These spells are in dire need of some rebalancing I think. 

Charm, Dominate and Confusion are extraordinarily annoying: first, they can't really be defended against. They must completely miss to be resisted (no effect) which even on tanks happens rarely. It's especially annoying when enemies spam confuse, like the Spores. And the spores target Deflection from what I can understand, but even the tanks get affected most of the times... The second annoying part of these spells is the fact that as soon as their current target dies, party member AI decides that it's number one priority is to destroy the affected ones. On these spells, if nothing else gets changed, they should at least receive a hefty minus to Accuracy (at least 15). They are simply too reliable. Also, I would actually suggest that Confuse no longer make allies into enemies. They could still force attack an ally as part of the confusion effect.

Paralyze is a bit too strong I think, both from spells and traps. It is quite reliable and makes fights where it lands too easy. The duration is also too high on most Paralyze spells. I think that either the durations should be lowered, or Paralyze should come with a drawback (such as making the enemies invulnerable while it's in effect). It is also quite broken when the enemies land it, outright killing you if you play solo.

• Like 1

You need a priest. And I think the reason that the developers made it this way is because of the way such spells worked back in the IE games. If you made a saving roll against these spells, the effect will be completely negated, making it a waste of a precious spell slot.

Edited by Evange

Charm, Dominate and Confusion are extraordinarily annoying [..]

It is also quite broken when the enemies land it, outright killing you if you play solo.

good thing this game is not balanced for soloing purpose

there is a achievement yes, but the game is meant to be played with a team.

i hope they remove this solo crap from the game in the expansion or atleast make it impossible to solo.

in recent times there is to many cries for nurfs from solo players while in a properly build team everything is alright even on PoTD.

Edited by Bugged Wolf Companion
  • Like 3

Are there any spells further up in levels that can protect against confusion and charm? It sure would be really useful in spesific fights since nothing has the potential of messing you up quite as bad as you tank getting confused and then letting every enemy in the encounter rush past him into your helpless line of squishies.

There was this level2 preist spell that I thought might help called "supress affliction". I mean, confuse is an affliction right? It didn't seem to help against spores confuse though. If casted after the fact it doesn't affect the character because he is deemed hostile - and if cast before I'm pretty sure the confuse just went through it anyway.

-Stigma

These spells are in dire need of some rebalancing I think. 

Charm, Dominate and Confusion are extraordinarily annoying: first, they can't really be defended against. They must completely miss to be resisted (no effect) which even on tanks happens rarely. It's especially annoying when enemies spam confuse, like the Spores. And the spores target Deflection from what I can understand, but even the tanks get affected most of the times... The second annoying part of these spells is the fact that as soon as their current target dies, party member AI decides that it's number one priority is to destroy the affected ones. On these spells, if nothing else gets changed, they should at least receive a hefty minus to Accuracy (at least 15). They are simply too reliable. Also, I would actually suggest that Confuse no longer make allies into enemies. They could still force attack an ally as part of the confusion effect.

Paralyze is a bit too strong I think, both from spells and traps. It is quite reliable and makes fights where it lands too easy. The duration is also too high on most Paralyze spells. I think that either the durations should be lowered, or Paralyze should come with a drawback (such as making the enemies invulnerable while it's in effect). It is also quite broken when the enemies land it, outright killing you if you play solo.

I have to agree with Bugged Wolf.  The game is truly meant to be played by teams, not solo, and should be balanced thusly.

I will say that I find it annoying that the game's party AI isn't smart enough to know not to target charmed teammates.  I find that the moment I have a charmed teammate, I have to go into total micromanaging mode to keep my team from attacking a charmed team mate.

A different gripe that I have is that in the IE games, I'd just cast a Dispel Magic spell on a charmed team mate.  But in PoE, I don't know if there's a Dispel Magic spell because far too many of the darned spells have these ridiculous names that make them hard to know what they really do.  I personally like nice, SIMPLE, descriptive names, not spell names that hide the spell's actual purpose behind a bunch of ridiculously flowery language.

Edited by Crucis

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't find Priests helpful. I have actually mostly play with a team, but what can really affect these spells? AFAIK it's just a Will check for Charm or Dominate which means Holy Meditation would be nice, but practically the enemies usually get the first cast before Holy Mediation is up and even if it is, I haven't had much luck in the spells being resisted anyway. My tanks also have 17 plus Resolve, which would be very helpful you'd assume, but even Grazes can destroy your frontline. Supress Affliction unfortunately affects only allies, so it doesn't supress Charm or Dominate (I will test against Confusion again, but IIRC it didn't work either).

Generally I'm not against the spells, I think that they are quite fun and need handling (such as when one of the backline gets charmed), but when it's almost 100% reliable on the frontline, the people who are built to withstand such attacks, it gets a bit annoying. I took a trait just to try to counter these, but it didn't help at all.

@Bugged Wolf: Yeah, it is alright. The game can be finished despite these things, but that doesn't mean things can't be improved. Especially for people trying the achievements. I am going for Triple Crown now, which I don't think is so niche. I expected this game mode to be balanced as well, and I think that these skills need some tuning.

Edited by Raz415

i hope they remove this solo crap from the game in the expansion or atleast make it impossible to solo.

in recent times there is to many cries for nurfs from solo players while in a properly build team everything is alright even on PoTD.

Please don't hate. Everyone has the right to play the game it's own way.

I understand that you want a balanced game for a team, and I partially disagree with OP because imo those spells are not what makes the game "imbalanced". Still, it's right to admit that some mechanics of this game are kind of wierd, solo or not.

The fact that the phantoms can perma stun characters due to their high attack speed and "stun on every hit" passive is not really fun, solo or not solo, and it doesn't make the game deeper in terms of gameplay or strategy (except if you consider "bursting everything with aoe spells and one shot the packs, then travel back to the inn to rest and do it again" as a strategy).

The famous adragan graze isn't much more balanced either (on both sides, monsters or players).

So please, don't be that agressive towards players who play solo, and try to be a bit more objective.

The game as it is right now is quite unbalanced regarding some mechanics and I think it would be a lie not to admit it.

And it's not about playing solo or not.

• Like 1

Priest has +50 defence vs specific affliction prayers. Don't see the problem.

Game is already easy enough, please don't ask to make it even easier with these requests.

Oh really, Which one? Lvl 9 but still don't have that spell.

Game is already easy enough? I bet you playing powerteam, well optimized and such, but when you going through dungeon first time its:

a) Oh, tough fights, my team hardly manage, but it is interesting...  [meet spam charm] WTF???!!! how am I supposed to deal with this???

b) Ha ha, easy peasy, good thing that I build my team right, kinda boring though... [meet spam charm] pfff, thats annoying, enemies cant do a thing, but if I dont pause every second autoretarget kill charmed ones because of retard AI.

In my book its poor design.

Edited by ErlKing

Charm, Dominate and Confusion are extraordinarily annoying [..]

It is also quite broken when the enemies land it, outright killing you if you play solo.

So because there, allegedly, are cries the developers should invest time and energy to make optional play style - soloing - impossible, do I understand it correctly?

I hope they do not listen to your cries then.