Difficulty of the game: very low ... I still love it!

Just wanted to share my opinion as to party combat in PoE. I think that especially the feature of endurance, makes it easier to act with a party, then if you had only health like in BG.

For me personally it was always a big turnoff to lose squishy party members in an otherwise easy fight.

As it is, the only problem with PoE is the overall difficulty being very low. (on PotD)

But I hope modders will rise to the challenge and make it more difficult. :)

Since party members don't die to easy there should be more magic or ranged attackers who target those.

There is already enough (too many) melees who try to engage the rest of the group, but there definitely should be more far away attackers.

Also I'm always disappointed when facing enemy ciphers, which are very lackluster in their use of abilities.

Better AI would elp a lot. :)

But over all a great game, especially well made for begginners in the genre, but also enjoyable for those who have played similar games before.

PotD is easy when you get the hang of things. Honestly, using the badly built NPCs contributes more to difficulty than the enemies.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't find the game challenging, and my perspective is the only one that matters! Therefore the game is too easy! Every encounter should begin with my PC punching me in the face and then stomping on my fingers and then setting me on fire! Anything less is unacceptable!

Seriously though, I'm not really sure what can be done to satisfy your complaints. It's not like the AI in these sorts of games is ever going to be terribly good. If you want an opponent capable of human-level planning and tactics, play a tabletop RPG with a DM or something.

• Like 2

I don't find the game challenging, and my perspective is the only one that matters! Therefore the game is too easy! Every encounter should begin with my PC punching me in the face and then stomping on my fingers and then setting me on fire! Anything less is unacceptable!

Seriously though, I'm not really sure what can be done to satisfy your complaints. It's not like the AI in these sorts of games is ever going to be terribly good. If you want an opponent capable of human-level planning and tactics, play a tabletop RPG with a DM or something.

If that was directed at me, you haven't read my post. ;)

I was asking for raised difficulty by modders, something you actually would have to install to apply it to yourself. I also said I like the lower difficulty in general especially for group play.

As to your question what can be done to satisfy my complaints: just play Baldur's Gate on SCS and you will know what better AI looks like, it's still not on human level, but I didn't ask for that. :) (Even though I play Coop games too, sadly there is nothing truly good in the RP-sector.)

If that was directed at me, you haven't read my post. ;)

I was asking for raised difficulty by modders, something you actually would have to install to apply it to yourself. I also said I like the lower difficulty in general especially for group play.

As to your question what can be done to satisfy my complaints: just play Baldur's Gate on SCS and you will know what better AI looks like, it's still not on human level, but I didn't ask for that. :) (Even though I play Coop games too, sadly there is nothing truly good in the RP-sector.)

This is fair but I still think at least Path of the Damned difficulty should be upped by Obsidian, I mean it's supposed to be for people who want a mega challenge so no harm in making it one. Sure modders will also come along one day hopefully and make it even harder. SCS took years though I bet.

Edited by ComplyOrDie

There will always be a group of 100-200 players that think a game is super easy and was made for toddlers while the remaining 500k+ players are perfectly happy with the difficulty. Can't please everyone.

• Like 1

count me as one of those 500k+

playing on normal became boring for me during Act 2, but starting over, switching to hard and not amping up my party by seeking out members (or buying them) ahead of the plot line, I still get slaughtered any time I get impatient

the players out there who grasp the whole rock, paper scissors thing immediately and never get whacked have my (frustrated) admiration

Also - play on Expert mode. I find that great, and switched back from PotD to Hard with Expert mode. PotD is just more of everything, which adds nothing to my game experience and just bugs me tbh. Unless I've missed something, it only changes number of combat enemies and makes them a little stronger. That is only one facet of 'difficulty'.

Keep in mind that there's some kind of weird Difficulty level bug floating around that you literally won't notice unless you're playing on PotD.

For reasons we still can't explain, the game will force your difficulty down to "Easy" regardless of what you set it to (E/N/H/PotD), even though your menu will keep listing it as whatever you choose.  Manually changing the difficulty via the menu produces no change and enemy density and stats remain at the "Easy" level irrespective of your choice.

Like I said, it's pretty much undetectable unless you know the game very well (i.e. in the intro, you know how many enemies should be in each area) and can identify when enemy density is inappropriate for the difficulty you chose to play with.  This is easier if you chose PotD to begin with, since the difference between Easy and PotD is so massive that it's quite obvious when you're facing half as many enemies which are all substantially weaker than they're supposed to be.

Edited by AlphaMagnum

^ It's a crappy bug, and the easy way to tell is if you ever go to the same area twice and you find less enemies than before. It seems to be utteryl random as to who it happens to and when. 

^ It's a crappy bug, and the easy way to tell is if you ever go to the same area twice and you find less enemies than before. It seems to be utteryl random as to who it happens to and when. 

It is indeed.  I've shelved the game for now since nothing I do, short of reverting 2 hours of playtime, will fix the bug for now.  Not worth it!

i agree...the game is good and not so easy

The mode was called Path of the Damned for a reason, there really is no harm in making it a challenge or to object to people wanting that, in it's current form it really isn't past the first few levels. As above, good AI has been done for this kind of game (see SCS for Baldur's Gate). Not even expecting that level, just hoping Obsidian and then eventually a modder will make it so there aren't <5 memorable fights in the game for people who like stuff really difficult.

The mode was called Path of the Damned for a reason, there really is no harm in making it a challenge or to object to people wanting that, in it's current form it really isn't past the first few levels. As above, good AI has been done for this kind of game (see SCS for Baldur's Gate). Not even expecting that level, just hoping Obsidian and then eventually a modder will make it so there aren't <5 memorable fights in the game for people who like stuff really difficult.

Even the first levels are not hard if you have a full party. Heck, if you have a solo monk the first levels are a breeze, too...