About that expansion....

Obsidian should take his time and release nice fully featured expansion i would love to see more of the Obsidian made World... I am am also curious to see if there are more supernatural creature besides vampire like undead, godlike and stuff like that... Obsidian have crafted a nice world i want to see it expanded..

• Like 1

Excellent suggestions.

However i am hoping that we won't have to wait for an expansion in order to get much needed Stronghold improvements, they should dedicate one of the future patches (1.6 perhaps?) solely to making this feature better.

The stronghold needs to reach the level of NWN2 keep which was really, really good in my opinion.

I hope that it doesn't simply add new content, but also improves some of the existing content.

The stronghold could certainly use some love. I'd love to see a large scale, scripted siege against the stronghold occur, where all of your hirelings, party members (the six in your party and any additional in your barracks and house) all have a role to play. Maybe an upgrade to include some siege engines for improved defense. I'm talking an epic battle here, where an unproperly defended keep can have serious consequences. I'd also like to see more life in the Caed Nua. Folks coming to visit. That amphitheater having some periodic performances. Some additional generic guards in key locations. And I'm sure there's plenty more that could be done.

I'd also like to see some "epic weapons" added, that compare to the likes of Crom Faeyr, Carsomyr, etc. Weapons that are too powerful to be further enchanted, and that actually go beyond the standard limitations for enchantments... artifact level items.

100% agree with you on thoses parts.

the stronghold could be so mutch more !

i was really disapointed with loot in PoE. BG II is in my gaming experience the game that come the closest to perfection in loot reward. there was so mutch awsome equipments... as you said, carsomyr, celestial fury, crom fayer, vecna dress, silver sword, gaxx ring, scarlet ninja-to, dragons armor... icewind dale loot was far behind in epicness of loot (except that paladin standard looking sword, very nice and cleaver idea), and PoE is exactly like icewindale in term of loot and thats really sad. i don't really understand why they refuse to make some over the top equipment, there is not a single reason for it (please don't tell me about balance and stuff :getlost: )

Edited by Gilker

Remember, BG2 was a 'high-level' campaign, you started at medium level and could end just short of 20th level if you didn't have ToB installed due to the level cap, past level 20 if you did and did the sidequests, so of course the weapons would be more epic.  It would be fairer to compare the weapons in BG1 to Pillars since they more closely cover the same level and power ranges.

• Like 4

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Remember, BG2 was a 'high-level' campaign, you started at medium level and could end just short of 20th level if you didn't have ToB installed due to the level cap, past level 20 if you did and did the sidequests, so of course the weapons would be more epic.  It would be fairer to compare the weapons in BG1 to Pillars since they more closely cover the same level and power ranges.

Yes. The best weapon in BG1 was probably Spiderbane, a 2 handed sword +2 that granted free action. You didn't find it until Cloakwood. There was also a war hammer +2 that did electrical damage and a long sword +2 that did cold damage both of which were available as soon as you could take down the owners of these weapons (Bassilus and Greywolf).

If you had found Carsomyr in the spider cave or taken Celestial Fury from Greywolf (by using ranged weapons, presumably  :yes:) the game would have suddenly gotten really easy. If you had weapons like this in BG1 what would you have expected to see in BG2?

If anything, powerful items are too easy to find in PoE. None of them look great because there are so many of them. If you found Spiderbane in PoE it would be no big deal. In BG1, it was a very big deal if you had a PC who could use it (or had Minsc in your party).

Conversely, if you had found Hiro's Mantle in BG1 - that would have been a keeper. In BG1 you had the cloak of Balduran (+1 to armor class and saving throws and 25% (?) magic resistance, a unique item) and a Cloak of Protection +2  (+2 armor class +2 to saving throws - there was one of these in the game).

• Like 2

Yes. The best weapon in BG1 was probably Spiderbane, a 2 handed sword +2 that granted free action. You didn't find it until Cloakwood. There was also a war hammer +2 that did electrical damage and a long sword +2 that did cold damage both of which were available as soon as you could take down the owners of these weapons (Bassilus and Greywolf).

If you had found Carsomyr in the spider cave or taken Celestial Fury from Greywolf (by using ranged weapons, presumably  :yes:) the game would have suddenly gotten really easy. If you had weapons like this in BG1 what would you have expected to see in BG2?

If anything, powerful items are too easy to find in PoE. None of them look great because there are so many of them. If you found Spiderbane in PoE it would be no big deal. In BG1, it was a very big deal if you had a PC who could use it (or had Minsc in your party).

