They only got about 1 million dollars from KS.

Yep, my bad. Misremembered currency on their KS page, sorry. Default budget of theirs before Kickstarter should still be those 3kk in euros, though.

I kept hearing that DOs kickstarter wasn't to fully fund the game but to expand the game.

More like to actually finish it as in "yeah, it should work now". :p

kids-gaming.jpg

Kids today -- they're no damn good!

Why, when I was their age ... [grumble grumble hacking cough]

Eh? Where was I? Oh yes, I was talking about my enlarged prostate. Gets me up three times a night!

I never talked about kids.

I meant the low attention span casual gamer.

Old.jpg

Edited by Ramireza

And let's face it cRPGs could never boast a terribly wide audience, so the fact that PoE wouldn't sell a million copies shouldn't come as a great surprise to anyone, let alone Obsidian themselves.

But 1 million in sales is not a wide audience, in the case of PoE it's a reasonable expectation. I know people are getting tired of having D:OS getting thrown in their face in this discussion but it *must*. D:OS is PoE's true Peer. It's a kickstarted game, it's a PC exclusive, it's an RPG, and its development costs was ~$4 million.

It sold ~ 1 million copies. Therefore, PoE SHOULD do the same. If it doesn't, then there will be legitimate questions to ask. The main one being: WHY NOT?

1. Graphics

2. Multiplayer

3. Amount of reading. Lots of people don't like reading.

It sold ~ 1 million copies. Therefore, PoE SHOULD do the same. If it doesn't, then there will be legitimate questions to ask. The main one being: WHY NOT?

1. Graphics

2. Multiplayer

3. Amount of reading. Lots of people don't like reading.

Interesting - to me, PoE has better graphics than D:OS does.  Sure, there's the 3D vs 2.5D aspect, but that's a minor detail.  I find there to be much more richness, variety, and sheer artistic beauty in the PoE world.

Not that I didn't like D:OS.  I did like it, but I don't consider it to quite match up to the calibre of game that PoE is.  I do see why D:OS might sell more copies since it's tilted a little more towards mass market tastes, but ... carry that even further, and Candy Crush Saga sells literally hundreds of millions of copies, and I couldn't possibly be any less interested even if it was the only computer game in the entire world.

Well, until they hit a significant milestone such as 1 million units, why bother?

Oh please, stop thinking that Pillars will sell "a million" :). What  means it anyway? If the number of sold copies will raise significantly in the future then because of 60 oer 80% sales. The mayor turnover already happened, the important sale time is over. Obsidian made about 10 Million $, i thinks thats ok for an extremly niche game like Pillars.

Relative high sale numbers like LoG 1 or D:OS where  exceptionsm, there is a reason why the "cRPG" grenre is dead and crowdfuning was needed.

This kind of gamers are now the main clientele for rpg´s :

kids-gaming.jpg

What exactly is the problem with "that kind of gamers?" All I see is a bunch of dudes holding controllers and a judgemental prick.

Console Gamers, PPL that loves to "beat" games, Person with a low attention span, that expect hand holding, "social awareness" and epic presentation.

I have no problem with them,  except for the fact that this means that most games today are made for idiots.

You really, really underestimate how much time is spent in game dev streamlining and compacting the gameplay and the mechanics as much as possible.

Also, I'm autistic. I have low social awareness. So I'm not supposed to like PoE? What about those with ADHD?

And you have no problem with them and yet you call those kinds of players idiots?

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 1

kids-gaming.jpg

Eh? Where was I? Oh yes, I was talking about my enlarged prostate. Gets me up three times a night!

Old.jpg

1) Put your hand over the mans body so you can only see his face. 2) Now try to see if you can avoid picturing him pooping.

• Like 1

kids-gaming.jpg

Old.jpg

These seniors are playing a niche Japanese bukkake-based CRPG featuring tentacle monsters.

sonsofgygax.JPG

A bunch of kids staring at a screen. Yep, that's a good depiction of "low attention span".
Two older people having fun. That has to be discouraged at all costs!

Now, why do these images serve as illustrations of something bad?

