If it isn't allowed to replace enchants, please make players aware of that.

Up until now, I only really payed attention to quality enchantement and was thus under the Impression that it was possible to simply override an existing enchantment with a new one. Now, wanting to give my unique pike the elemental enchantment that I wanted for it (corrosive, since the spear is green too) I had to discover that it was in fact not possible to change it and I either have to play with a silly looking weapon for the rest of the playthrough, replay about 5-7 hours or enable cheats in my first potd game.

If it is really seen as necessary to put such a massively inconsistent system into the game, one would imagine that it would at least be a good idea to, you know, tell anybody about it, instead of teaching them in the school of "ha, gotcha!".

• Like 7

That's not as bad as the fact that you can't place an enchantment unless there's the exact room for it (ie if it cost 6, 6 unused slots must be present). 

So if it's 10/12 and at Fine quality, there should be room to make it excellent as that would bring it up to 12/12, but you can't cause you need 6 unused slots..

That being said, I did "ruin" a few weapons like that. But you always find better ones later anyway, so I just considered it a minor nuisance.

• Like 5

Fortune favors the bald.

So upgrading fine to exceptional or superb isn't possible after all?

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

That's not as bad as the fact that you can't place an enchantment unless there's the exact room for it (ie if it cost 6, 6 unused slots must be present). 

So if it's 10/12 and at Fine quality, there should be room to make it excellent as that would bring it up to 12/12, but you can't cause you need 6 unused slots..

That being said, I did "ruin" a few weapons like that. But you always find better ones later anyway, so I just considered it a minor nuisance.

It's not always true that you'll find better ones at all. Unique weapons sometimes have enchants you can't get, and you'll probably end up making it so that you can't upgrade them at all.

So upgrading fine to exceptional or superb isn't possible after all?

I don't think it should be possible at all, at any point, but.. no, it's often not possible, no.

t50aJUd.jpg

Are you sure?

I just tested it and it worked as expected. I went from fine to excellent to superb ending at 12/12

I'm using the beta patch, but I don't recall seeing anything about this in the notes.

I can't at least, if I have all the materiel and the level, but not enough unused slots available - it will simply state that there isn't enough room. I'll try to see if I can make a screenshot.

edit: all right here we are

u4zSK87.png

As you can see I should be able to upgrade to exceptional, since it's only 2 slots more than Fine and that's available - but I can't cause you need all 4. It's a small annoyance however imo and now that I know it just means I have to plan a little better.

But it's somewhat stupid that if I hadn't given it Shocking Lash or Slaying Vessel first, I could've upgraded it fully to 12/12

• Like 4

Fortune favors the bald.

With the current system your stuck waiting till max lvl to get your enchant on with the majority of items in the game, the exception being if it alrdy comes with the Superb trait. So, planning is key, especially with very limited top enchant ingredients.

A flawed system that is very easy to fix just by allowing the game to adjust for enchanting space. Unless one thinks waiting to end game to enchant items is a good thing.

OP -- I would open a bug report with an attached saved game and repro steps in the appropriate section as this really sounds like a bug more than a design decision.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yeah thats always the catch though - you are constantly waiting for something better and by the time it arrives you've wasted game time you could have been playing with an enchanted weapon.  Continue that thought process too long and you'll end up finishing the game without using any of the enchantments.  I find the same thing with collected potions and crafting items.  I am always thinking, "ill probably need that later on", by the time i use it the game is nearly finished and have a mountain of unused consumables !

I don't think Fine/Exceptional/Superb should be enchants at all, but rather base qualities of the items; essentially a Fine Rapier is a different weapon from a simple Rapier, with inherent bonuses. I also feel that there should be more weapons (and armours) like that in the game, that are actually different because they're different, not just because they have this or that enchant.

But if they are Enchants.. then you should of course be able to remove or upgrade enchants, especially if they are progressive (...which is also boooo-riiiiing, but that's beside the point).

• Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

I can't at least, if I have all the materiel and the level, but not enough unused slots available - it will simply state that there isn't enough room. I'll try to see if I can make a screenshot.

edit: all right here we are

u4zSK87.png

As you can see I should be able to upgrade to exceptional, since it's only 2 slots more than Fine and that's available - but I can't cause you need all 4. It's a small annoyance however imo and now that I know it just means I have to plan a little better.

But it's somewhat stupid that if I hadn't given it Shocking Lash or Slaying Vessel first, I could've upgraded it fully to 12/12

Maybe it's calculating the cost before overwriting the previous enchantment or something? 

Not that this would help in your particular case since you need two slots back, but I noticed that you can only have Fine/Exceptional or Damaging. That is, if you already have Fine enchant, and you think you can add Damaging2 on top of that ... well, you can't. Doing so makes "Fine" totally disappear.

So ... if you/someone were short by one, maybe you could enchant with Damaging1, getting rid of Fine and thus gaining 1 point. ... um ... not sure I have the math right, but maybe?

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm playing on normal, but I haven't even really bothered playing around with the enchanting system so far. There is a sufficient amount of dropped unique weapons in the games, and some nicely enchanted ones are purchasable too (and money isn't that hard to come by).

Sure, the issue can be annoying: in fact I was surprised to read about it and would have never thought that enchantments wouldn't have been replaceable. I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way but hey, thanks for sharing. If I'll ever get around to enchanting something, I'll be careful.

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

I don't think Fine/Exceptional/Superb should be enchants at all, but rather base qualities of the items; essentially a Fine Rapier is a different weapon from a simple Rapier, with inherent bonuses. I also feel that there should be more weapons (and armours) like that in the game, that are actually different because they're different, not just because they have this or that enchant.

But if they are Enchants.. then you should of course be able to remove or upgrade enchants, especially if they are progressive (...which is also boooo-riiiiing, but that's beside the point).

I love it as it is to be honest - one of the most annoying things in fantasy games is how utterly crazy you end up looking. I often prefer the simple look of the starter armors/weapons and the fact that I can enchant them to be as crazy as late game spiky-doom armour is great.

Nothing better than walking in, looking completely regularly and unimposing and then dropping the a-bomb spells in their unsuspecting faces. Doesn't work quite as well if you look like Sauron. :)

Fortune favors the bald.

I love it as it is to be honest - one of the most annoying things in fantasy games is how utterly crazy you end up looking. I often prefer the simple look of the starter armors/weapons and the fact that I can enchant them to be as crazy as late game spiky-doom armour is great.

Nothing better than walking in, looking completely regularly and unimposing and then dropping the a-bomb spells in their unsuspecting faces. Doesn't work quite as well if you look like Sauron. :)

I think a better solution would be to not make high-quality armours look utterly ridiculous. Because I share your sentiment completely. I well and truly hate the WoW School of Arms & Armoury that has become so extremely prevalent in modern games.

That way, both of us can get what we want. :3

t50aJUd.jpg

I just found out about this. From the begining I thought the enchanting system here is quite good an the overwriting thing (fine->exepctional) worked simply by, well, overwriting and adding the lacking "anvil points". Turns out I was wrong, and my Adra Argwes will have to be just Fine. Let's just hope there are some better heavy armors later in the game. 

The enchanting system is just really uninspiring.  Inability to remove enchantments, finnicky total enchantments limit where you have to 'game' the system to get the best enchantment combination, etc.  And the magical equipment in the game is just really bland.  Like the Sanguine Plate with its +2 survival taking up a valuable enchantment slot... wow...  that's so useful >_>

• Like 2