too much random junk

I love the "everything is dropped" design. Always have.

It's arguable flaws are usually limited by the fact that you can't carry an infinite amount of loot and just scrape the entire bottom of the barrel clean.

But.. yeah.. not in PoE.

This, thanks to the stash you shouldn´t worry, and it´s a big income...maybe even too much considering you will swim in gold by the end of the game. Also no one is forcing you to pick up the stuff. If i would criticise anything about the items, than it would be the lack of at last a few "epic/memorable" weapons, which the game seems to lack.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

one of the things i love about Titan Quest. every one drops the weapon they used against you and most drop the armor they were wearing at the time.

is definitely more realistic than an enemy having a big sword to fight you with and then dropping some random item.

Why is there a pistol in lvl 12 of Od Nua? THIS IS RIDICULOUS! What is this, some sort of ancient adra pistol? No, it's a FINE PISTOL, transported to the long time sealed, eldritch vaults of Od Nua via the magic of illogical loot placement!

pretty sure i remember there being a couple conversations stating that the vaults were being entered by looters or others over the years. why couldn't one of them have dropped the pistol?

The fact that enemies drop everything they carry is fine. That's the way it worked in the IE games and it's much better than the random loot system where an enemy with a short sword (or better yet, an animal) drops a halberd or whatever. It doesn't actually have that much impact on the economy. Do the math: except for the armors (which are worth 40), most of those items are worth either 5 or 10 whereas enchanted items are worth hundreds. Yes, you get a bit extra if you loot absolutely everything, but it's not that much. You may be able to buy one or two extra expensive items from stores, but you can't buy everything.

The stash is also fine except for two things: first, there should be a "Junk" section and second, identical items should stack.

I like it. It's reminiscent of Fallout 1/2 and Baldur's Gate 1, iirc. That said, in the case of the latter, I don't recall any numerous enemies which carried magic (even basic) gear. So finding fine items on everything, past a certain point, feels imbalanced in terms of money.

It's not like I'd ever loot and sell all of the generic equipment on every bandit I killed in Baldur's Gate, but I do like seeing that generic equipment drop. As I recall, this was toned down immensely in Baldur's Gate 2, though I do remember a series of generic enemies in Throne of Bhaal who did drop everything, and every one of them was decked out in +3 armour and weapons, which completely broke the economy of Faerun.

• Like 1

A hero shouldnt be filling his/hers backback with lots of swords and armors; Its imersion breaking. Usually you dont undress every man, woman or things you killed. Its a maniac level on different level but In most games the income is a problem so therefor the best idea to prevent making player to feel like he/she's playing diablo: some enemies drop gold. You are going to sell the "common" items anyway so why do all this work Its like we are in need of gold and selling scraps to live.

I belive the best way is the loot should be somewhere in the dungeons: treasure chest or some npc's possession.

...but again this unlimited inventory thinge' limits everything.

As I mentions most games are kinda forse to make a income in game so selling "loot" is a feature most rpg has but the sad thing is the loot is generally turned into weapons & armor where It should have been an artifact, old scrools, etc...Also there is another wasted opportunity rises: The stronghold. You could have make the players rely on stronghold income so we wouldnt strating to grab everything undrees every oponent like a deranged "hero/adventurer"

The wasted potential of this game is more than Troika games but with less fun.

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

I don't leave stuff in BG.  I find the nearest container and drop excess items in there, go to the nearest store with my current loot, then loop back to my starting point to continue the process.  The stash is one of the better features of Eternity for me, because it reduces the tedium.

24320-baldur-s-gate-ii-throne-of-bhaal-w

I-dont-believe-you.gif

one of the things i love about Titan Quest. every one drops the weapon they used against you and most drop the armor they were wearing at the time.

is definitely more realistic than an enemy having a big sword to fight you with and then dropping some random item.

I loved that aspect of the Titan Quest games. They dropped everything, but you pretty quickly learned that it wasn't all meant to be picked up. But you could, if you wanted to, and you never felt it was odd or out of place that X didn't drop Y and so on.

Now, for whatever reason, I think animals still dropped gold and potions and such, which was.. odd. Of course, in Titan Quest, you could just sort all the grey/white loot away and ignore it, and prioritizing what to take and what not to take has always been a part of limited-space inventory systems.

I like it. It's reminiscent of Fallout 1/2 and Baldur's Gate 1, iirc. That said, in the case of the latter, I don't recall any numerous enemies which carried magic (even basic) gear. So finding fine items on everything, past a certain point, feels imbalanced in terms of money.

It's not like I'd ever loot and sell all of the generic equipment on every bandit I killed in Baldur's Gate, but I do like seeing that generic equipment drop. As I recall, this was toned down immensely in Baldur's Gate 2, though I do remember a series of generic enemies in Throne of Bhaal who did drop everything, and every one of them was decked out in +3 armour and weapons, which completely broke the economy of Faerun.

Which is of course ridiculous. It's an inherent balance problem of many of these types of games in that they scale upwards way too quickly. It happens in PoE, too, and in an expansion, I can't see how someone human is going to challenge you unless they're just "human plus" with inflated numbers, or decked out in just as epic gear, which makes all this "epic" stuff decidingly less epic.

I love the "everything is dropped" design. Always have.

It's arguable flaws are usually limited by the fact that you can't carry an infinite amount of loot and just scrape the entire bottom of the barrel clean.

But.. yeah.. not in PoE.

This, thanks to the stash you shouldn´t worry, and it´s a big income...maybe even too much considering you will swim in gold by the end of the game. Also no one is forcing you to pick up the stuff. If i would criticise anything about the items, than it would be the lack of at last a few "epic/memorable" weapons, which the game seems to lack.

The "you don't need to"-argument holds no water. It's about forcing choice on the player. It would be utterly nonsensical for someone to choose to cripple themselves for no reason, when the game is made with the assumption that you'd not going to be.

As an extreme example, it's like having a game in which you can't die. You say, hey, this is pretty damn boring, and a pretty poor design decision. And then it gets defended with "Well you can choose to die". Like what. Restrictions and hassle are as much part of gameplay as anything else, and it's there to make your choices meaningful, no matter how small.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

quote, Arch-Mage: "Now, for whatever reason, I think animals still dropped gold and potions and such, which was.. odd"

when animals or non-human enemies drop things meant for human use I always had it in mind that they had killed or eaten another adventurer and these items were in their stomach or stored on them as a type of "trophy". not like a wolf was carrying around potions and coin for it's own use.

Edited by RolandOfGilead