I think we're good on number of classes. I would prefer more specialization. All classes have specific things unique to them, carnage/constant recovery/etc. it would be cool to have talents that modify these in interesting ways.

Like constant recovery takes an hp/s hit to become a small aura or carnage only hits 1 additional target with accuracy/damage bonuses. Perhaps some unintuitive stuff like -1 spell uses for wizard in exchange for various bonuses.

Yeah...e.g., give that wizard a focus/bonus (or a unique spell) for a specific damage type at the cost of a couple spells (the trade-off would have to be fairly significant depending on the bonus)...

Something like that. 

A simple split between two or three development paths would be a step back for a system like this.

Characters of the same class should be able to end up in very different places at max level, but they shouldn't be locked into one of a few templates -- progressive choices like talent selection should have enough of an impact to really change the way a character plays.

(At the moment, I think the effect of talents is a little too small)

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

Steampunk style artificer, that is able to temporarily infuse weapons and armor with extra enchantments going above the enchantment cap, including new unique ones, with supplementary per rest grenades, traps and construct summons. 

Yeah, okay. That sounds kinda cool.  A "device" focused class. Hrm...maybe there is room for a class or two.  ;)

I'd rather see our class having an effect in the game outside of combat much more than actually more classes. (Class specific quests, events, dialogue. I know it exists a bit, but increasing this would make me happier than if I got a new class)

• Like 2

The base classes seem fine to me.

I would rather get more subtypes. More gods for priest, Paladin orders, something to distinguish fighters (mercenary companies they hail from? orders such as the Dozens?), rogues (organizations they trained under, like Dunyrd Row or Doemenels), Monks (master they trained under, school where they went), so on and so forth. 

Steampunk style artificer, that is able to temporarily infuse weapons and armor with extra enchantments going above the enchantment cap, including new unique ones, with supplementary per rest grenades, traps and construct summons. 

Cool concepts, but no reason to restrict access them by class. All this could be done with utility talents that boosted crafting/enchantment/traps etc.

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

So anyone have have any idea about what new classes they would like to see added

we would like see improvements made to the ranger.  am getting that the animal companion is what sets the ranger apart from a rogue, but the animal companion continues to annoy us.  truthfully, we believe that giving the ranger the benefits o' the animal companion (albeit diluted a bit) w/o the actual animal companion baggage would be a vast improvement.

paladin is kinda boring.  unlike many folks, we do not see paladins as a weak support class.  paladin auras can stack with a few o' the priestly buff spells making a priest-paladin combo greater than sum o' the parts.  that being said, we do find the paladin gameplay to be a bit boring as there aren't many paladin abilities outside the per-kill stuff that requires much player input.  am a bit perturbed by obsidian's willingness to cave to the mob and make the paladin better tanks or strikers when we believe the goal should be to make the paladin a better support character.

am not a huge fan o' chanters ourself, but we do not deny that they have a unique and intriguing gameplay-- they is an excellent support class.  the thing is, following 1.03, there are no chanter-specific talents that we deem worth taking.  that isn't a fatal flaw in and of itself as the general talents is more than adequate for purposes o' customizing a chanter, but even so, we would like at least a few additional chanter talents.

still hate druid wild shape.

still think cipher focus building mechanic (and a few low-level powhaz) make them relative over-powered, especially in higher difficulty modes with functional less frequent resting opportunities.

etc.

am thinking Gromnir is a long way off from wanting/needing new classes.  is more than enough variation o' classes with 11, but we would like to see continued efforts to improve those existing poe classes w/o fundamental altering the admirable design philosophies we see for such classes. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Peasant

You throw rocks at people to attack.

And you can gather a crowd to help.

Peasant's gimmick is that if left alone too long, he can form an angry mob of villagers to swarm the enemy.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

In fact, I'm going to design it now just for lulz.

Stats: End 12/level, Health 4*End, Deflection 15, Accuracy 25

Starting class ability: Infusion. Accessible through enchant menu. There's a limited amount of infusions per rest, but they last until the next rest. Artificer can use infused items himself, or give to others. Infusions use a separate enchantment cap from normal enchantments (probably better this way) of up to 4 points.

2nd Starting ability: Tinkerer. Artificer can prepare a set of devices per rest. Each device can be used only once, although it is possible to prepare the same device multiple times (kind of like prepared spells in D&D). All devices cost certain amount of points that are drawn from a shared pool, which grows with level.

