I'm kinda little pissed that I missed this Talent from the Undying Heritage quest. I just found out later when I was about to finish the game.

Gift From The Machine +1 Might 1.05x Maximum Endurance

You get this talent from choosing a 3rd option when dealing with the Engwithian Machine. This third option lets you absorb the souls from the machine when the guy on top of the tower asks you to go to Icantha and get a source of sustenance for him. This "sustenance" is the group of slaves inside Icantha's house. 

What I did "wrong" in this quest is that when I entered Heritage Hill, I explored the map first before going up the tower. That includes going to Icanthas house and eventually freeing the slaves without me knowing that there's a purpose for that. When I went up the tower, a 3rd option is nowhere to be seen because I already freed the slaves.

What the hell?! Just because I explored the surrounding area first, and now I don't get to acquire a Talent? This 3rd option may be a "Cruel/Negative:Defiance Bay" option but I wanted it anyway. Who doesn't want more DPS and hit points?

Anybody also missed this talent?

Edited by Veynn

You can add this talent to your character retroactively by using IE mod. 

I decided against feeding Aldhelm in my first playthrough, not knowing what I'd miss. When I found out, I just did it differently in my next plathrough.

What the hell?! Just because I explored the surrounding area first, and now I don't get to acquire a Talent? This 3rd option may be a "Cruel/Negative:Defiance Bay" option but I wanted it anyway. Who doesn't want more DPS and hit points?

My Paladin just chopped that sick wizard to pieces, role > stat bonus.

• Like 3

Why being pissed off for a roleplay thing?

It's all the same all along the game, sometimes you can make choices that brings you better rewards / reputations / experience but still are not in the philosophy you follow. This is what is fun about this game, that also adds a nice replay value to explore other possibilities. I didn't even know there was a talent bonus if you were doing what you did. :)

If you REALLY want to get every possible bonus and maximum reward, then you just have to activate the option that shows you what you can get at each answer or to reload every time you talk to a npc. But it's not that fun imo.

• Like 1

That's the thing. I never knew there was a 3rd option until its too late. I mean, when I enter a new map, I usually scout the surrounding area first before I go to the main target. 

I think it's more of a bad quest design rather than a role-playing issue. Freeing the slave before going to the tower should have a plot barrier of some sort. Hell, when I freed the slaves, Icantha didn't mention anything at all. She should have attacked me. Even better, the door should have been unpickable until you do something with Icantha.

Oh well.

I'm kinda little pissed that I missed this Talent from the Undying Heritage quest. I just found out later when I was about to finish the game.

Gift From The Machine +1 Might 1.05x Maximum Endurance

You get this talent from choosing a 3rd option when dealing with the Engwithian Machine. This third option lets you absorb the souls from the machine when the guy on top of the tower asks you to go to Icantha and get a source of sustenance for him. This "sustenance" is the group of slaves inside Icantha's house. 

What I did "wrong" in this quest is that when I entered Heritage Hill, I explored the map first before going up the tower. That includes going to Icanthas house and eventually freeing the slaves without me knowing that there's a purpose for that. When I went up the tower, a 3rd option is nowhere to be seen because I already freed the slaves.

Anybody also missed this talent?

In my run where I got it I left Icantha's fodder alone because I wasn't dashing around doing good deeds compulsively for no reason. If you are playing that character, then it seems fair to miss it? I mean, I get that a lot of people don't realise there's the third option in the tower then feel like it's a non-choice because of precisely what you've described but it doesn't seem that unreasonable as a design to me.

Edited by Blovski

wow i didnt know there is permanent stat buffs other than the blood ritual, does anybody know if there is more perm stat bonuses other than heritage hill?

i dont wanna miss them :p

There's one at the 3rd act, when you ented the inn in Hearthsong, a npc gives you a quest where apparently some friends of him got lost in the woods and are hunted by Fangs. You can then chose to help one of the 2 factions, and if at the end of it you ask for "knowledge" as rewards, you can get one buff.

