Two-handed Axe petition

2h axe, katana, ammunition, throwing weapon, underwear(i mean those magic enchanted clothes and pants that your char can wear under amour, ok, this one is too much), i miss them all

oh, and dont forget the 2h club, how could my barbarian char ever get a girlfriend without it? 1h club works fine usually, but those female orges are tough you know, and my barbarian has a special taste

Only if I can have Two-Handed Warhammers.

Agree.

Also don't understand Estocs and Pikes.

Bye

Phant

Whats not to understand?

It would be nice to have the classic 2h sledges and double-headed axes, just because. Outside of polearm variants though I dunno how practical either are/were irl which is probably why we have poleaxes instead.

Maybe in the expansion?

I can dual wield sabers that cuts right through plate. To say nothing of all the magic being thrown around. I'm pretty sure the exact practicality of battle axes isn't really important, and 2-handed hammers were used.

Pollaxe is a complety different weapon that haven't nothing to do with. Don't understand the devs choice.

I'm guessing that the devs wanted to ground he weaponry in our reality, and apparently axes like the one in your avatar were never a thing in combat. Double-bitted axe were either ceremonial (in Greece) or forestry tools.

Speaking about RL your exception is ok: of course Axe of my avatar is a fantasy representation (or maybe only cerimonial weapon) but in the past Axes were often used in melee battles. Not commons as sword of course, but, anyway, they were used.

That said we are speaking about fantasy game: imho POE is wery well designed but considering that combat is main of gameplay, a little more items (also with artistical representation) will be nice.

Bye

Phant

I think it is as others have said due to trying to keep some semblance of reality in their weapons. The estoc is a perfect example of the dev's approach to weaponry. It appears that they are trying to stick to real weapons and realistic damage types and armor representation via the slash, crush and pierce attributes. I think they did a fine job of it other than the estoc could use a small decrease to base damage to balance the almost always superior DR penetration.

Giant two headed axes and sledgehammers were never (or at least very rarely) used in combat. . The physics of fighting with something that large at the end of a long shaft do not support their inclusion.

Some sort of  a bec de corbin would be pretty cool though

I think the pollaxe and estoc deserved getting portrayed in games for once, and I think those of us who like realistic weapons deserve one game where realistic weapons are used for once since most other games go the fantasy route so leave us with one!!!!  And to counteract the gun-hater post earlier, we want MOAR GUNS!!!!!

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

If the game supported modding, you could easily add a two handed axe.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

What this game really needs is a greater selection of Pollarms!  Halberds naturally, they'll give the user reach I reckon, glaives for those who want raw damage and want to be more axey (increased damage), and bills which means a pollarm choice could then be added to Weapon Focus Peasant.  Along with these new weapons we could add in new weapon type bonuses as well, such as the bill having the feature Hook, which could either give the user to 'lock' one opponent in, preventing them from backing off, or pulls an opponent in closer, or gives an ally a bonus to attacking the hooked opponent, something like that.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

They went with a more realistic/historic portrayal of weapons than many rpg-s, so while they would be nice and probably hella cool I doubt they would introduce them outside perhaps some sort of unique version of a poleaxe or hatchet, for example "The Axe of Grognak"

The Estoc is a real type of triangular bladed sword good only for stabbing, like a big smallsword.

Dual wielding is not realistic sorry. 

And a Pike is way less practical without mass formation. I'd rather have a 2h Axe/Warhammer in small scale melee. 

Dual wielding is real historic thing that has mentioned even in lots of European fighting treatises let alone Indian and Persian where such fighting was much more popular.

And pike and spear are excellent dueling weapons because they give you massive reach advance over sword and most HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) practitioners would take one over sword in duel in any day if they have even lightest experience with them.

But also two handed axes are real thing in historical martial arts from which pollaxe, halberd are most common in period that PoE mimics in it's weapons. But also battle-axes which fantastic variations this topic speaks are used all around globe in different cultures, in Europe they where quite popular in Scandinavia where they were continued to use along side with halberds until in start of 18th century.

War hammers are one hand weapons what are actually already in the PoE, two handed hammers that some associate with war hammers in most cases sledge hammers or wooden mauls, which were used in battles in some cases but usually because their wielders didn't have better weapons, like for example English Longbow men who had wooden mauls with them so that they can put wooden pikes in ground to make it more difficult for cavalry and some infantry units to attack them are known to use those mauls in some battles where enemy infantry has surprised them. There are actual two handed hammers indented to be used as main weapon in battles like Bec de corbin or Lucerne hammer, but they aren't such weapons/tools that people usually mean when they speak about two handed hammers. 

• Like 3

I'm fully against it implementing just based on warped fantasy setting. It's so refreshing seeing polaxes and pikes instead. Then again, two handed axes did exist in middle ages. They did not see a lot of use, but they did play a role in last trial by combat in France. Curiously, they were used as mounted weapons in this case, and discarded in favour of longsword while on foot.

The combatants took the field in the early afternoon, mounted and dressed in plate armour. Both carried a lance, longsword, a heavy battle axe known as the "Holy Trinity" and a long dagger called the "misericordia". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_de_Carrouges

They could totally add two handed axes but the only way it would fit with the theme of weapons we already have is to make them something like a Dane axe or something like that.

The classic fantasy two handed double bitted monstrosities would kind of feel out of place compared to the rest of the armoury.

Of course a way out of this is to have one or two unique weapons in some categories which could look like something out of a comic book and they wouldn't seem too jarring since there would be so few.

The weapon selection in this game hasn't been seen since Darklands in an rpg and it is really a breath of fresh air

And a Pike is way less practical without mass formation. I'd rather have a 2h Axe/Warhammer in small scale melee. 

Actual formation pikes are like 15-20 ft. long. PoE's pike is just a long spear, just as the poleaxe portrayed within it is really just a big axe.

However, it really would be nice to have a proper lucerne hammer show up in the game.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

As long as one of them (sledgehammer, PLEASE) goes on the Soldier specialization so I can have a complement for my Greatsword as I destroy the legions of Estoc infidels... sure! ;)

Just so long as we get warscythes on Adventurer.

LETSGO

As long as one of them (sledgehammer, PLEASE) goes on the Soldier specialization so I can have a complement for my Greatsword as I destroy the legions of Estoc infidels... sure! ;)

LETSGO

You've already got Estoc/Poleaxe, what more could you want? ;)

LETSGO

Warscythes.

Wouldn't the Dane Axe be rather anachronistic in the current Poe time period? Perhaps just found amongst the Glanfathan's?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

LETSGO

That sounds more like a Peasant weapon to me.

Peasant is already a scary-good weapon class, man. It doesn't need any buffs.

(I am only half-joking. Hatchet and Spear is a fantastic pairing for a shield fighter.)

LETSGO

Warscythes.

Fair enough.