Level progression:

L1: Infusion, Tinkerer, Infusion cap - 1 point per item, 4 total, Device cap - 2 points, +1 first level infusion, +1 first level device 

L2: Device cap - 4 points, +1 first level infusion, +1 first level device 

L3: Device cap - 6 points, +1 first level infusion, +1 first level device 

L4: Infusion cap - 2 points per item, 8 total, Device cap - 8 points, +1 first level infusion, +1 first level device 

L5: Device cap - 8 points, +1 second level infusion, +1 second level device 

L6: Device cap - 10 points, +1 second level infusion, +1 second level device 

L7: Infusion cap - 3 points per item, 12 total, Device cap - 12 points, +1 second  level infusion, +1 second level device 

L8: Device cap - 14 points, +1 second level infusion, +1 second level device 

L9: Device cap - 16 points, +1 third level infusion, +1 third level device 

L10: Infusion cap - 4 points per item, 16 total, Device cap - 18 points, +1 third  level infusion, +1 third level device 

L11: Device cap - 20 points, +1 third level infusion, +1 third level device 

L12: Device cap - 22 points, +1 third level infusion, +1 third level device

Infusions:

Level 1:

Proofing - +3DT against selected damage type. 1 point. Shield/Armor

Accuracy - +5 accuracy. 1 point. Weapon

Minor attribute - +1 to selected attribute. 1 point. Shield/Armor

Minor skill - +1 to selected skill. 1 point. Shield/Armor

Minor resist - +5 to all saves. 1 point. Shield/Armor

Piercing - +3 DT bypass. 1 point. Weapon

Interrupting - Increase interrupt rating by one category. 1 point. Weapon.

Stability - 20% grazes to hits. 1 point. Weapon.

Level 2:

Major attribute - +2 to selected attribute. 2 points. Shield/Armor

Major skill - +2 to selected skill. 2 points. Shield/Armor

Major resist - +10 all saves. 2 points. Shield/Armor

Shielding - +10 deflection. 2 points. Shield.

Weightless - +20% attack speed. 2 points. Weapon

Marking - +10 acc to allies attacking the target. 2 points. Weapon.

Rending - +25% damage over time. 2 points. Weapon.

Slaying - +25% damage against group as per slaying enchantments. 2 points. Weapon.

Level 3:

Twin linked - Fires two shots instead of one. Reload speed halved, recovery unaffected. Only ranged weapons that need reload. 4 points, Weapon.

Overcharged - Grants permanent lightning shield that deals 20 shock retaliation damage. 4 points. Armor.

Vengeful - Grants retaliation. 4 points. Armor.

Reflecting - Reflects up to 10 levels of spells up to level 3 per encounter. 4 points. Armor.

Living armor - Halves armor recovery penalty and adds 8 Might. 4 points. Armor.

Unblockable - Attacks Deflection or Reflex, whatever is lower. 4 points. Weapon.

Chromatic - Converts weapon damage to Shock/Frost/Burn/Corrode, attacking the lowest resist. Elemental boosting talents apply. 4 points. Weapon.

Telekinetic - Increases range by 4 meters and adds 3 DT bypass. 4 points. Weapon.

Devices:

Level 1:

Concussion grenade - 4 sec stun vs fort in 1.25m aoe. 1 point.

Burn grenade - 40 burn damage vs reflex over 10 sec in 2m aoe. 1 point

Oil trap - 2m aoe 4 sec prone trap. 1 point

Harpoon - 20-40 pierce damage vs deflection on target within 10 m, pulls to the artificer (fort resist). 1 point

Level 2:

Summon Animat. 2 points

Smoke grenade - 3 sec invis and breaks engagement, does not work if only standing member in the party. 2 points

Poison gas trap - Trap. 50 raw damage and weaken vs fort over 10 sec in 2m aoe. 2 points.

Phosphor grenade - blind for 15 sec in 5m radius vs reflex. 2 points.

Level 3:

Summon Adra Animat. 4 points.

Shock rod. Places a rod that randomly zaps enemies within 10m radius for 60-80 shock damage. 4 points.

Distortion Field - +30 to all defenses vs ranged for 10 sec. 4 points.

Explosive mine - Trap. 100 burn damage and 6 sec stun vs reflex in 1.25m aoe. 4 points.

Class talents:

Firearms expert - +10 accuracy with all firearms

Infusion expert - +1 infusion/rest

Device expert - +4 device points/rest

Armorsmith - Ignores 50% of armor recovery penalty

If anyone bothers to read through this wall of text I may add more stuff later.