There's a second one still in act 3, if you go in the Wolf's cavern in Oldsong and help a npc who lost her sister in the frost cavern.

Those are the only ones i found so far. (I hope my instructions are clear enough...)

• 1 year later...

That's the thing. I never knew there was a 3rd option until its too late. I mean, when I enter a new map, I usually scout the surrounding area first before I go to the main target. 

I think it's more of a bad quest design rather than a role-playing issue. Freeing the slave before going to the tower should have a plot barrier of some sort. Hell, when I freed the slaves, Icantha didn't mention anything at all. She should have attacked me. Even better, the door should have been unpickable until you do something with Icantha.

Oh well.

bumping this because: Yup yup yup.

I missed the Gift from the Machine and it sucks. Bah.  

You could have led the little girl from the crypt to the top of the tower.

And look at it like that: either you are cruel or you are not. Why free the slaves at all, why save the girl if you are such an evil badass? ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Doesn't work. She will not deliver any essence because she's a vessel, too.

There could have been an option to feed him one of your party members (see Blood Pool/Effigy's Resentment). Devil of Caroc shouldn't work either.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

WHAT!

Consequences from your choices and actions in a role playing game? The Horror!!!!

Next people will be asking that quest givers be made essential and that we have like a compass or something to direct us to where we need to go. :)

• Like 4

Ye i dont get this rant. I dont understand how your character can go from saving slaves to sending them to be eaten by someone. This is RPG maybe try role playing some. If you are just trying to power game which is fine then just read a guide and see how to get stuff but its a little weird to complain about making choices in a role playing game.

I'm not complaining that RP choices has influence on the outcome. I thing it's bad that

a) I never got the chance to do the evil dialog option because I just have done that area in another order (First small house, then large tower)

b) The cool talent can be missed that easy. Maybe they could have add another talent for a good dialog option too. That would have been a choice. 

Think about it in character: your character enters a ghoul filled district, they find a lucid ghoul with a room full of people for food, they free them. At what point along that line would a mysterious voice shout out 'wait, you're risking missing a reward by freeing the dudes'?

To block the option of freeing them before doing the tower would be lazy role-playing.

Also I can assure you that the talent isn't as exciting as it sounds. It's nice for monks for whom health is basically mana but for everyone else it's basically +1 Might which is a miniscule damage increase (+3% additive means a lot less than +3% in absolute terms (most the time)).

• Like 1

WHAT!

Consequences from your choices and actions in a role playing game? The Horror!!!!

Next people will be asking that quest givers be made essential and that we have like a compass or something to direct us to where we need to go. :)

Next thing you'll tell me it is possible to play a computer RPG without killing things!

Joe

CRPGs are replayable. The Devs can't possibly account for every single option a player can dream of. I would think most players are not attempting the totally evil kill em all route on play thru Alpha. Hence the current in game setup.

Edited by Blades of Vanatar

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Next thing you'll tell me it is possible to play a computer RPG without killing things!

That's not possible in CRPGs because it's not possible in any RPG. If you look up "player character" in a thesaurus one of the synonyms is "murder hobo" ;)

One Word : "undertale"

Even a cruel and selfish character would not just normally agree to work with a mad zombie mage-scientist, and surely would not expect to get a real reward if he does. But anyway you do get a nice reward if you help him feed on slaves but still it is a question if you wish to be THAT EVIL.

Oh well.

All the good RPGs have one thing in common: you can't perfectly plan or foresee the consequences of all your actions, not even of those actions that may seem somewhat casual or insignificant - e.g. exploring the whole map first before entering the tower.

And look at it from a relative perspective: the bonus is barely noticeable - the bonus "gift from the machine" is comparable to eating a piece of savory pie during midgame (although the gift is permanent, I know). If you'd do that with only your main char (not the whole party) without knowing, I guess you would not notice any difference in battle. 

Edited by Natures Bounty