Hi.

Aside for tanks, I have my main rogue, Kana and Sagani as support snipers. Blunderbluss damage output is ok but its range leaves a lot to be desired. And now arbalests are nerfed.

Sagani has got an ability to use Hunting bows, so I gave her that type of weapon.

What do you suggest for a sniping rogue/Kana. Should I keep the blunderbuss? I have swapped Kana's arquebus for a powerful arbalest. Is it ok?

Edited by eLPuSHeR

Sagani is surprisingly deadly with a hunting bow. You definitely need Penetrating Shot for her, but once you got that and some of the ranger talents like Driving Flight (splash damage) and Stunning Shots (stunlock), she becomes a real killing machine that scores crits with almost every arrow. The best hunting bow in the game is probably Persistence, which you can get relatively early. There's also Prey Maker much later and perhaps easy to miss but I wasn't wowed by it.

This is a little off topic, but I've found Kana makes a better offtank than sniper. He can only get spells off in the biggest fights, and I find his chant debuffs more compelling than his buffs, so I handed him Justice and slapped a suit of plate on him and sent him to the front lines. He does about as much damage, holds up well under the pressure so far, reduces damage to the rest of the front row, and is better positioned to cast spells once he finally charges up.

Sagani is surprisingly deadly with a hunting bow. You definitely need Penetrating Shot for her, but once you got that and some of the ranger talents like Driving Flight (splash damage) and Stunning Shots (stunlock), she becomes a real killing machine that scores crits with almost every arrow. The best hunting bow in the game is probably Persistence, which you can get relatively early. There's also Prey Maker much later and perhaps easy to miss but I wasn't wowed by it.

I disagree, the best hunting bow by far is Lenas Êr - Rending and Disorienting means it hits harder and is the most accurate ranged weapon you can get (helps also your stunning shots). 

Thanks for the suggestions/replies. I think I have Sagani armed with Persistence and I already have the penetrating shoots trait. He is doing well so far. I have equipped Kana with a nice wand/scepter I found but its damage output is a lot lower than before. It's fast though.

As for pistols, who wants to use a pistol where there are blunderbusses?

@MadDemiurg

Sniping = Taking enemies down from the back lines?

Edited by eLPuSHeR

I disagree, the best hunting bow by far is Lenas Êr - Rending and Disorienting means it hits harder and is the most accurate ranged weapon you can get (helps also your stunning shots). 

Interesting. I never found that one but it certainly sounds better than Persistence.

Well then, it is still blunderbus vs low DT, or arbalest/arquebus/pistol for high DT, depending on your weapon focus. Ruffian gets blunderbus & pistol.

For high accuracy crit builds arbalest & firearms are bad because of -0.3 crit multiplier, so crossbow.

• Like 1

Well then, it is still blunderbus vs low DT, or arbalest/arquebus/pistol for high DT, depending on your weapon focus. Ruffian gets blunderbus & pistol.

For high accuracy crit builds arbalest & firearms are bad because of -0.3 crit multiplier, so crossbow.

Uhm, for crit builds Arbalest are the best, as they have a passive chance to knockdown on crits. In fact, outside of niche conditions, Arbalest are still the best ranged weapon hands down.

What can you recommend my wood elf bow wizard? I have 20dex and running around naked for no recovery penalty x) I'm unable to commit to a weapon talent because I can't decide. Will probably be running alacrity, so thats 1.5x speed on top of 30% action speed. I wanted to use pistols myself but I'm not 100% sure on the ranged weapon mechanics yet.

Uhm, for crit builds Arbalest are the best, as they have a passive chance to knockdown on crits. In fact, outside of niche conditions, Arbalest are still the best ranged weapon hands down.

Depends on whether you want CC or damage. Plus there are stun on crit unique bows and ranger has stunning shots.

This. Either go Arbaleste, Arquebus or Pistol for raw damage.

• Like 1

If you use pistol will you benefit from the one weapon talent (graze to hit) or do pistols count as 2 handed for this talent?

If two handed, will all firearms and ranged weapons then benefit from the 1.15 damage from two hand style? And do you guys consider this a worthwhile talent?

Sorry for a bit of hijack OP, I thought better to ask here than make a new thread since we are discussing ranged weapons anyhow :)

If you want to use the ranged weapon for an alpha strike then go for the highest damage possible on hit. If you're not a ranger or don't have always a chanter next to you and you care about dps then go for hunting bows with penetrating shots. After the last patch the only way a slow weapon can outdamage the best bow is if you have swift aim or a chanter and can greatly reduce the reload times.

If you use pistol will you benefit from the one weapon talent (graze to hit) or do pistols count as 2 handed for this talent?

If two handed, will all firearms and ranged weapons then benefit from the 1.15 damage from two hand style? And do you guys consider this a worthwhile talent?

Sorry for a bit of hijack OP, I thought better to ask here than make a new thread since we are discussing ranged weapons anyhow :)

The One-Handed, Two-Handed and Dual Wield talents only work for melee weapons. The equivalent weapon talent for ranged weapons is Marksman

• Like 1

What can you recommend my wood elf bow wizard? I have 20dex and running around naked for no recovery penalty x) I'm unable to commit to a weapon talent because I can't decide. Will probably be running alacrity, so thats 1.5x speed on top of 30% action speed. I wanted to use pistols myself but I'm not 100% sure on the ranged weapon mechanics yet.

Wizards already have strong conjurable ranged weapon, but rarely find a time to use it, unless there is multiple wizards in party.

Wizards already have strong conjurable ranged weapon, but rarely find a time to use it, unless there is multiple wizards in party.

Huh? I just double checked the Wizard spells. Only conjurable weapon I see is parasitic staff :|

Huh? I just double checked the Wizard spells. Only conjurable weapon I see is parasitic staff :|

3rd level spell someone's minor blights. It conjures wand for you for 60+ seconds, it deals good damage and is affected by wand talents like blast, penetrating blast and dang. implements. Also it deals aoe damage, so blast talent triggers for each enemy hit by it and main target can be hit by initial shot + blasts from adjascent enemies.

• Like 1

I have already got the "marksman" talent. And there is another related talent "gunner".

Generally speaking you want Marksman, the appropriate Weapon Focus and Gunner/Penetrating Shot for your ranged DPS. Gunner for slow firing weapons, Penetrating Shot for fast firing weapons (and kinda the blunderbuss, though one might argue that the blunderbuss isn't exactly a DPS weapon but rather something for cyphers - but opinions on this are divided and I haven't seen anyone doing a proper testing on PotD against different types of DR enemies)

Depends on whether you want CC or damage. Plus there are stun on crit unique bows and ranger has stunning shots.

Still never found a use for bows, I am however running a chanter for the reload phrase. Probably explains why :) Those 70+ damage initial hits instantly chunkify a lot of enemies.

Edited by Akimbo