Ah, I see. They're holding controllers.
That changes everything, of course.

:fdevil:

Disclaimer: I do not own a controller. I therefore apparently have an adequate attention span, don't need hand holding, and hate an epic pres... wait, what? ;(

Edited by Varana
  • Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

In my opinion comparing PoE sales to Skyrim or like games in unrealistic.  The modding community gives life to the TES games, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.  I have played all three games and love them mainly because they can be modded.     The sandbox mode, free world also has its features.  What you do may not have any real consequences and the stories may suck but it is still wander around doing just as you please.  Add the mods that make the game the way you want or tweak the config file.  Some really outstanding mods have been made for those games and they are free.

• Like 2

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Can someone boil the question of sales down to "Success or not a success"? :p

I just want to know if Obsidian managed to make a good profit. Because I really want more games like this!

Unless Obsidian goes under due to other projects at least one sequel/expansion is pretty much guaranteed.

The real question is how much of this audience they can keep.

Can someone boil the question of sales down to "Success or not a success"? :p

I just want to know if Obsidian managed to make a good profit. Because I really want more games like this!

Unless Obsidian goes under due to other projects at least one sequel/expansion is pretty much guaranteed.

The real question is how much of this audience they can keep.

I thought the general concensus from the backers was positive?

@pmp10 HBS never targeted SRR numbers in their HK kickstarter. They stated explicitly that they would not be adding stretch goals past 1M, and stuck to that when they hit it with days to spare. The stretch goals that were in were relatively modest with the scope well controlled.

It was by far the most relaxed KS I've ever backed. I liked it. It's good to see a company keep an eye on the ball and not start throwing cartwheels the minute someone waves a dollar bill at them. I also believe it's better business in the long run, and will certainly make for a better game.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

According to the SteamSpy data:

PoE: 308k,

Skyrim: 8,2m.

Some magazines report that Skyrim sales on all platforms have reached 20m.

Even assuming PoE should reach 1m after a few years, which I feel is optimistic... something about that ratio is terribly depressing ;(. It often seems that the worse the game, the better the sales.

probably 20 m across all consoles.

also skyrim have alot more budget than PoE and it is watered down, simplified RPG that cater to the less intelligent mass, of course it sells more

Such a shame, what the genre has degenerated into, that games like Skyrim sell that high, and the insult that they are consindered rpgames.

I would be fine with a gaming industry where ES games appealed to a minority of the gamers, but such games being the trend...

If I could describe it with 1 word, that would be 'disappointment'.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Even assuming PoE should reach 1m after a few years, which I feel is optimistic... something about that ratio is terribly depressing ;(. It often seems that the worse the game, the better the sales.

also skyrim have alot more budget than PoE and it is watered down, simplified RPG that cater to the less intelligent mass, of course it sells more

Such a shame, what the genre has degenerated into, that games like Skyrim sell that high, and the insult that they are consindered rpgames.

I would be fine with a gaming industry where ES games appealed to a minority of the gamers, but such games being the trend...

I wish I could see it as a good thing for the future, that Bethesda would use the money to return to their roots and make another great game like Morrowind... but I doubt it. They liked the oversimplification of Skyrim, and I don't think they will stray from it. A pity.

I wish I could see it as a good thing for the future, that Bethesda would use the money to return to their roots and make another great game like Morrowind... but I doubt it. They liked the oversimplification of Skyrim, and I don't think they will stray from it. A pity.

I never actually played Morrowind, I'd like to see the next game more like Daggerfall, except maybe not have the world quite so big. Perhaps just three or four times bigger than Skyrim. One thing I really want them to stop is the tutorial dungeon. I mean, I'm not hardcore or anything but I can read a manual. I don't need to have to go through a slogfest of a dungeon every time I want to create a new character just to relearn how to aim a magic spell. I've hated the "opening dungeon" design philosophy since BG II.

Edited by Dadalama

It's good to criticize things you love.

I never actually played Marrowind

Me neither, but it sounds cool. Do you have to explore a tractless wilderness to discover the secrets of allotments and vegetables? Although, technically, Marrow is a fruit.

sonsofgygax.JPG