armor to have shock-proofing, and then enchanted it to have +1 constitution.  Combined with the two innate properties on the armor, this gave it 5/12 enchantment slots full.  It had no quality enchantment at all.  When I later went to enchant it to exceptional quality, I found that despite having the materials and level requirement, and the armor only having 5/12 enchantment slots full, I was not allowed to put any quality enchantment on it.  I couldn't figure out why this could possibly be, but I eventually chalked it up to, "Oh, I guess items can only have four enchant properties max, regardless of the enchant slots number remaining."  Which I wasn't amused by, but c'est la vie.

But then later, I enchanted a weapon, Tall Grass, to have five enchantment properties, so my curiosity was aroused anew.  I did a little experimenting with a different armor, the Sun-Touched Mail of Hyran Rath, which, like the plate armor mentioned previously, came with two innate properties, not including any of the player-enchantable enchant types.  So I tried enchanting it similarly to the Sanguine Plate, first adding a +1 intellect enchant, then adding crush-proofing.  And again, despite having only 6/12 enchantment slots full, it would not allow me to add a quality enchant.

So then i re-loaded my save and did it differently, this time adding the fine quality enchant first, then adding the other two enchantments, and it allowed me to do it.  So I ended up with the same armor, with six enchant properties, including the two innate to the item, plus a quality, attribute, and proofing enchantment.  This is the same item that it WOULDN'T let me make when I put the non-quality enchantments on first.

What I think this means is that there's a bug which screws up whether or not you can add a quality enchantment to an item, based on the order in which you enchant it, if there are at least four properties on the item.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the enchantment slots (x out of 12) because in all cases, the items were far below the cap of 12.

Edited by firesnakearies

2 answers to this question

I've noticed this as well. But it's been a long day, and i want to start my play through after the patch. Can someone make a TL;DR version on how to avoid this bug? It'd be swell man.

This should go to the tech support forum with an attached saved game and a list of steps to repro :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus