How many of my brethren have also realized the true key to achieving victory and realizing your inner strength is to run at your enemy with your shirt off?

• Like 3

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Yeah Monk needs nerf. ;P

Nonsense. It's not the game's fault Monk makes you feel like the Incredible Hulk, Batman and Superman combined. They just so swole it's impossible to design them as a sub-par class. :D

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Monks are great. Not OP due to the knife-edge nature of playing them (high risk-reward), but when played right they are so fun and do crazy damage. Obsidian did a good job with Monks. :)

It's actually hard to pinpoint if they're OP or not. I think anyone going from any other class to a Monk would grow very nervous watching the Monk's endurance drop, but it's also practically a fact that a Monk will outpace any incoming damage with his own damage. That's what makes Monk so awesome, but it's also kinda hard to bring out the nerf stick vs. Monk because people will debate how consistent it is that Monk outpaces incoming damage. Some calmly use Monk and know that even if he has 10% endurance, he'll drop all enemies before they drop him, others will insist Monk is screwed.

• Like 1

So many people still think monk sucks that I seriously doubt there is any nerfing in the foreseeable future for monks.  Anyways I don't really think monks are OP, they are perfectly balanced if you ask me, not as good as amplified wave, disintegration, or a petrified boss, but great overall.

I have not played monk but my fear is that playing any class that relies on taking damage to perform his / her role in the group will get pwned on PotD when mobs hit rediculously hard. I've heard that a lot of monks run naked to generate wounds faster and attack faster respectively... if this is the case they will get butt-hurt on PotD hardcore... as I stated though, I've never played a monk so maybe these concerts are unfounded due to something I've not thought of.

If my ironman druid dies again, I will try these nudist ways of yours, oh longknife. 

My monk will always be ready for some many-on-ones.

Yeah but if monks are running naked to generate wounds faster then they merely have to upgrade their armor to compensate for harder hitting opponents.  On my monks I usually have decent deflection so I just vary what armor I'm using depending on my opponents.  On hard it goes from naked to enchanted scale (I like Eder's starting armor), on PotD it might go from enchanted scale to enchanted plate.  I don't play on PotD though so I couldn't say for sure.

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

Monks are great. They are incredibly fun to play. I have been dragging my feet finishing my Monk play through because I can't figure out what to play next. I am worried that nothing will be as enjoyable lol. Definitely going to finish the next couple days. Since everyone hates on Paladins and Rangers (Just like the Monk) I am leaning toward one or the other.

I love monks, but I'm not really a fan of Paladin's or rangers either one, they are much less active classes than the monk.  I've actually finished 2 full playthroughs with monk and several unfinished so I'm thinking about trying something else too, very likely a cipher is next.

i don't think that anyone here would say, that monks are too powerful or too powerless. they just have the most counter intuitive mechanics in the game.

either you build him to have as low damage intake as possible, which would prevent wound creation

or you build him to take as much damage without dying for more wound creation.

the latter would mean you have to be very careful, and rest pretty often

the former would go against his active mechanics

there is just no optimal way to go about monk.

but on the other hand, it also means, it is the most noobfriendly class in the game, because you can't really do much wrong either.

The most noob friendly classes are likely the auto attack classes, like a fighter tank.  Not the most interesting however.  Anyways this is the monk appreciation thread, not the monks are for noobs thread, please keep that in mind.

wow... are you serious? you need an own thread, to praise a class without any critique?

that tells me a lot about the confidence in the monk class of those who defend it's mechanics...

The most noob friendly classes are likely the auto attack classes, like a fighter tank.  Not the most interesting however.  Anyways this is the monk appreciation thread, not the monks are for noobs thread, please keep that in mind.

wow... are you serious? you need an own thread, to praise a class without any critique?

that tells me a lot about the confidence in the monk class of those who defend it's mechanics...

There's plenty of threads available to find arguments about monk mechanics already.

i don't think that anyone here would say, that monks are too powerful or too powerless. they just have the most counter intuitive mechanics in the game.

either you build him to have as low damage intake as possible, which would prevent wound creation

Not really. Turning Wheel encourages having as many wounds as possible, and maybe if you're spamming Torment's Reach you want lots of wounds. But you can do very well just disabling enemies with Force of Anguish and kicking them before they get up. My current party has monk on the front line accompanied by Kana and Pellegrina in plates. He doesn't feel squishy unless targeted by range attacks, in which case I send tin cans first. A build like this only needs enough wounds.

There's plenty of threads available to find arguments about monk mechanics already.

and now you feel so downed, that you need some uninterrupted praise?

so this threads purpose is to push some egos or what is it about?

Not really. Turning Wheel encourages having as many wounds as possible, and maybe if you're spamming Torment's Reach you want lots of wounds. But you can do very well just disabling enemies with Force of Anguish and kicking them before they get up. My current party has monk on the front line accompanied by Kana and Pellegrina in plates. He doesn't feel squishy unless targeted by range attacks, in which case I send tin cans first. A build like this only needs enough wounds.

i know, but having just enough wounds would mean, that you have to change your equipment according to every encounter, if you wanted to have it optimized for every encounter.

every other class is much easier optimizable.

but every other class is also much easier to totally screw their build.

monk builds actually can't really be done wrong, which is a plus...

i know, but having just enough wounds would mean, that you have to change your equipment according to every encounter, if you wanted to have it optimized for every encounter.

These points seem to me like they are in direct conflict with each other.

Edited by Climhazzard

These points seem to me like they are in direct conflict with each other.

why? maybe my wording is a bit confusing, let me illustrate what i mean:

monk%20potential.png