How do you guys bring yourself to read?

I don't mind any form of technical reading. I love short descriptive, efficient sentences that empower me to solve a problem.

But god damn it man, how the hell do you guys bring yourselves to read all the text in this game?

I could not finish Divinity Original Sin due to all that god damn reading. I tried drinking strong coffee, but it didn't help. Do you think I should consider some kind of legal methamphetamine for Pillars of Eternity?

I feel like I've been baited and switched.

The beginning of this game was excellent:

1xz6fc.jpg

But once the lack of voice acting creeps in, it's just sooo hard to stay interested in the game.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Well, first I look at a string of text and try to parse words and punctuations.  Then I try to relate the words to each other so that they create a context within a sentence.  Then using that context I try to further extrapolate sentence context into paragraph context.

Later, I review the content in my mind to determine rising and falling action, foreshadowing, character development, setting and mood.  Occasionally graphs are involved.

• Like 39

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, you're probably going to just love Torment when it comes out, by the sounds of it.

If you're overwhelmed with the text then just remember that you can skip all the gold name plated characters where you only have the option to 'reach into their soul', as their stories were written by backers and have no bearing to the actual overarching plot.

You damn kids and your damn full voice acting.

Why, when I was a boy, we used to read paragraph after paragraph about walking for ten miles in the snow to get to Thay - and we liked it, too!

• Like 13

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Um, I just do?  I find reading to be as easy as breathing, I'm starting to realise this is apparently not normal...

• Like 5

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Are you just trolling us OP? Come on, I get that you're probably young and used to full VO, but reading can't really be this hard for you, can it?

Ever heard of a book? It's sort of like PoE is 40% that.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

For me at least I only play PoE when I:

1) Have time to read (due to RL time constrains) 
2) Is in the "reading and immersion mood"

I think that to enjoy this game 100%, you must have the time to immerse yourself, and be in that certain mood.

Luckily everything is skippable - if you dont care about the lore anyway and only the gameplay. IMO the gameplay in itself is worth it by its own so immersing yourself is not mandatory.

Edited by Ouroboros226

Well, first I look at the words, and then my brain interprets the symbols be to phonetic sounds.  Then, experience has taught me, that English likes these phonetic symbols to be said in the order or left to right, and then, when necessary, wrapping around to the left again once one has run out of space. 

It's just that easy. 

• Like 1

It all started when I was around 4 years old I believe. My mother claims so at least. At first it was really hard but now, after some decades, it is rather easy. You just need to practice a lot, then it's one of the easiest things in the world! 

• Like 2

Coffee makes you more energic and more impatient. Dont ever drink coffe If reading makes you zzzzz..

My advice If you are unwillingly about reading. Read even slower. Not kidding. Maybe you can have fun while doing impresion?

• Like 1

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Well it simple if you dislike reading this is not the game of you.. We have enough of streamlined dumbed down lite cinematic RPG... Pillars of eternity is like fresh air for people like me not interested in micheal bay cinematic rpg crap we have enough of rpg like this...

If you dislike so much reading is ok... But is a your problem opening post after post whining about the lack of voice acting is silly...

This game is text based rpg deal with it

• Like 2

I agree that this may not be the right game for the OP. It seems like this is at least the 4th or 5th time I've seen posts from him struggling with having to read in PoE. If it's causing that much aggravation, maybe the best thing is to simply move onto a game that is fully voice acted.

Dragon Age Inquisition might just fit the bill.

If the game was moddable, I'd write a quick app that lets you highlight over words and give you the definition.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

If the game was moddable, I'd write a quick app that lets you highlight over words and give you the definition.

/sigh

So now it's not just that you don't like reading, but you can't understand the words? Obvious troll is obvious.