Another laptop thread --- desktop replacement.

Monte Carlo

Many years ago (five, actually) I asked a question here about gaming laptops, which led to me getting an Alienware MX-series laptop.

Five years on it's still working just fine. It was a great buy, it's now at the point in it's life-cycle where it will either become a back-up machine / spare or be donated to a nephew. I'd recommend Alienware, FWIW, crap battery-life (comes with the territory) and it'll give you a hernia to carry around but man what a great machine in terms of build quality, reliability and coolness.

Now I want a 17" desktop replacement laptop for my study. I'll mainly be writing on it, and surfing and maybe some light gaming. My main gaming rig lives elsewhere in the Schloss.

I want to try something else other than Alienware this time, just because there's so much out there, so am looking for recommendations.

The brief, ladies and gentlemen: I require a fast, stylish, big-screen multimedia laptop that isn't Apple and I'm not really bothered about price. Am happy to drop two grand UK on it if I have to. A mechanical keyboard would be epic too, can you get a laptop with one?

Any ideas?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Asus G771JW?

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G771JW/

(Core i7, GTX960M, so good for more than light gaming and it's not a monster truck design)

I really like the look of that, 17.3" monitor an' all.

Edit - my only issue with some gaming laptops is the rear-positioned keyboard... it seems squished too far back or is it just a trick of the angle the machine is photographed? I do a *lot* of typing.

4716659972747_ROG_Gaming_G771JW-T7004H_L

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Only thing I lament on my current Alienware is the physical size. It fits in no normal laptop bags =]

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Indeed, I schlep my AW about in a Tactical 5.11 field bag, it fits nicely but it's not exactly what I'd call portable.

But when I get the beast out and boot it up people usually come and take a look because it's awesome in every way.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG