Cannot stop re-rolling characters...

/self-rant

My name is (not) Bob and I am a re-roller.

The same thing happens over and over again. 

1. Get game X (with character creation process).
  2. Exhaust all permutations of character creation.
  3. Play through opening hours 42 times.
  4. Get sick of opening hours.
  5. Shelve game.
  6. Return to actually play in a year or so.

Something might be wrong with me. Games are for playing. Gotta keep telling myself that.

• Like 11

Part of the journey is the mistakes you make along the way and what you learn from them.  Don't let fear of mistakes block your enjoyment of the game; embrace your mistakes as part of your story.  After you finish you can always play again and make better choices (and new mistakes).

• Like 6

Different people like different parts of games.

I can understand your feelings, because I do this too. Buy games on sales, playthrough the first few hours - multiple times, and then put them aside.

What it tells me is that I really like variety - for example, the Age of Decadence demo has a wealth of options at the start.

I really this process in Divinity: Original Sin:

I played through the tutorial and the first few fights more than five times with different characters. The learning curve was really nice there.

Can't say the same with POE, though. Played once on Easy, once on Hard, now almost finished Act I on Potd (Dropping to Hard for those ****ing shadows......)

OP,

Basically it's the lack of voice acting. You reach a part in the game where there is no voice acting and you get bored from all the reading. So to experience something new and exciting you decide to re-roll a new character.

Try listening to this youtube video, it gives some great advice when it comes to Pillars of Eternity book reading.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfiWFwVF8M

It helps a little bit.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Embrace it. You bought the game. What law says you're compelled to finish it now, this week, this month, or this decade? If it gives you the enjoyment you expect for your money, awesome.

(I've never finished FO:NV yet it's one of my favorite games f.ex.)

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I've always re-rolled my characters (even if Bioware games with full voice-acting :p).  I've never minded replaying the opening; really its a matter of finding a character that feels right.

Hoping my current Paladin is that character...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Funnily, if I could keep rolling dice I didn't restart as much.  I find it very hard to get the character I want with point buy (because ironically point buy makes the points more important and thus ultimately less forgiving to accidentally gimping your character when you're distracted.)

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

OP,

Basically it's the lack of voice acting. You reach a part in the game where there is no voice acting and you get bored from all the reaing. So to experience something new and exciting you decide to re-roll a new character.

Try listening to this youtube video, it gives some great advice when it comes to Pillars of Eternity book reading.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfiWFwVF8M

It helps a little bit.

My post was just a little self-deprecating poke at myself. You should try it some time. Humility, honest and fearless self-evaluation, and a little humour can go a long way.  You should probably give up on trying to shoehorn your hangups and perceptions into other people's thoughts and perceptions.  Consider that a little friendly advice, because, like, I care about you as a human being and stuff. (Not really)

For a guy who seems really hung up on the amount of reading in PoE, you sure do create a lot of text. In a different post, in which you yet again insisted on spreading your anti-reading crusade, you brought up hyperlinked definitions for words. Try this one.   ;)

Have a very nice day. 

• Like 4

I too used to be a 're-roller' when you could roll virtual dice. But with point-buy type systems I don't feel the same urge. I can still be bad.

With Pillars I haven't. I've rolled two characters. My first was a dandy paladin. I wanted a dual-wielding, floppy-hat wearing Vailian. Maybe this build can work as a paladin but I suspect it's one for the person who has a good understanding of the mechanics. Basically I wanted a fighter / rogue with a paladin vibe. This didn't happen so I started again.

Next I rolled a barbarian. This was my attempt to make a sort of Conan semi-tank. Heavy armour was a biyatch so I went naked two-handed swordsman with high DEX. As I got better gear I put him in Eder's armour with some enchantments and he's OK-ish. I decided to stick with him because frankly I'd gotten about fifteen hours in and couldn't be arsed to start again.

He's reasonably good fun in that the tanks pin the enemy and I dance about chopping the feck out of everything. He's still fairly vulnerable but that's PoE I suppose.

Another reason I think re-rolling is mitigated for me is I can create my own henchmen and leave them tooling about in my keep. I've made another death-like fighter and a rogue. I'm going to create a druid next. The henchman system rocks - I think I would have re-started had I not been able to make other characters to fill in at different points in the game for certain tasks (for example I've got a Deep Paths expedition crue who are quite different from my 'critical path' team).

