About that expansion....

I'd rather they skip the expansion and move to a sequel.

I don't see the point of making an expansion that just adds more dungeons and items to the game without continueing the story. If the team has some great ideas for the expansion, they can just keep them and add them to the sequel.

We're losing time here!  Let's see Pillars 2 already! :p

In the long run we'll end up with more PoE content if we get expansions than if we skip them.

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Kanisatha,

you can also chain actions with uppercase

My thanks to everyone offering helpful comments. 'Tis much appreciated. So refreshing comapred with the crap that sometimes gets thrown at people on these forums. I have indeed tried the lowest difficulty setting and using pause a lot. I still end up with some of my companions dead.

I suppose one approach to take would be to simply accept that outcome as a part of how the game is supposed to play out. But since roleplaying is the most important and enjoyable thing for me in these games by far, and I roleplay my PC as though it's me in RL, I tend to get very attached to my companions. :)  And yes, even the annoying ones!

But ultimately I am a huge supporter of having as many people as possible being happy, so perhaps one could have a huge battle/siege outcome that results from one path of player choices, but also have a second possible path can be taken to avoid the siege? Actually thinking about it, a siege may not be so bad because a true siege unfolds somewhat slowly. What I really hate is that huge, massive assault simultaneously from everywhere.

I'd rather they skip the expansion and move to a sequel.

I don't see the point of making an expansion that just adds more dungeons and items to the game without continueing the story. If the team has some great ideas for the expansion, they can just keep them and add them to the sequel.

We're losing time here!  Let's see Pillars 2 already! :p

Whatever they do with the expansion, it will enrich the game. PoE deserve to have that opportunity. Plus, many of us have already backed an expansion through Kickstarter and would be more than a little miffed not to get it. Not to mention how bad this would look for Obsidian to shirk on a commitment.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Well then maybe they should only make expansions that stack up dungeons to the original game and never move to the sequel :p

For my sake, I would not mind a constant expansion and module system instead of hard sequels. In my mind, that would be perfect, because then they'd pretty much be forced to do the whole "backwards compatibility" thing I want. :lol:

t50aJUd.jpg

I suppose the loot is pretty powerful compared to BG1. So I guess the problem with loot being uninteresting probably has more to do with bonuses items can have becoming uninteresting because they're on so many items, and those items frequently just have a random smattering bonuses with no real theme to them. 

It could be. Spiderbane was interesting because it allowed one character to ignore spells like web. Your own party could cast web and then have Minsc stroll into it and go to town on enemies (useful in one of the cloakwood mines fights, in particular - also in the final fight if the web traps got triggered). That is, it was interesting because it opened up a new strategy and allowed new tactics.   

Then again, somebody posted a character build that used one of the 'Retaliation' items as a key component. There could be interesting things to do with some of the PoE items that people haven't figured out yet. 

I've also been bugged by how the effectiveness of some things like lashing damage not reflecting on the paper doll, which makes it hard to compare one item to another. 

That's a fair point. Part of the issue could be that it is difficult to see the effectiveness. If the fights seem randomly easier after applying enchantments/finding enchanted items, but it isn't obvious why they are easier without digging into the log, then it might make items seem less interesting. Maybe there's a good UI fix for this part of it.

• Like 1

To be frank, any new "major" area - Aedyr, Republican Vailia, Rauatai, even Readceras - is going to have to be a new game ala BG2. Due to the way they put their maps together, any new maps need to be rendered from scratch and will probably need to be concepted out regardless. If they want to do a whole new region, most of it's going to have to be scratch-built.

So even in a meaty expansion, I wouldn't expect to go any further than Eir Glanfath or maybe Readceras if they decide to recycle a lot of architectural design due to the shared cultural background of Dyrwood and Readceras. Going back across the ocean is going to require a new game.