Edited by MadDemiurg

I would prefer that they drop "Classes" all together, and instead implement a talent perk system that gives you certain "Major" benefits, that mimic class features.  IE, every other level, let the player "pick" a class power.

Wizard Casting 1

Wizard Casting 2

etc etc..  up to 6

Cleric Casting 1

Improved Accuracy +5 Accuracy with all weapons

Carnage

Animal Companion

etc etc..

If you ask me a party of 6 is plenty of classes. No need for multiclassing, which has far more utility in a game with smaller parties.

I have really enjoyed some classless RPGs in the past, but I enjoy classed ones, too. I like the classes in this game.

• Like 1

Personally I would love to see some kind of technology based class (using machines powered by imprisoned souls) to add some sci-fi to the environment. We already have muskets and blunderbusses, so the world is clearly headed in the direction of technological modernization.

They just haven't balanced the orginal 11 classes.Please don't add new classes before that.

Edited by bronzepoem

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

• 2 weeks later...

Ok another class idea. I think the game lacks a more interactive melee class. Monk is the closest match, but he is more "reactive" than "proactive" :D. Also chanter, but chanter is bit too passive and slow. Also, a frontline character that can tank not only by abusing the weak AI.

Mystic Knight

Resource: Energy. Starts each combat with 4*level (which is max).

Endurance: 36+12*level

Accuracy: 25+3*level

Deflection: 25

Health: 5*Endurance

Class features: Strikes and Powers. Powers are utility spells. Strikes are configurable melee attacks (full attack). Much like chants, they are edited though a menu. Each strike consists from up to 4 components and there can be 4 strike types prepared. Initially only 1 component can be used for Strikes. An additional one is added at levels 4, 8, and 12. Both Strikes and powers cost energy. All strikes have an innate +10 accuracy modifier and Average Speed.

Starting talent: Tap life force. Refill your energy pool to maximum by subtracting 5 health per energy point recovered. health is taken directly from the health pool without affecting endurance, unless current health is equal to endurance. It can never reduce health below 1 and only recovers a portion of energy if health is not sufficient. Instant speed.

Progression:

L1- +1 1st level Strike

L2- +1 1st level Power

L3- +1 1st level Strike

L4- +1 1st level Power, +1 Strike component limit

L5- +1 2nd level Strike

L6- +1 2nd level Power

L7- +1 2nd level Strike

L8- +1 2nd level Power, +1 Strike component limit

L9- +1 3rd level Strike

L10- +1 3rd level Power

L11- +1 3rd level Strike

L12- +1 3rd level Power, +1 Strike component limit 

Strikes:

Level 1:

Corrosive Strike - Physical damage converted to Corrode. +1 Energy cost.

Fire Strike - Physical damage converted to Fire. +1 Energy cost.

Lightning Strike - Physical damage converted to Lightning. +1 Energy cost.

Frost Strike - Physical damage converted to Frost. +1 Energy cost.

(All elemental strikes are affected by elemental talents)

Thrust - Push target 5m, +1 Energy cost.

Crippling Strike - Hobble for 15 sec. +1 Energy cost

Dazzling Strike - Daze for 15 sec. +1 Energy cost

Level 2:

Forceful Strike - Strike can target Fortitude, if it's the lowest of all defenses it can target. +2 Energy cost

Telekinetic Strike - Strike can target Reflex, if it's the lowest of all defenses it can target. +2 Energy cost

Withering Strike - Weaken for 15 sec. +2 Energy cost

Blinding Strike - Blind for 15 sec. +2 Energy cost

Knockdown Strike - Prone for 6 sec. +2 Energy cost

Critical Strike - +0.5 critical damage multiplier. Can be stacked multiple times. +2 Energy cost.

Mighty Strike - +20% damage. Can be stacked multiple times. +2 Energy cost

Resonating Strike - energy bursts from the original target to 2 additional foes within 5m, dealing 66% of the original damage. Can be stacked multiple times for additional +2 targets. +2 Energy cost.

Accurate Strike: +5 strike accuracy. Can be stacked multiple times. +2 Energy cost.

Level 3:

Paralyzing Strike - Paralyze for 6 sec. +4 Energy cost

Ghostly Strike - Ignore 50% DT. +4 Energy cost

Drain Might/Constitution/Dexterity/Perception/Intelligence/Resolve - -6 to select stat for 15 sec. +4 Energy cost.

