How do you guys bring yourself to read?

I don't mind any form of technical reading. I love short descriptive, efficient sentences that empower me to solve a problem.

But god damn it man, how the hell do you guys bring yourselves to read all the text in this game?

I could not finish Divinity Original Sin due to all that god damn reading. I tried drinking strong coffee, but it didn't help. Do you think I should consider some kind of legal methamphetamine for Pillars of Eternity?

I feel like I've been baited and switched.

The beginning of this game was excellent:

[pic]

But once the lack of voice acting creeps in, it's just sooo hard to stay interested in the game.

Don't worry, it will come naturally to you, after you pass 2nd grade. :smug:

Edited by jools1980

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

@OP

A quick question before I dedicate time for a full answer: Are you a MOBA or FPS player, by any chance? No offence meant.

Oh God, let's please not go down the "I'm not calling you stupid, just that the types of games you play are made for stupid people" route.

I actually wanted to point out that I grew up reading books and studied literature at university.

However, when I got stuck playing league of legends and after that dota 2 for almost 5 years (a couple thousand hours), around age 23-28, I had a rather hard time sitting down with any kind of fiction and not scream at the slow pace of the book. I was doing alright studying and reading technical documentations, but I had to force myself to sit for 30 minutes and read fiction, and even to play point&clicks and RPGs because I knew I was losing a piece of myself that I found way too important to just let go. It took a while to get back, but it only took time, patience and letting go of habits that were not beneficial in the long run.

It all comes down to supernormal stimuli, as discussed in this comic.

http://www.stuartmcmillen.com/comics_en/supernormal-stimuli/

Hi luzarius, :)

Most of the characters in the game have at least some amount of voice acting, at minimum a greeting. I imagine reading the rest of the dialogue using that voice. I think it's so cool that with just a line of voice acting I can really hear the character speaking the rest of the dialogue. Give it a try!

When I come across a wall of text, either in a game or otherwise, I generally take a deep breath and [try to] accept the fact that it will take some time to read through it.

Reading slower might actually be a good idea, too..

I agree! Take your time and slowly absorb each word, letting it draw you deeper and deeper into an immersive roleplay. You're in Eora, eat it up!

@OP

A quick question before I dedicate time for a full answer: Are you a MOBA or FPS player, by any chance? No offence meant.

Oh God, let's please not go down the "I'm not calling you stupid, just that the types of games you play are made for stupid people" route.

I actually wanted to point out that I grew up reading books and studied literature at university.

However, when I got stuck playing league of legends and after that dota 2 for almost 5 years (a couple thousand hours), around age 23-28, I had a rather hard time sitting down with any kind of fiction and not scream at the slow pace of the book. I was doing alright studying and reading technical documentations, but I had to force myself to sit for 30 minutes and read fiction, and even to play point&clicks and RPGs because I knew I was losing a piece of myself that I found way too important to just let go. It took a while to get back, but it only took time, patience and letting go of habits that were not beneficial in the long run.

It all comes down to supernormal stimuli, as discussed in this comic.

http://www.stuartmcmillen.com/comics_en/supernormal-stimuli/

Dota and Lol killed your attention-span.

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine