Resolve checks are all "hey you scum i'm better than you"?

I'm at the begin of the game, but the first couple of resolve check i found was all like "i break your leg if you don't do this", i taked resolve to be a charismatic character, not a rude like all the situation i ecountered so far.

So is the resolve check change a bit while dojng the story or they remain the same? thank you all in advance

Resolve helps a lot when you need to lie to someone. Intimidation is more Might's territory.

As for pure charisma... Resolve fits the most, but it's not perfect, yeah. You may want to build your disposition to be Honest, that can be more "charismatic" and persuade people rather well.

Resolve helps a lot when you need to lie to someone. Intimidation is more Might's territory.

As for pure charisma... Resolve fits the most, but it's not perfect, yeah. You may want to build your disposition to be Honest, that can be more "charismatic" and persuade people rather well.

I mean the resolve checks, in the first part of the game up to the first village i only found threatening resolve check, i break your leg was actually a resolve one...i mean the situation improve? there are some charismatic quote from resolve in the game  that involve brain and not menacing everyone?

I mean the resolve checks, in the first part of the game up to the first village i only found threatening resolve check, i break your leg was actually a resolve one...i mean the situation improve? there are some charismatic quote from resolve in the game  that involve brain and not menacing everyone?

For involving your brain one would use Intellect. Resolve is really a lot about deception and convincingly lying to people. I haven't threatened many people with Resolve... I think that one in village may be one of the few that do that.

For involving your brain one would use Intellect. Resolve is really a lot about deception and convincingly lying to people. I haven't threatened many people with Resolve... I think that one in village may be one of the few that do that.

Ok thanks, with brain i was meaning avoid any menacing hehe...i was hoping for the charismatic type of guy with resolve, seems like i was wrong so...

If not menacing, at least rude. I'm not a fan of it either. The theme is "stand your ground". Even if you get caught in a lie, your character is firm. It doesn't sound very nice in many cases though.

Ok ty, using chat command to switch to int or perc :p

I noticed this as well... I would have expected resolve to be a "great inner strength and convictions" so that you might rouse someone by your confidence, charisma and sheer force of will.

Instead it seems like resolve checks are mostly about downright threatening people - usually in a very brutish and unrefined way.

There is till lots of the game I haven't played but it seems resolve isn't really all that compatible roleplay-wise with a overall good character.

It almost seems like the name is just ... wrong. It is fairly consistent with itself between dialogues, but the options just don't seem to fit the idea of "resolve" - at least to me.

It seems like it almost overlaps somewhat with aggressive.

If resolve is consistent with something I guess it is that it usually related to calling bluffs (or making ones), which I guess makes sense. You just often do so in a very rude and forceful manner rather than a persuasive one.

Passionate to  lesser degree is a bit of a weird one too (though not so far off the mark I guess). It just seems that passionate (so far at least) tends to lead mostly to negatively-slanted responses. It makes sense that you have a few emotional overreactions in there, but I don't see a lot of positive ones.

My favorites so far that tend to resonate most with me are:

- Intellect (although sometimes these seem a liiittle bit forced in the writing)

- Diplomatic (usually very reasonable aproaches)

- Honest (as long as it's not honesty to a fault)

- Rational (very detached matter-of-fact and neutral)

Of course that's just me, as I prefer to play a chaotic/neutral good type of character.

Kinda miss a "persuasion" skill ... it was always one of my favorites in IE engine games.

-Stigma

Edited by thestigma
  • Like 1

Hmm, that's a bit unfortunate, I maxed resolve and was expecting more of a classic charisma type trait. I'm on expert mode so I guess I'm probably never selecting the dialogue checks that I'm best at because threatening to break someone's leg if they don't give you what you want is the farthest thing in my mind from what I thought the attribute represented, and as such doesn't fit my idea of my character at all.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

I noticed this as well... I would have expected resolve to be a "great inner strength and convictions" so that you might rouse someone by your confidence, charisma and sheer force of will.

Instead it seems like resolve checks are mostly about downright threatening people - usually in a very brutish and unrefined way.

There is till lots of the game I haven't played but it seems resolve isn't really all that compatible roleplay-wise with a overall good character.

It almost seems like the name is just ... wrong. It is fairly consistent with itself between dialogues, but the options just don't seem to fit the idea of "resolve" - at least to me.

It seems like it almost overlaps somewhat with aggressive.

If resolve is consistent with something I guess it is that it usually related to calling bluffs (or making ones), which I guess makes sense. You just often do so in a very rude and forceful manner rather than a persuasive one.

Passionate to  lesser degree is a bit of a weird one too (though not so far off the mark I guess). It just seems that passionate (so far at least) tends to lead mostly to negatively-slanted responses. It makes sense that you have a few emotional overreactions in there, but I don't see a lot of positive ones.