Shadow Strike - Teleport to target (melee weapon only). +4 Energy cost

Fast Strike - Improves strike speed to Fast. +4 Energy cost

Powers

Level1:

Focus - +15 accuracy for 10 sec. 4 Energy. Fast

Arcane shield - +15 to Deflection and Reflex for 10 sec. 4 Energy. Instant

Threaten - +2 engagement limit and +3DT for 30 sec. 4 Energy. Instant

Surge - +3 movement speed  and +20 defense against disengagement for 30 sec. 4 Energy. Fast

Tactical blink - Switch positions with the targeted ally. 4 Energy. Fast

Level2:

Shockwave - 2m aoe, centered on caster, Prone vs Fortitude (+10 acc) for 5 sec. 8 Energy. Fast

Pull - teleport targeted enemy to caster (if there's space available) vs Will (+10 acc). 8 Energy. Fast

Shackles - 1.25m aoe, Stuck for 10 sec vs Will (+10 acc). 8 Energy. Average

Telekinetic shield - Shield on target that absorbs up to 100 damage, exploding for damage taken/4 when it wears off or is broken and pushing nearby enemies 5m back. 15 sec duration. 8 Energy. Average

Blink - teleport to targeted location. 8 Energy. Fast.

Level3:

Time bubble. - 3m aoe, aura. Enemies in aoe get -2 speed and -30% attack speed vs Will (+10 accuracy). Allies get +20 deflection against ranged attacks. 30 sec duration. 16 Energy. Average

Bladestorm - Get +50% attack speed for 20 sec. 16 Energy. Fast

Bind - For 30 sec, every 5 sec targeted foe is teleported to the caster if he's more than 1m away and the caster gets a disengagement attack against him. +15 accuracy vs Will. 16 Energy. Average.

Greater Arcane Shield - +25 to all defenses for 20 sec. 16 Energy. Fast.

Edited by MadDemiurg

I guess, maybe a swashbuckler? Like a monk but instead of wounds they are based on countering from a successful deflection? High deflection and accuracy, low side of medium for everything else. Their deflection resets (with a damage bonus) each time they land a hit but they can choose to spend it on powerful counterattacks. Basically think a more "active" dps tank if you want to use those terminologies. They could even have a class ability that reduces the accuracy penalty for shields.

It's good to criticize things you love.

Proper Shadowblades is what we miss , ciphers try to cover this but they are not Shadowblades ( Strictly Melee Rogues who use magic and illusion to remain stealthy and its already to late when you saw one  ) , also if dual class nonsense ever came into the game Cipher/Rogue would make a shadowblade 

Also some type of Healer who is not a priest would be welcome ( maybe expand druids on that i dunno )

A spellcaster who is summoner/necromancer(animancer???) but not a wizard

It seems that making Ciphers stole both Necromancers and Shadowblades from us , and tbh Cipher is just an OP class that is not even well made .

Edited by Exoduss

Proper Shadowblades is what we miss , ciphers try to cover this but they are not Shadowblades ( Strictly Melee Rogues who use magic and illusion to remain stealthy and its already to late when you saw one  ) , also if dual class nonsense ever came into the game Cipher/Rogue would make a shadowblade 

Also some type of Healer who is not a priest would be welcome ( maybe expand druids on that i dunno )

A spellcaster who is summoner/necromancer(animancer???) but not a wizard

It seems that making Ciphers stole both Necromancers and Shadowblades from us , and tbh Cipher is just an OP class that is not even well made .

Hm, what exactly from the rogue kit do you miss to make cipher a "shadowblade"? Cipher already has increased weapon damage. Both SA and soul whip would be just crazy. I don't feel like mixing cipher with a rogue would bring smth new (Rogues don't have many distinct class features outside of SA per se). Introducing new cipher spells that support melee weapon playstyle would work better.

Druid is already a very capable healer tbh.

Don't see how Ciphers replaced Necromancers, they have no powers like that. An animancy class would indeed be cool.

PoE does not need more classes, it needs fewer. It was an incredible mistake to push for stretch goals with all of these classes. With a new game attempting to pioneer new concepts and game mechanics, they needed to get their basics of walking before attempt to sprint.

I agree with that at the end of the day. I think it should've just been Fighter, Rogue, Mage, Priest and Cipher this time around. Cipher's only because they're kind of relevant. To have those and focus on them, would be much better. Maybe some of the other classes can come along as NPC only classes, but that way they could focus on the player classes. Maybe have NPCs have their own specific levelling paths so they retain some of their personality in their abilities.

• Like 1

It's good to criticize things you love.