How do you guys bring yourself to read?

I couldn't finish Divinity: Original Sin either. But that's because I didn't really like the game (blasphemy, apparantly).In PoE the voice acting is annoying. Sometimes the way they say it doesn't even really match the flavor text >.> And once I get into full reading mode, the voice acting is just too slow.

I didn't get very far with it either. I played a little bit into the first city, decided I wasn't very happy with the builds I had chosen, but never mustered the will to restart. I also thought talking sea shells was a little hokey.

I will hopefully go back to it at some point. It does seem like it has a lot of promise.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

In reality, you could probably just skip most of the dialogue and primarily just rely on your journal to tell you what to do. You'd miss a lot of story elements but you could hackn'slash your way through the game.

I couldn't finish Divinity: Original Sin either. But that's because I didn't really like the game (blasphemy, apparantly).In PoE the voice acting is annoying. Sometimes the way they say it doesn't even really match the flavor text >.> And once I get into full reading mode, the voice acting is just too slow.

I didn't get very far with it either. I played a little bit into the first city, decided I wasn't very happy with the builds I had chosen, but never mustered the will to restart. I also thought talking sea shells was a little hokey.

I will hopefully go back to it at some point. It does seem like it has a lot of promise.

The game is pretty bland as far as rpg-s go in single player, I gave it up in half an hour. But then I started playing co op with my brother and ho boy was the game a ton of fun.

We sunk in time like we were kids with our first playstation game and with no memory card

I could not finish Divinity Original Sin due to all that god damn reading.

Wow. The generation gap is bigger than I originally imagined, I guess. D:OS wasn't a particularly text-heavy game. That is to say, Unlike PoE, when you're talking to someone (or something) in D:OS, the game simply does dialogue. It doesn't, for example, spend 3 or 4 lines of text describing what the person looks like, or halt the dialogue every other sentence to give you an overly verbose description of their facial expression changes.

PoE's a different beast. It occasionally DOES cross that line that separates gloriously wordy from unnecessary rambling. But NO, contrary to the whines of the casuals, the solution is NOT to friggin put more voice acting and cinematics in the game. The solution is maybe to...you know....get to the point quicker. And more efficiently.

And weren't you people warned that this game wouldn't be for you? I seem to remember... Oh yes, here it is. A direct warning from the developers: Don't play this game if you dislike reading.

Prob is .. most didn't read the warning so they had no clue....... Such is life...

• Like 2

I gave up "completionist style" reading when I met Maerwald. The split personality gimmick really put me off. After that I only bothered with the parts that I felt I wanted to learn more about.

For example, I had no patience for that dork on top of the Heritage Hill tower...but I devoured everything I could find about the Saint's War, Waidwen and the Godhammer.

Some of the writing is dead boring. Some of it is so exciting it gives me chills. You just have to look for the stuff that interests you.

Having dyslexia and lower than average reading, reading just fine. I Just take my time or just skim some parts that don't seem that important lore vise. The dialogue is section in small parts and it's interesting enough to keep reading it. I have to say though that I do appreciate the small voice acted sections. As for books I skim them by reading a line here and there and if they seem interesting I read the entire thing.

Completely gave up on the backer NPCs though. Huge walls of text that pretty much share no connection to the actual lore and story. Nope just nope...

Having dyslexia and lower than average reading, reading just fine. I Just take my time or just skim some parts that don't seem that important lore vise. The dialogue is section in small parts and it's interesting enough to keep reading it. I have to say though that I do appreciate the small voice acted sections. As for books I skim them by reading a line here and there and if they seem interesting I read the entire thing.

Completely gave up on the backer NPCs though. Huge walls of text that pretty much share no connection to the actual lore and story. Nope just nope...

Oh, great. Now Satan is posting here (based on your avatar). Great job OP!

Oh, great. Now Satan is posting here (based on your avatar). Great job OP!

One would think that people are used to pentagrams when talking about a game that has some historical relation to D&D :D

I, for one, have been fully converted to his wisdom. I think we should start a new kickstarter right away, and raise a couple hundred million dollars so that every dialogue can be voice acted, and why not, transformed into a FMV cutscene.

No, no, no.  Where are your priorities? - we need to start a kickstarter to hire a full-time voice actor to narrate the forums.  I'm tired of reading through post after post, page after page.  I want to be able to hear it all.  Preferably from a VA who can do multiple voices to keep the personalities straight.

A stretch-goal could include narrating the buttons too when you hover over them.  'More Reply Options' is just too much.

• Like 9

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I, for one, have been fully converted to his wisdom. I think we should start a new kickstarter right away, and raise a couple hundred million dollars so that every dialogue can be voice acted, and why not, transformed into a FMV cutscene.

No, no, no.  Where are your priorities? - we need to start a kickstarter to hire a full-time voice actor to narrate the forums.  I'm tired of reading through post after post, page after page.  I want to be able to hear it all.  Preferably from a VA who can do multiple voices to keep the personalities straight.

A stretch-goal could include narrating the buttons too when you hover over them.  'More Reply Options' is just too much.

post-111143-0-95836000-1429235049_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I don't mind any form of technical reading. I love short descriptive, efficient sentences that empower me to solve a problem.

But god damn it man, how the hell do you guys bring yourselves to read all the text in this game?

But once the lack of voice acting creeps in, it's just sooo hard to stay interested in the game.

To quote Sims 3: "Taba flims!" Apparently that makes sims literate so maybe it`ll help you.

*cough* ADD

Sorry the game is meant for people who love to read. Reading allows the creators of the game to paint vivid pictures in your minds eye with wonderful depictions and descriptions that would otherwise not be able to happen with 3D. All the magnifying glass descriptions of descriptions of your environment make me feel more immersed andpart of the world than any game that looks like DA: Inquisition ect.

I like reading.

Plus, I'm an English Lit Major. I read far longer passages of much flowerier language every day. This is downright short and efficient compared to the 18th and 19th century authors.

• Like 1

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

I heard that microsoft sam is a decent  voice actor.

But once the lack of voice acting creeps in, it's just sooo hard to stay interested in the game.

Because voice acting is soo important. Gamers these days omg go play Skyrim/CoD

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine