Both are from smaller studios and use style of much older games, but otherwise the games are vastly different.

I´d say both are worth playing and good specimens of their own genre. People who like puzzles should go with Grimrock 2 and anyone who does not like a little bit twitchy combat should get PoE. Grimrock 2 has plenty of encounters where proper timing will save you a lot of trouble.

• Like 2

Both are from smaller studios and use style of much older games, but otherwise the games are vastly different.

I´d say both are worth playing and good specimens of their own genre. People who like puzzles should go with Grimrock 2 and anyone who does not like a little bit twitchy combat should get PoE. Grimrock 2 has plenty of encounters where proper timing will save you a lot of trouble.

This, games are really completely different 

Personally I enjoy both types of games. But I prefer your more classic RPG with real dialogue options like PoE 

But games like Grimrock are very entertaining in there own way 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've read that the Grimrock series of games plays a lot like the Eye of the Beholder games -- which are surprisingly very playable to this day in dosbox, there are even mods for them!  Eye of the Beholder 1 has a lot of charm.  Eye of the Beholder 2 is technically better, but has less charm (imo).  There's a mod that fixes some of the engine issues with EOB 3, but I never got that far in the series. I never played the Grimrock series.

Edited by Daemonjax

After cheating my way through Grimrock 1, I made a solemn vow not to use any walkthroughs at all for Grimrock 2.

I kept that vow.

Unfortunately though, I'm kind of dumb, so I got stuck on a puzzle like two hours into the game and had to stop playing.

Alas for me.

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

Different streams of '90s-era CRPGs are being resuscitated.  Pillars echoes the IE games; Divinity Original Sin echoes Ultima; Might and Magic X echoes Might and Magic III-V; the Grimrock games echo Dungeon Master and the EotB games. 

The original games were all very different from each other, and so are their modern homages. 

(I quite enjoyed the first Grimrock game, but I haven't gotten into the 2nd yet.  To me, the first was fun in spite of its twitchiness, and I'm not sure how well I'll tolerate that over the haul of a longer game.) 

• Like 1

They're completely different games. They're not even the same genre to me.

That said personally I prefer the Etrian Odyssey series to Grimrock. The DS was made for that game.

Either way Pillars wins out of the three.

Edited by Bhazor

both r good in their own way

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

The spell system in grimrock just annoys me to no end. Why do i have to each time i want to use the spell click on the sequences instead.of just pre-selecting a known spell like it would be a weapon... i liked the climate etc. But that spell system is just too much. And they did not changenit for the second game... so it is stuck on my steam account.