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Something is definitely wrong with you. You need to start playing the game. And on Hard. Hard is actually easy.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! ;)  

I do play on hard. The first few characters were on normal. That got way too easy really quickly. The next few were on hard, which just gets easier and easier with each new character. I've played most classes into Act 2 content. The curiosity of other builds/possibilities inevitably kicks in and I try something new.  It's a thing that happens when I play games.

Don't get me wrong. The game is great. I'm really enjoying it. I just have to laugh at myself about how often I get caught up by the possibility of the 'next shiny thing' and abandon one character for another. It's a common theme in how I play games. My post really has nothing to do with volume of text, level of difficulty, or anything else really. Honestly, it speaks to my appreciation of the attempt Obsidian has made at offering their vision of something old/something new. I'm digging it. It's my attention span and ease at which I get distracted by possibilities that is the problem (which isn't actually a 'problem'). 

Just plan an NPC-free run next with a wacky party of henchmen. I've done that soooo many times with BG2 using a multiplayer party game cut-and-pasted into my single-player folder. A party of thieves, a party of druids and rangers, a party of clerics and paladins and my memorable bard-only run (not as difficult as you think).

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Spent first week restarting the game before act 2 , it gets even worse when you want to find that party composition that satisfies you compared to only rerolling your first character , i have finished game twice now with the same party i made after 1 week of rerolling , and i am on 3rd playtrough with it on triple crown so yeh , i understand you and i actually encourage you to restart as many times as you want , also clever thing to do is to keep a save after tutorial so you can restart without replaying that part ( assuming you like your PC ) 

Edited by Exoduss

If your PC is perma Blinded , dont worry thats just an icon , it doesnt affect you at all ! same goes for all other crap that perma stays on you also its easily fixable on hirelings but with PC you cant dismiss him from party so just ignore it . Had my Ranger PC Blinded since Before Act 2 untill the end of the game but it was just an icon bug tho no actual effect

• Like 1

Frankly I embrace restarting - took me 18 months to finish BG2 the first time but the icing on the cake was having a game over a year and still having "new content to explore" I was also eternally grateful that someone developed the Dungeon Be Gone mod which I finally installed some time around the 5 year mark.

I like trying out new character and party concepts regardless of how far into the game I take them - after the first couple years I started doing No Reload games which played right in to my love of restarting by forcing me to restart when my character (or party) died (depending on which game).

I love restarting - I'm actually a bit behind schedule with it for PoE only two serious characters since the real release but dozens in the BB.  :yes:

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Op, I do the exact same thing. I'm glad I'm not the only. I just finished dragon age origins last year after shelving it for years. I have 60 hours played in POE and have not made it past caed nua. i usually try to plan for two play throughs to try to get every permutation of story, character, and npcs. I'm usually lucky to get through one though because of all the restarts. I don't feel bad though. I've already got my money's worth. Eventually I will go back to divinity and shadowrun and all the other games I abandoned.

I sometimes wish the internet didn't exist and instead have the days of having to call an extortionate hintline if you got stuck. I get tempted soooo easily to look at solutions and hints or the "best" way for character creation. All of which breaks immersion.

I usually re-roll until I understand the mechanics enough to make a reasonably optimised character and I've found a difficulty setting I like, which has been four times so far (finally settling on expert PotD and a Cipher because I'm lame).

The important thing is to quickly push past the opening area of the game you've done so many times so you can get to the meatier stuff which actually interests you.

I've always re-rolled my characters (even if Bioware games with full voice-acting tongue.png).  I've never minded replaying the opening; really its a matter of finding a character that feels right.

Hoping my current Paladin is that character...

I started as Ranger and have since rerolled as Rogue, Barbarian, Fighter, Chanter, Cipher and now Paladin. Out of all of those I'm liking the Paladin the most. Probably because my replies in dialogue actually matter and a Paladin strikes me as a true crusader on a quest. Having 'visions' and speaking to dead people goes with being a Paladin too I think, who's sort of half Priest, half knight.

I'm beginning to see that a large portion of the worlds' problems are due to a lack of sufficient voice acting. I wasn't expecting to learn such profound truths on a gaming website.

Books are clearly the true evil.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke