Cannot stop re-rolling characters...

I do the same thing. After my first playthrough, I went nuts creating different characters until I finally forced myself to start playing. Once I advanced a little ways in I got attached and kept going.

Of course, I've got a handful of chargen programs for other games that let me keep rolling up characters. I can't stop. I don't even play those games.

Send help.

• Like 1

I do the same thing. After my first playthrough, I went nuts creating different characters until I finally forced myself to start playing. Once I advanced a little ways in I got attached and kept going.

Of course, I've got a handful of chargen programs for other games that let me keep rolling up characters. I can't stop. I don't even play those games.

Send help.

Ha. Sometimes I go to the nwn2 vault or whatever it is called and just make characters as well...never play them just make them.

• Like 1

I've probably rolled 16-20 characters by now - then I save at the tutorial campfire (berry pickin' time) and some days later I just delete it. A few I get to Gilded Vale with, then they sit there for "maybe one day." 

Still working on the save of the 1st chr. I ever made. I think I've been saying "I'm getting close to finishing" for a week now. Although this time I think I really am getting close. Really! :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Embrace it! Not the Game (even though this, too), but yourself. I, too am a reroller. It's how we roll ;). Seriously, i also hardly finish any game, yet i get massive amounts if fun tinkering with character builds. You need to accept, that this is, what ultimately draws us to these types of games. Buy it, learn it, build characters, than maybe start making balancing mods, ton's of fun!

I think the entire prologue area could do well with...

1) Skip Prologue. You start off at the Scripted Event of Cilant Lis with Thaos and the machine. Maybe answer some quick "Who are you?" background questions that Calisca asks~
2) Scripted Events of the Prologue. A Visual Novell, "Choose your own Adventure" type introduction to your character, and then you start off at Cilant Lis.

The prologue does get repetitive and tedious, and it feels like a bottleneck into the game that you have to go through to experience the meat of the game. To me, the game begins at Cilant Lis, and it'd be faster to re-roll and to explore the world directly from Cilant Lis, instead of having to redo the caravan thing over and over again.

• Like 2

I think the entire prologue area could do well with...

1) Skip Prologue. You start off at the Scripted Event of Cilant Lis with Thaos and the machine. Maybe answer some quick "Who are you?" background questions that Calisca asks~

2) Scripted Events of the Prologue. A Visual Novell, "Choose your own Adventure" type introduction to your character, and then you start off at Cilant Lis.

The prologue does get repetitive and tedious, and it feels like a bottleneck into the game that you have to go through to experience the meat of the game. To me, the game begins at Cilant Lis, and it'd be faster to re-roll and to explore the world directly from Cilant Lis, instead of having to redo the caravan thing over and over again.

I would use a mod that did this - could be called Berry be Gone!  :thumbsup:

Altho at least in POE it's quicker to get though than Chez Irenicus...

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Send help.

Ha. Sometimes I go to the nwn2 vault or whatever it is called and just make characters as well...never play them just make them.

Same team.  ;)

OP,

Basically it's the lack of voice acting. You reach a part in the game where there is no voice acting and you get bored from all the reaing. So to experience something new and exciting you decide to re-roll a new character.

Try listening to this youtube video, it gives some great advice when it comes to Pillars of Eternity book reading.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfiWFwVF8M

It helps a little bit.

My post was just a little self-deprecating poke at myself. You should try it some time. Humility, honest and fearless self-evaluation, and a little humour can go a long way.  You should probably give up on trying to shoehorn your hangups and perceptions into other people's thoughts and perceptions.  Consider that a little friendly advice, because, like, I care about you as a human being and stuff. (Not really)

For a guy who seems really hung up on the amount of reading in PoE, you sure do create a lot of text. In a different post, in which you yet again insisted on spreading your anti-reading crusade, you brought up hyperlinked definitions for words. Try this one.   ;)

Have a very nice day. 

76prophet, I just want you to know, you are my hero.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Another reason I think re-rolling is mitigated for me is I can create my own henchmen and leave them tooling about in my keep. I've made another death-like fighter and a rogue. I'm going to create a druid next. The henchman system rocks - I think I would have re-started had I not been able to make other characters to fill in at different points in the game for certain tasks (for example I've got a Deep Paths expedition crue who are quite different from my 'critical path' team).

This.

Stick to your main char; try out additional builds via hired companions.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Think yourself lucky you're not playing BG1. My last character took an hour to roll the obligatory 97.

Sure you don't mean 87?

97 would be an insane roll.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I would use a mod that did this - could be called Berry be Gone!  :thumbsup:

I'd use such a mod too, on subsequent playthroughs.

(PS: "Caravan be Gone" might be more a descriptive name, although admittedly not as cute.)

I spend a lot of time making the character that is "for me" so to speak, but at a certain point i get on and start actually playing the game.

With Pillars, i guess i've made ~15 characters, before settling on my current one that i am actually playing the game with, a moon godlike barbarian.

I really like getting to know a game's mechanics, and to have a feel for what a class plays like, so i can theorycraft my ideal character before actually starting - in hopes of avoiding a situation where i'm allready ~10 hours into the game before i realize i need a restart because i messed up my build, or don't like my character.

I do feel like everything has to "fit", for example i use the moon godlike face with the 2 horns, and didnt feel the default moonlike male portrait fitted with his look, so i used the horned fire godlike portrait which i edited to be blue instead of red :

zDO9iZ6.png

i also managed to find a really good blue armor that fits with what the armor in the portrait looks like, so i'm pretty happy all around with how my portrait matches up with the character model.

xosmi.gif

(Not) Bob, a good way to stop restarting is to ask yourself WHY you keep restarting, and try to find a creative solution around it.

For example, I also have a long history obsessively restarting every few minutes. Reason being I'm a perfectionist; I want a "perfect" character with a "perfect" playthrough. During the first several rolls I inevitably make mistakes (in CC or gameplay), and so re-roll to try to fix them. After that I become nervous about making mistakes, so it becomes easier to reroll to play parts of the game I'm already familiar with so I know I won't make imperfect game choices. 

Since my reason to reroll was perfectionism, I found a way around it by designating one character the "perfect one" (particularly my desired race/class/background), then designated a second character the "imperfect one." (Bonus points in that it's not my first choice of race/class/background.) In the "perfect one" I poured all my hopes, dreams, and expectations of a perfect playthrough. Naturally, I soon felt compelled to restart or felt stressed entering new territory (read: post-prologue) since I was afraid of making a mistake. So I'd put forth the designated "imperfect character" to "scout ahead" and make all the mistakes so my perfect character would know what to expect when she got there.

Since there's no pressure on the second character to be "perfect" like the first one, I can stroll through the game not feeling stressed or nervous about making mistakes or imperfect choices.

For example: I've wanted to play a Wild Orlan Hunter since both race and class were announced. I got into a restart compulsion with that character. So I finally made one that I liked stat-wise, played the prologue intro, then stopped. Then I designed a Nature Godlike Druid, pouring mental energy of "this is not supposed to be perfect, I don't care about this character." With that, it was very easy to not only blast through the prologue, but blow through Gilded Vale and most of Act I since I wasn't worried about making mistakes. After that, I took a break with that character and played through the prologue and start of Act 1 with the Wild Orlan without feeling too anxious or needing to restart.

I don't know what your reason for constantly rerolling is, but I hope mine my example helped.

Edited by Faerunner

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

/self-rant

My name is (not) Bob and I am a re-roller.

The same thing happens over and over again. 

1. Get game X (with character creation process).
  2. Exhaust all permutations of character creation.
  3. Play through opening hours 42 times.
  4. Get sick of opening hours.
  5. Shelve game.
  6. Return to actually play in a year or so.

Something might be wrong with me. Games are for playing. Gotta keep telling myself that.

Welcome to my world, friend......:(

For example: I've wanted to play a Wild Orlan Hunter since both race and class were announced. I got into a restart compulsion with that character. So I finally made one that I liked stat-wise, played the prologue intro, then stopped. Then I designed a Nature Godlike Druid, pouring mental energy of "this is not supposed to be perfect, I don't care about this character." With that, it was very easy to not only blast through the prologue, but blow through Gilded Vale and most of Act I since I wasn't worried about making mistakes. After that, I took a break with that character and played through the prologue and start of Act 1 with the Wild Orlan without feeling too anxious or needing to restart.

That's a bit creepy. Those were the exact same character concepts I chose between, assuming hunter=ranger. I chose the wild orlan ranger after playing through the prologue with several versions of the two (different animal companions/shapes/stats).

Back on topic: I used to be a perfectionist too. Reading all the forums and walkthroughs for the best character stats and keeping a walkthrough close at all times to not make "a mistake" while playing. But it got really restrictive. I couldn't even play when the internet connection went down. But after reading through most of the discussions on the DragonAge Origins forum, I saw how people roleplayed their character as a different role than "yourself". That way, they didn't really have to worry about making mistakes. The character acted acoording to his/her personality and the player got to see a lot of different reactions by chosing answers that they personally wouldn't choose.

Now I always choose a role/personality for my character and enjoy seeing how certain choices turn out. I don't feel bad because any mistakes are made by the character, not me. I also stopped min-maxing when I realised that most games are easy enough that you can do fine with sub-optimal stats, so why fret over every stat-point?