How do you guys bring yourself to read?

If the game was moddable, I'd write a quick app that lets you highlight over words and give you the definition.

/sigh

So now it's not just that you don't like reading, but you can't understand the words? Obvious troll is obvious.

*shakes head* I guess sometimes being brutally honest catches people off guard. When I used to stream on twitch, I'd always open up the dictionary and look up the meaning of words I didn't know.

Based on your logic, if someone looks up a word in a dictionary, that's trolling? LOL wtf.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

What I do is make sure the game I'm buying matches what I want to play so I don't get stuck in these situations. That said, I am about precise story telling and as good as it is, there is room for improvement. I still want Lax'z 2-3 second transition times!!! I have stupid pc run by stupid person, getting stupid transition times.

If the game was moddable, I'd write a quick app that lets you highlight over words and give you the definition.

/sigh

So now it's not just that you don't like reading, but you can't understand the words? Obvious troll is obvious.

*shakes head* I guess sometimes being brutally honest catches people off guard. When I used to stream on twitch, I'd always open up the dictionary and look up the meaning of words I didn't know.

Based on your logic, if someone looks up a word in a dictionary, that's trolling? LOL wtf.

You seem to be intelligent enough that you actually understand English reasonably well. So let's just say that I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you wouldn't need a dictionary to understand the game.

If you both dislike reading and don't understand the words, than yeah, definitely picking a different game sound like your best bet.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

When I come across a wall of text, either in a game or otherwise, I generally take a deep breath and [try to] accept the fact that it will take some time to read through it.

Reading slower might actually be a good idea, too..

This statement is false.

Havign to stop and look up words you aren't familiar with is exactly why people should read more. It's called accumulating a workable knowledge of the English language. I hardly ever run into words I don't know and if I do I have to look them up too. Adding a dictionary to the game is kind of overkill though.

• Like 6

I am certainly a reader, but I think one issue the game has is it drops you right into the world's lore without much introduction, meaning some of the discussions about gods, nations, and factions can seem arcane until you get the hang of them.  I honestly liked the DA:O system more, where your codex updated with lore as it was revealed in the game.  

I tend to read closely things which I know may be plot or tactics relevant, but skip flavor, because I work full time and have two kids, giving me only a few hours per night to play.  For example, it doesn't take long to realize you're not going to find much of use in the vast majority of in-game books.  I'm glad they were put in there, but the content is clearly skippable.  

• Like 1

This is crazy - Its not like you're being forced to read constitutional law books, its fantasy and is part and parcel of the rpg game experience.  Although some people just dont like to read, so that maybe the problem.  I love reading so dont find it painful at all.  If you cant stand it that much, just skim read it to get the general gist but you run the risk of missing something critical.

• Like 2

I am certainly a reader, but I think one issue the game has is it drops you right into the world's lore without much introduction, meaning some of the discussions about gods, nations, and factions can seem arcane until you get the hang of them.

I didn't know the Forgotten Realms Lore when I played BG or IWD1.  Couldn't have told you the difference between Elminster and Volo and Drizzt Do'Urden looked suspiciously like a developer puked on the keyboard.  I couldn't have told you where Baldur's Gate was, where Athkatla was or where they were in relationship to the Waking Sea or Rashamon or anything like that, who the gods where, what their portfolios were or anything like that.

For me, as long as there's some context I'll have an idea of what is going on even if the finer details may be lost.

1Planescape and Ravenloft 4 evah

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I relate with the OP's problem.

I don't mind reading. In fact I do it all day browsing forums like reddit and reading news.

I loved the writing in Torment and gobbled it up.

However the writing for the BG series I never truly cared for unless it had to do with your companions (i.e. dramatic).

I find myself skimming and skipping a lot of POE's text, especially when it doesn't pertain to your party or isn't of the main plot. For example I pretty much skip all the side quest text to get to the important stuff.

I have never read any in-game books, either here or in BG. In fact I think Obsidian should have chose to at least deliver snippets of lore during the loading screen, because I'm pretty sure the majority of players including myself are never going to check them out because breaking flow of play to read lore is boring (and especially so if you haven't emotionally connected with the characters yet.)

