Items disappearing in Cilant Lis.

Beastro

Question

After you're Awakened and am about to leave the zone in my new game I noticed that when I returned back to try to unlcok the extra traps in the ruins for Exp that my chest piece and main handed wep were gone. I reloaded my quicksave at the CS zoneline to Valewood and found them still missing, had to reload to just after I'd beaten the spiders and before Awakening to get them back.

Later I returned with a full party to try the traps again and kept in mind that this might happen. As soon as I zoned back into Cilant Lis I checked my guys and about half of their items were missing, mostly main handed weps, armour and everyones neck slot items. Shields and ranged weps (ranged all being in my second slots) seemed to be ignored on everyone.

Sufficet to say I reloaded back to the save I made in Gilded Vale before I left and continued on avoiding going back again, still I'd like to grab that Exp sometime.

I'm using IE mod, btw, if this helps/is a possible contripbuter to the bug.

19 answers to this question

Hey Beastro,

I've given this a few attempts on my end with no luck. Can you link me a few save files?

Thanks

Gonna link three saves to show you. Here's the second (I hope these are uploading).

f8a90377afde4452a311c857a58294a7 7684361 CilantLs is the reload when I noticed my stuff missing.

Hey Beastro,

I've given this a few attempts on my end with no luck. Can you link me a few save files?

Thanks

f8a90377afde4452a311c857a58294a7 8198338 GildedVale is when I decided to return to CS and try my mechanics out.

When I was digging around to filter the traps created by chanter rime and frost from my savegames I noticed that if there is a corrupt "chunk" in a save the game still loads, but everything after that corrupt chunk is ignored. For the first iteration of my cleaner with slightly wrong handling this meant that my characters lost most of their equipment. Maybe this is also due to save file corruption? Might be caused by HD errors or whatnot.

The things that will make debugging the possible corruption hard are that the game doesn't give any error to user when loading a corrupt file, it just silently aborts when hitting the corrupted region and that after the game has been loaded and resaved there are no hints of such corruption in the save anymore, as everything after that corrupt record just gets tossed away.

Edited by Depili
  • Like 1

I think failing quitly on unacceptable, detectable and almost certainly detected failures is something they learn in modern game development ... I've been annoyed by these quiet failures in other games as well. I think this kind of cover up shows a really bad mindset towards your customers and frankly it's unacceptable in a game this riddled with bugs.

Even if failing forward is the default program behaviour even on the most heinous of failures because you consider it the best PR ... at least bloody log stuff like this. I'd prefer an ini setting as well "If the game state is so corrupted that playing on is just stupid, would you like to get a warning?" but at the very very very least bloody log it.

I don't have that and not sure I'd want to put more of my personal information on the internet for just a 14 day trial. :/

I don't know too why we should use dropbox. This paste site has a working upload with timelimit, directlinks and nothing fancy and scarry attached. No bulliing javascirpt, no scarry advertisements, no premium accounts, no register to download faster. It just works:

https://www.privatepaste.com/upload

Edited by Xaratas

No, I am not currently using any mods. I noticed the items were missing after I zoned into Stormwall Gorge from Cliant Lis.

Is it possible that all of the items that disappeared were items that you got off of Calisca and Heodan?  If so, you may be encountering this problem: [bug] Disappearance of equipment dropped by early companions

Mine weren't. The main thing I noticed gone was the xaurip spear I was using as my main wep as well as the clock from the ruins.

I don't know too why we should use dropbox. This paste site has a working upload with timelimit, directlinks and nothing fancy and scarry attached. No bulliing javascirpt, no scarry advertisements, no premium accounts, no register to download faster. It just works:

https://www.privatepaste.com/upload

Thx, for the link! I'll us it!

... wait how do you use this? I upload a save and all it does it prompt me to download it again, no link or anything.

... wait how do you use this? I upload a save and all it does it prompt me to download it again, no link or anything.

Oh, thats a bit tricky and the only minor drawback of this paste site. It redirects you automatically to the download link, and if the browser can not show it directly, as with savegames, it will start a download, let this run and choose "copy download link" from your chrome/firefox/ie/… download manager.

This link can you post here. It does not have the filename in it, but it works non then less.

(Hope my english is understandable)

Same Problem all involving Cilant Lis, Spoiler of first 2 hours

Description:

Items equipped or inventory of follower disappear when they die and looted after save/loading. Scale mail from Calisca did not disappear because I was wearing it when she died.

I play PotD and gather a lot of items. When I exit the dungeon and the event starts where the 2 followers die, I can still loot all the equipment. But when I save the game and then load the items I looted disappeared from inventory/stash. Alternatively if I look at the bodies, don't loot and then save and then load look again and save and load their gone as well.

How to Reproduce 1:

Load Savegame 1.  > do the event where followers die (result = savegame 2)>  loot the corpses and save  (result=savegame 3)> load this new save.

How to Reproduce 2:

Load Savegame 1. > do the event where followers die > inspect the corpses loot but dont take anything > Save the game > Load the game > the bodies are gone but loot is still their > inspect the loot but don’t take anything > save the game > load the game > inspect the loot and you see all items gone.

How to Reproduce 3:

Load Savegame1 or 2 > Loot the corpse > Go to Valewood or back in the dungeon > Go back to Cilant Lis outdoor area and you notice items are gone

If you save and load while inside the dungeon or Valewood the items won't disapear. So it's all about the follower bodies and the outdoor Area of Cilant Lis. However this is a dangerous solution as it's unknown if future events cause it as well.

Note: All the unused items are in my stash. 

Savegame:

1. Cilent Lis 16:20= inside the dungeon before exiting

2. Cilent Lis 17:40 = outside followers dead but no items disappeared  <------------Not present see *more info   (but How to Reproduce 1 explains what stage this is)

3. Cilent Lis 17:42= Outside result after loading 2

Workaround

Before exiting the dungeon unequip all the items of your 2 followers and give them to your main. 

Leave nothing in your followers inventory either. 

Game info: 

Difficulty: PotD

Class: Human Paladin

Progress: 99% of Cilant Lis

Game version:

GoG Pillars of Eternity v1.0.4.540

Language English

Output log:

see *more info

System Specs

Windows 8.1 64bit

Intel i7-4770k

32gb ram

Geforce GTX 770 4Gb

DirectX 11

(special sound card)

see *more info

More info:

For any more detailed info about System specs or output log please send me a message with email address to which I can send it too.

bug_poe_rem-items-follower-death2.zip

I play PotD and gather a lot of items. When I exit the dungeon and the event starts where the 2 followers die, I can still loot all the equipment. But when I save the game and then load the items I looted disappeared from inventory/stash. Alternatively if I look at the bodies, don't loot and then save and then load look again and save and load their gone as well.

See the link I posted earlier in this thread.  (I believe what you are reporting has the same cause.)