Conversely, if you had found Hiro's Mantle in BG1 - that would have been a keeper. In BG1 you had the cloak of Balduran (+1 to armor class and saving throws and 25% (?) magic resistance, a unique item) and a Cloak of Protection +2  (+2 armor class +2 to saving throws - there was one of these in the game).

I suppose the loot is pretty powerful compared to BG1. So I guess the problem with loot being uninteresting probably has more to do with bonuses items can have becoming uninteresting because they're on so many items, and those items frequently just have a random smattering bonuses with no real theme to them. I've also been bugged by how the effectiveness of some things like lashing damage not reflecting on the paper doll, which makes it hard to compare one item to another. 

• Like 1

I hope that it doesn't simply add new content, but also improves some of the existing content.

The stronghold could certainly use some love. I'd love to see a large scale, scripted siege against the stronghold occur, where all of your hirelings, party members (the six in your party and any additional in your barracks and house) all have a role to play. Maybe an upgrade to include some siege engines for improved defense. I'm talking an epic battle here, where an unproperly defended keep can have serious consequences. I'd also like to see more life in the Caed Nua. Folks coming to visit. That amphitheater having some periodic performances. Some additional generic guards in key locations. And I'm sure there's plenty more that could be done.

I'd also like to see some "epic weapons" added, that compare to the likes of Crom Faeyr, Carsomyr, etc. Weapons that are too powerful to be further enchanted, and that actually go beyond the standard limitations for enchantments... artifact level items.

Most important though is plenty of new content, high levels of experience that can be obtained, and a story that continues the exploits of the Watcher. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a new part of the world either. Aedyr, Readceras, the Vailian Republic... those would all be great. Though an expansion of the Dyrwood and/or Eir Glanfath would be great too. Maybe an expansion on the known areas and a bit of new as well would be doable.

A new companion or two would be nice, as would perhaps a new class, but these are extra credit in my opinion. Not requirements.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Obsidian has in store. What would you guys like to see?

I think there are enough classes now. I'd like to see that time and energy put towards other things. Other than that, I like the rest of your ideas a lot. I especially like your stronghold ideas.

I just want encounters that are more interesting. So far the only things that have given me much trouble are the mushroom things.

Yep, me too. Maybe massively improving the AI and add in hard counters may help but whatever the solution, the combat in PoE is no where near as interesting and challenging as BG2.

One of my favorite type of battles in BG2 was fighting enemy mages. Your whole party would be wiped out if you just tried to damage with melee and magic. You had to strip the mage of their multiple layers of defenses. Then at various stages in the battle, you would get surprised by something (maybe a contingency spell would be triggered or the mage would summon something right next to your casters), forcing to you to change tactics ASAP to win the battle.

I rather not have that kind of BS in PoE. 

Me too. That reminds me of some of the cheap combat Bioware used in Dragon Age 2. Anyone who played that I'm sure remembers the flak Bioware got for that one.

Most important though is plenty of new content, high levels of experience that can be obtained, and a story that continues the exploits of the Watcher. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a new part of the world either. Aedyr, Readceras, the Vailian Republic... those would all be great. Though an expansion of the Dyrwood and/or Eir Glanfath would be great too. Maybe an expansion on the known areas and a bit of new as well would be doable.

A new companion or two would be nice, as would perhaps a new class, but these are extra credit in my opinion. Not requirements.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Obsidian has in store. What would you guys like to see?

I think there are enough classes now. I'd like to see that time and energy put towards other things. Other than that, I like the rest of your ideas a lot. I especially like your stronghold ideas.

The new class idea was low priority, and the more I think about it the more I would advise against it. Let's get the existing classes fully fleshed out first, with their higher level abilities worked out. A later game can consider adding a new class or two and/or prestige classes/kits.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Would love to see this game use more of the NWN2 mechanic of rebuilding the Keep. I keep that game in my Library *just* because of that  feature - was awesome.

Someone said the Fort now feels too mobile app-like with the notifications/events...I have to agree.

I like the idea and I would like to see it improved upon, there's certainly a lot of room for it

I've never touched mobile apps but the stronghold system reminds me (somewhat negatively) of WoW's garrison system. It could definitely benefit from some on-location interactivity.

I remember in NWN2's castle how those dorky level 1 adventurers kept showing up to brag about their (seemingly mundane) quests...and if you egged them on and paid them long enough, they actually delivered something awesome (though I forget what now). I'd love to see that level of interactivity in the PoE stronghold.

• Like 3

I just want encounters that are more interesting. So far the only things that have given me much trouble are the mushroom things.

Yep, me too. Maybe massively improving the AI and add in hard counters may help but whatever the solution, the combat in PoE is no where near as interesting and challenging as BG2.

One of my favorite type of battles in BG2 was fighting enemy mages. Your whole party would be wiped out if you just tried to damage with melee and magic. You had to strip the mage of their multiple layers of defenses. Then at various stages in the battle, you would get surprised by something (maybe a contingency spell would be triggered or the mage would summon something right next to your casters), forcing to you to change tactics ASAP to win the battle.

I rather not have that kind of BS in PoE. 

You'd rather not have interesting battles which force you to change tactics often? Wow.

Uh, having to lead off EVERY SINGLE FIGHT with Breach is not "changing tactics often".  That crap bored me to tears in BG2.

It is actually not possible for the game to *force* you to play tactically AND have a wide variety of possible character builds.  There will always be possible builds that can brute force everything.

Edited by PsychoBlonde
  • Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

I agree the stronghold could be so much more, but I disagree with the OP about including a mega-battle. I hate mega-battles/sieges, and play fantasy RPGs precisely to avoid that kind of stuff. The stronghold in NwN2 was awesome ... right up until that huge enemy assault on it just before the end of the game. I have never been able to bring myself to play through that stupid battle, and thus never been able to finish that game. It still angers me that an alternative path to the end-game was not provided.

I agree the stronghold could be so much more, but I disagree with the OP about including a mega-battle. I hate mega-battles/sieges, and play fantasy RPGs precisely to avoid that kind of stuff. The stronghold in NwN2 was awesome ... right up until that huge enemy assault on it just before the end of the game. I have never been able to bring myself to play through that stupid battle, and thus never been able to finish that game. It still angers me that an alternative path to the end-game was not provided.

What's your issue with large battles? It's just a fight, but bigger.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Strange you feel NWN2 was "awesome", but couldn't bring yourself to get through a 10 - 15 minute battle in order to complete the rest of the game. Did you find it too difficult to beat? And as has previously been pointed out, it was really just another battle that happened to occur in waves.

I would think even someone who didn't enjoy that battle could persist through it for a few minutes in order to get to the next part of the game. But I guess we've got all types on this crazy spinning ball we call Earth. And of course, if that's how you feel, that's how you feel.

I just hope they don't go nuts with the epic levels.

The combat gets easy enough at level 12 as it is. If they make the PCs even more powerful (with amazing talents/spells/items), the only way the enemies will be able to keep up is with cheesy stuff, or they just don't keep up and everything is faceroll like in Throne of Bhaal.

My biggest beef with the stronghold was that the defenses didn't really do anything. Enemy attackers just appeared in the middle of the fortress or field, and you had a regular battle.

I'd have liked the gates to have HP that attackers had to get through, while you rain fire on them from above. Actually defend the fortress.

• Like 3

Strange you feel NWN2 was "awesome", but couldn't bring yourself to get through a 10 - 15 minute battle in order to complete the rest of the game. Did you find it too difficult to beat? And as has previously been pointed out, it was really just another battle that happened to occur in waves.

I would think even someone who didn't enjoy that battle could persist through it for a few minutes in order to get to the next part of the game. But I guess we've got all types on this crazy spinning ball we call Earth. And of course, if that's how you feel, that's how you feel.

As someone who didn't grow up playng computer games (and who has never played console games), it s extremely hard for me to manipulate mouse and keyboard controls efficiently to handle a large number of actions very fast. So the only way that battle works out for me is with most if not all of my companions ending up dead, at which point the game itself becomes meaningless to me given my strong feelings about keeping my companions alive.

Sorry to hear that Kanisatha. I can only encourage you to push through the learning curve as the payoff is well worth it. Mouse and keyboard are pretty much part of my DNA at this point, so I can only imagine your frustration.

As has been pointed out, pause is your friend. Just hit the big convenient space bar to pause/unpause.

I'd rather they skip the expansion and move to a sequel.

I don't see the point of making an expansion that just adds more dungeons and items to the game without continueing the story. If the team has some great ideas for the expansion, they can just keep them and add them to the sequel.

We're losing time here!  Let's see Pillars 2 already! :p

Edited by Sedrefilos