too much random junk

I'm getting the serious impression that a lot of people during beta felt that everything you kill should drop whatever it was carrying, period.

but... even at very low prices for all that gear, places like the skaen temple under dyrwood village will net you well over 20k in just crap to sell!

I have no idea if all that stuff has any other negative impacts, like on savegame size (it really shouldn't, but it's possible).

point being... does EVERY enemy have to drop a complete set of everything??  why not have it be random?  some enemies only drop a weapon, some armor, some nothing.

there's just way more junk than I think I have ever seen before....

• Like 3

I think it's realistic.

I mean, if you killed a sword-wielding knight wearing full plate mail and he dropped absolutely nothing (or something random), wouldn't you be annoyed at that?

I don't think the animals need to drop things, but humans should.

I'm selling these fine xaurip leather shields...

The loot distribution seems to be incredibly strange. There is no point in xaurips dropping their gear. Nobody is ever going to use that stuff. So much unenchanted and Fine gear in the lower reaches of the Endless Paths, too. I'm not sure what the devs were thinking there, did they believe I made it to level 11 strangling everyone in my path with my bare hands, Shadows In Zamboula-style?

I just don't understand it.

• Like 2

Yes,it's realistic.

I like this design.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I didn't find any negative aspect to selling 200 Xaurip spears.

Except destroying the economy by making you richer than all the kings in the world?   Looks like the game is trying to beat Skyrim's record of "Get mega rich by doing nothing and have no challenge at saving money."

Except destroying the economy by making you richer than all the kings in the world?   Looks like the game is trying to beat Skyrim's record of "Get mega rich by doing nothing and have no challenge at saving money."

It's a single player game, there's no such thing as an economy. There's no AH or trading among players.

Also PoE is not a game about economy ala Eve.

There's a lot of things that can be improved in PoE, trash drops being the least important...

Edited by brionkj
  • Like 2

it's also a fantasy game, one where the words "realistic" are laughably meaningless.

frankly, it's actually NOT realistic you would recover a perfect set of the exact same items from every enemy of the same type you defeat in combat. 

what world do you live in where it is so?

what games have you played before where it was common to have this much junk to process?

plus, the way inventory management works, if you sell all that crap to a store, you better buy everying else you want first, because likely your're then gonna have to scroll through pages of inventory to find what you're looking for.

this game has VERY little challenge to it as it is, and with unlimted storage space available anywhere, at any time, and unlimted junk to cram into said unlimited magic storage space, it removes that much more challenge.

you might then reply..."then just don't pick up the junk", but that would be a stupid answer, because self-gimping is kludgy, and you know it.  I could literally apply that same argument to ANYTHING in the game.

Edited by Ichthyic

It's a single player game, there's no such thing as an economy. There's no AH or trading among players.

There's a lot of things that can be improved in PoE, trash drops being the least important...

ridiculous.  if stores simply gave you items for free, then there indeed would be no economy, but you KNOW what the person you are responding to was talking about.

stuff costs money in this game, but, with unlimted junk to sell, that makes it meaningless in all but name.

ridiculous.  if stores simply gave you items for free, then there indeed would be no economy, but you KNOW what the person you are responding to was talking about.

stuff costs money in this game, but, with unlimted junk to sell, that makes it meaningless in all but name.

The thing is you are focusing on the symptom instead of the addressing the actual problem - which is the Stash. Remove the ability to add stuff into the Stash at any time, then you'd have less issue of this so called 'game economy'. 

• Like 1

I love the "everything is dropped" design. Always have.

It's arguable flaws are usually limited by the fact that you can't carry an infinite amount of loot and just scrape the entire bottom of the barrel clean.

But.. yeah.. not in PoE.

• Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

it's also a fantasy game, one where the words "realistic" are laughably meaningless.

Not at all. The fact that it's a fantasy setting just means that we make certain assumptions going in about the state of the world. E.g. it's like earth, but in the late middle ages, with magic, and dragons etc. But that doesn't mean that everything goes, or that everything fits the setting. E.g. if one of the NPC's were a mid 1990's gangster rapper, in a lowrider, wielding an UZI, you'd hope to christ that there was some really really good explanation as to how the heck he'd fit into this setting. 'Else it would just break the settin, and the immersion.

But of course, a lot of stuff is going to be a departure from realism in the persuit of fun, like the lack of weight encumbrance. But if it doesn't clash with the fun, and it's not difficult or impossible to implement, the devs should strive for realism (winthin the setting). And semi-realistic drops like this is a step in the right direction for some people, even if carrying all that stuff around isn't.

Further, whether they drop full equipment or not, doesn't have to have anything to do with the economy in principle. That's simply an issue with a lack of balancing the economy. If they lowered the prices somewhat, there wouldn't be an issue. I've just reached act 3, been fairly completionist, and I only have around 9K left. So so far it's not even an issue.

Edited by Prime-Mover
  • Like 4

It really breaks immersion in the roleplaying experience, if monsters drop random stuff. Economy isn't an issue. And if I have played a game before with this much junk? Have you played the IE games. The only difference is the stash. If you just play without it, and manage your inventory, this is like that. Or you could just not pick all the stuff up? I really fail to see any problem here, this is not a dungeon crawler like Diablo, it's a roleplaying game.

Edited by TheisEjsing

Not at all. The fact that it's a fantasy setting just means that we make certain assumptions going in about the state of the world. E.g. it's like earth, but in the late middle ages, with magic, and dragons etc. But that doesn't mean that everything goes, or that everything fits the setting. E.g. if one of the NPC's were a mid 1990's gangster rapper, in a lowrider, wielding an UZI, you'd hope to christ that there was some really really good explanation as to how the heck he'd fit into this setting. 'Else it would just break the settin, and the immersion.

But of course, a lot of stuff is going to be a departure from realism in the persuit of fun, like the lack of weight encumbrance. But if it doesn't clash with the fun, and it's not difficult or impossible to implement, the devs should strive for realism (winthin the setting). And semi-realistic drops like this is a step in the right direction for some people, even if carrying all that stuff around isn't.

Further, whether they drop full equipment or not, doesn't have to have anything to do with the economy in principle. That's simply an issue with a lack of balancing the economy. If they lowered the prices somewhat, there wouldn't be an issue. I've just reached act 3, been fairly completionist, and I only have around 9K left. So so far it's not even an issue.

Well I agree completely with the post... except for one very small nit-pick at the end. At a certain point, it doesn't make sense to adjust the prices, because in my mind, there needs to be at least a semblance of relative worth. I realize the vast majority of games gets this wrong, including PoE to a degree, but daggers shouldn't have a value of 50c and full plates a value of 30c, just because the enemy tend to drop more of the latter, and then a room at the inn costs 150c.

That being said, PoE does make a fairly good job of making you feel poor. Stuff is costly. Sometimes nonsensically costly (...1500 to make a scroll? And the merchant wants HOW MUCH for a Trap? But I just sold him the same damn trap at less than 10% of that price!).

I think the biggest issue really is the automagical access-everywhere unlimited stash, coupled with no weight limits and infinigold merchants. It lets you haul absolutely everything out of everywhere, that you'd probably pass on in most games for not being worth your time, effort and space - and then mulch it into gold at the nearest two-legged vending machine. And an enchanting system that incentivizes you to stick your hand into unsuspecting animals and monsters and take their internal organs with you, too.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Considering a lot of the "better" items worth buying in the stores (imo) cost 5000-10000 apiece, I don't mind at all. If you don't buy from stores much, the cash you end up with may feel excessive, but some might like to buy lots of stuff, if only to just check it out. And even then I'd find it doubtful you could buy "everything" from every single store, so...

...if you don't like it, don't pick it up.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Why is there a pistol in lvl 12 of Od Nua? THIS IS RIDICULOUS! What is this, some sort of ancient adra pistol? No, it's a FINE PISTOL, transported to the long time sealed, eldritch vaults of Od Nua via the magic of illogical loot placement!

Edited by Eisenheinrich
  • Like 2

I would like there to be a junk section added to the stash, with the ability to designate items as junk.  So all Xaurip spears go into the junk stash once one is designated as junk.  (Excluding stuff the player enchants)  To reverse this, find the item in the junk section and designate it as wanted, making all items of that type go into the appropriate category.  Adding a "sell junk" option for shopkeepers would also be nice.

In every WRPG, I have a kleptomaniac mindset - all items must be picked up, with the non-craftable or non-unique items being sold off.  To say the least, I tend to amass a huge horde of items in New Vegas, Baldur's Gate, or Original Sin.  Having some quality of life features to speed things along would be awesome.

Edited by Sabin Stargem

This is why I didn't like them dropping the weight limit for loot. Its far too easy to game the system and end up with near infinite money.

Hell I only pick up fine or above equipment to sell and I currently have 16k. At level 5.

• Like 1

I strip mine every map which gets sucked into my stash. Just click on loot and take all. And then sell everything to a store. I prefer the IE games because I had to make a choice and leave stuff. eg. A spear worth 1gp, I'd leave. But if there was an invisible vacuum cleaner sucking everything up, I'd take it all. And while a worthless spear might not be worth anything, when you're sucking up every scrap of item, it all adds up. PoE just makes it easier to get rich.

• Like 1

I don't leave stuff in BG.  I find the nearest container and drop excess items in there, go to the nearest store with my current loot, then loop back to my starting point to continue the process.  The stash is one of the better features of Eternity for me, because it reduces the tedium.

• Like 1

...if you don't like it, don't pick it up.

If you don't like being overpowered, gimp your character.

as I said, and I predicted someone would say...

this is the singular dumbest advice you can possibly give for game design.

really.

Making players their main income is selling junkfull of items...

Some may call "reasiltic" but I say poor call on devs ( or who suggested the style) behalf. Generally you dont try to make them feel like scrap hunters (except in some cases) because Its not fun to loot 999 useless weapons and sell them 999 times. So thats why generally killing mobs gives you gold and sometimes drops regular items, which is same thing without clicking 999 times.  

Also you have to put real HARD efford to balance those prices but wtih just gold style you can do it easly and be smartly avoid useless borring clicking.

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."