My favorites so far that tend to resonate most with me are:

- Intellect (although sometimes these seem a liiittle bit forced in the writing)

- Diplomatic (usually very reasonable aproaches)

- Honest (as long as it's not honesty to a fault)

- Rational (very detached matter-of-fact and neutral)

Of course that's just me, as I prefer to play a chaotic/neutral good type of character.

Kinda miss a "persuasion" skill ... it was always one of my favorites in IE engine games.

-Stigma

Can you do some example between perception and intellect checks in game instead?

Well crap. I should have taken Perception then.

I took Perception and Resolve for dialogues. I took more Perception... and I regret it! Resolve seems to be the best.

If I had to start again, for dialogues, I would make something like this (for a ranged character):

* MIG 16

* CON 3

* DEX 13

* PER 15

* INT 16

* RES 15

So:

* You can quickly get 16 in PER and RES (with helmet you find early)

* Then you can get 18 PER and RES just with equipment. When you need more, you can use food, inn or brothel (never tried).

* You can easily have good Might for checks. But I never used it. I think there is always other alternatives if you get PER, INT and RES. Furthermore, you can use companions for some Might checks (like Eder). Might is still good to make damage...

* You can easily get 18 for some INT check. (There is an early robe INT+2). Sometimes you could need more, but it's really not frequent.

* There was few DEX checks I think (especially at the beginning?), and I remember it was always possible to use other attributes or other solutions. But still, you can have 16 just with equipment, when you find it...

* Constitution was not really useful for dialogues' checks. And sometimes, you can use companions to do constitution other checks. I played in Hard, and it was ok. 20% less resistance is not so much, especially if you have a class with few base resistance.

My character was Mage with

MIG 18, CONS 3, DEX 11, PER 17, INT 18, RES 13

And I never got problem to try dialogues... except my mistake with low Resolution. (But it was OK next with +3 Res equipment, expensive +3 RES dragon meat, or inn boost.)

Skills are used too for dialogue and checks too. My humble advice id that Lore is the best, even if not mandatory.

* Stealth: never used for checks. You need only one character with high stealthif you like to steal. Tank/bandit/close characters can use it to hit quickly at the beginning of fights, but it's not mandatory. A full party with stealth could be fun, but it's complicated...

* Athletics: There is some interesting checks (not in dialogues)... but all party members need it. Not too much... I don't know... maybe 4... or 5.. or 6 at the end?

* Lore: it opens new dialogues, so it's a good skill for the main character. Some dialogues require high Lore, like 10. You can get bonus with equipment and inn.

* Mechanics : I don't remember dialogues with "mechanics"? Did I missed it? So I think it's not mandatory for the main character. However, it's really useful to have a character with high mechanics to unlock doors and disarm traps! I think Durance starts with high mechanics... The best would be a tank/melee character, so he is always in front to discover everything. Notice that speed boost are working during fights, and even outside fights when you are in stealth/detect mode. (bug?) So it's interesting to put speed boost on your "mechanics" companion. Tip: You get experience when you open with mechanics, but nothing with keys. And you cannot drop keys. so, if you have a companion with high mechanics, it's better never take any keys! Except when you have too...

* Survival: For dialogues, it's sometimes useful. But not a lot. I remember I could use it for some dialogues with low survive, like 2 or 3. And at the end, crazy survive were asked, like 9 or 12. My humble feeling is that you can forget this skill with no regret.

Anyway, if you want to have high "disposition" in the reputation system, sometimes it seems to be better to use "disposition" response, rather than "check" response.

Edited by chouia

Perception seems to be fairly strictly tied to "noticing stuff" that you can then use in the dialogue. Intellect seems to be more general "being smart" and is used in differing aproaches.

The into-areas first introduction of perception and intellect options seems to be fairly representative of how they are used - but to be honest I haven't played through enough of the game to have enough examples for you to give a strong opinion. (I've mostly played the first few areas a couple of times while deciding my final build and difficulty level - and I've just recently started what I think are my "final" settings for the campaign). Neither intellect or perception have been very heavily used in dialogue so far, but I expect that may very well change.

-Stigma

It almost seems like the name is just ... wrong.

"Resolve" can lead to be firm in your resolution, more than finding solutions, or being charismatic.

In my language, they use directly "determination". So, it shows your will... rather than your influence.

Anyway, it's not charisma, for sure. But it's not always rude. For me, it was usually somethnig like "Do what I say".

Neither intellect or perception have been very heavily used in dialogue so far, but I expect that may very well change.

It's not used a lot, but it's used.

If you have a bad "build" for fight, it's never a problem: you can manage.  You can use companions to help you (even if they have bad builds too...) And there is no "real" bad build with the game system.

But If you don't have the mandatory attributes for dialogues, you can totally miss some opportunities! Even if it's only two or three times in the game. Ok, it's RPG... but it's a game, and I like to be able to chose the way I prefer. ;) So, I would totally create a main character dialogue-oriented, even if it's not really useful. (If I would like perfect fighters, I would create companions at inn... but still, companions you meet in game are more fun...)

Edited by chouia