Linux version on Steam does not work any more

bluescarni

Question

Hello,

PoE was working fine until yesterday on my linux installation, but today it refuses to work. When I click "Play", simply nothing happens. I also tried to launch the game manually from the command line, to no avail.

The console displays messages like this when I launch the game:

Game update: AppID 291650 "Pillars of Eternity", ProcID 11656, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/yardbird/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/yardbird/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Found path: /home/yardbird/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity
Mono path[0] = '/home/yardbird/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/yardbird/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/yardbird/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono/etc'
Game removed: AppID 291650 "Pillars of Eternity", ProcID 11656

I haven't changed a single thing on my setup since at least a week (e.g., no package updates). I am not sure if steam updated itself today before I tried launching the game, nor I am sure whether PoE received an update today.

Some things I have tried:

- sign into the beta program, same effect,
- disabling the steam runtime, again no difference,
- enabling/disabling the steam overlay, no effect,
- verify integrity of local cache, no effect.

Does anyone have a hint of what is going on? Anything I should try short of just reinstalling the game from scratch?

Cheers!

5 answers to this question

Ok, it might be that something was wrong with steam.

Despite closing and restarting it multiple times, it seems upon further investigation that the process of another game had gone zombie a few hours ago. After dropping the kill -9 on that process, I can start PoE again.

I will close the topic tomorrow if the problem is really solved. Sorry for the noise!

Hi all,

I guess a have the same/similar problem: PoE has been working fine, until today, 04/16. I can start PoE and reach the main menu, but as soon as I try to continue or start a new game, PoE exits immediately. Console output after such a sudden exit:

ExecSteamURL: "steam://rungameid/291650"
Game update: AppID 291650 "Pillars of Eternity", ProcID 4614, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/arthur/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/arthur/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Found path: /home/arthur/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity
Mono path[0] = '/home/arthur/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/arthur/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/arthur/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono/etc'
Game removed: AppID 291650 "Pillars of Eternity", ProcID 4615

I first encountered this issue after having downloaded patch 1.4; but I noticed those gameoverlayrenderer.so-files mentioned in the console output do have a pretty recent timestamp (04/08 & 04/14), so maybe the problem is related to them being updated by Steam. Couldn't tell if this error is just a warning, though, since I usually disable console output on starting Steam. I'm running 64-Bit-Gentoo and wouldn't know of any relevant recent updates on my system (certainly not since yesterday):

528847  232 -rwxr-xr-x   1 arthur     users      236603 Apr 14 01:44 /home/arthur/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so
513193  236 -rwxr-xr-x   1 arthur     users      239855 Apr  8 22:09 /home/arthur/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so

Thanks & kind regards!

Hi bluescarni,

does PoE run again on your system? It doesn’t on mine. I’ve taken a look into the »Player.log«-file and get the impression, a segfault in »libmono.so« (or something, I’m using a different computer right now) may be the cause, rather than those previously mentionend gameoverlayrenderer-files. @obsidian: Would it be helpful if I posted my Player.log-file?

Kind regards!