I actually love reading the lore behind games. PS:T and BG got me to look up all the D&D settings books and I gobbled them up, but delivering lore to players in the way POE is just kinda wasteful IMO.

Smoke some good weed in order for the overall feeling of immersion to skyrocket, and reading won't be an issue at all.

And seriously, enough with the voice acting already, i'm glad we've even gotten as much as is currently in the game.

Oh god, what is this, the fourth thread you make on the fact that you have trouble reading?

I came into the thread with the intent to make a joke, but it's just another thread about you whining about unvoiced content.

At this point I'm having a hard time not just telling you "**** off you ignorant twit."

I "bring myself to read" by not being spoonfed ready-to-eat mass-produced nonsense every day, and I learned this mystifying skill by attending grades 1 through 2.

t50aJUd.jpg

Don't be silly, Luckmann. Our old friend luzarius is actually employing a nuanced and sophisticated mode of persuasion. Don't you see? By making his own writing ubiquitous and insufferable, he is awakening us to the nature of his own suffering when he has to read words in a video game without voice acting! 

I, for one, have been fully converted to his wisdom. I think we should start a new kickstarter right away, and raise a couple hundred million dollars so that every dialogue can be voice acted, and why not, transformed into a FMV cutscene.

• Like 7

Havign to stop and look up words you aren't familiar with is exactly why people should read more. It's called accumulating a workable knowledge of the English language. I hardly ever run into words I don't know and if I do I have to look them up too. Adding a dictionary to the game is kind of overkill though.

Overkill, yes. But cool. Everything should come with an easy-to-use dictionary. It would save a lot of headaches.

t50aJUd.jpg

Overkill, yes. But cool. Everything should come with an easy-to-use dictionary. It would save a lot of headaches.

If the dictionary was auto-correct quality I shudder to think what the english language would look like after 5 years. As it is I can't type duck on my phone without it changing to some profanity or another.

You can always not read/fast click away and then toss darts at the screen when a dialogue number choice comes up. ;)

...actually, I feel like I do that half the time because even tho I do read (or at least skim through) it all, I don't remember details for long enough to always feel like I can make an informed decision. :biggrin: In one eye and out the other, sometimes...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Don't be silly, Luckmann. Our old friend luzarius is actually employing a nuanced and sophisticated mode of persuasion. Don't you see? By making his own writing ubiquitous and insufferable, he is awakening us to the nature of his own suffering when he has to read words in a video game without voice acting! 

I, for one, have been fully converted to his wisdom. I think we should start a new kickstarter right away, and raise a couple hundred million dollars so that every dialogue can be voice acted, and why not, transformed into a FMV cutscene.

...;)  And then, just for the OP, he could turn on subtitles in case he can't make out the speech...Oh, wait...but that would mean more infernal reading, wouldn't it?

Q: Why do people who claim they cannot read at the junior high level join Internet forums where the only activity available is reading (and writing)?

A: I don't know, but it seems rather contradictory...;)

• Like 1

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

I am certainly a reader, but I think one issue the game has is it drops you right into the world's lore without much introduction, meaning some of the discussions about gods, nations, and factions can seem arcane until you get the hang of them.

I didn't know the Forgotten Realms Lore when I played BG or IWD1.  Couldn't have told you the difference between Elminster and Volo and Drizzt Do'Urden looked suspiciously like a developer puked on the keyboard.  I couldn't have told you where Baldur's Gate was, where Athkatla was or where they were in relationship to the Waking Sea or Rashamon or anything like that, who the gods where, what their portfolios were or anything like that.

For me, as long as there's some context I'll have an idea of what is going on even if the finer details may be lost.

1Planescape and Ravenloft 4 evah

In fairness, proper nouns are one thing, but some of this game's made-up words make me want to slam my head against a wall. I can see how they would be even more off-putting for someone at a lower level of reading than I.

************** gref.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I like how consistent the references for POE's made up words and terms are. There are clear Celtic, tribal and even druidic vibes in the 'native' Glanfathans, while the Republics' clothing, names, even Pallegina's little quips in her native language, etc. clearly run off Renaissance Italy. 

There is an issue with how loredumpy it is sometimes, which is a feature of  being the first game in a series.

• Like 1