probably 20 m across all consoles.

also skyrim have alot more budget than PoE and it is watered down, simplified RPG that cater to the less intelligent mass, of course it sells more

FFS, does it always have to degenerate to this? I like Skyrim. A lot. For what it is, it's a great game. Doesn't mean I suffer a lower IQ than the rest of humanity. Jeebus.

Yes it does. Or, well, no. You're probably within the 25 point margins of error, like most plebs. "The rest of humanity" is pretty damn dumb.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

I don't think quality plays that big a role in the success of a game:  It is awareness of its existence that dictates success, with that success offset by how much effort was required to create it.  That is why things like Unity, Kickstarter, and Youtube are so important - developers can build a fanbase and leave a lasting legacy.  Very different from previous generations of game development.

Without an audience, the only mark that any media can leave behind is a forgotten gravestone.

Skyrim is a very good game, and an amazing sandbox CRPG, so that doesn't make sense. It's not a good party-based isometic CRPG (obviously), but that's another story. It's genre/accessibility, not "high quality" that limits sales (quite the contrary - low quality limits sales sharply).

Yep. I personally can't get into Skyrim because I have a moderately low tolerance for sandbox game design but my lack of personal enjoyment doesn't make it a bad game. Of course, what would the internet be without people to conflate personal preference with quality, personal dislike with low quality, and implying (or outright stating) they're smarter than average by virtue of their personal preference. It'd be like a spring without the chirping of birds.

Edited by Dravin84
  • Like 1

Grimrock and Blackguards were in Humble Bundles... and have been deep discounted numerous times. Ownership doesn't represent margins and profit. Grimrock is a more niche game than PoE, if PoE gets the same treatment through sales and bundles it would do even better than Grimrock. Blackguards was also heavily criticized.

Skyrim sucks. Plain and simple. No doubt about it. PE has LOTS of issues but it DESTROYS Sky****.

Skyrim ist a nice Hiking Simulator with a nice build Gameworld. Sadly the RPG Part is terrible : Nohting what you do have consequences, the story is terrible, the writing uterly dull and the quests are totaly boring.

• Like 3

Skyrim sucks. Plain and simple. No doubt about it. PE has LOTS of issues but it DESTROYS Sky****.

Skyrim ist a nice Hiking Simulator with a nice build Gameworld. Sadly the RPG Part is terrible : Nohting what you do have consequences, the story is terrible, the writing uterly dull and the quests are totaly boring.

Bethesda does two things very well.

1. They make games that look really good graphics wise.

2. They have great marketing.

Other than that I don't think they could make a good game if their lives depended on it. Their games are basically poop wrapped up beautifully.

• Like 3

Bethesda does two things very well.

1. They make games that look really good graphics wise.

2. They have great marketing.

Other than that I don't think they could make a good game if their lives depended on it. Their games are basically poop wrapped up beautifully.

They aren't, because well-wrapped poop doesn't keep selling. I don't get what sort of utterly neckbeared and fanboyish "My game beats your game!" nonsense achieves.

What would be great would be if they make enough that it starts a cycle of smaller budget games like this every few years that makes enough for them to keep everyone employed even if they have another major cancellation.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They aren't, because well-wrapped poop doesn't keep selling.

Sorry man, Call of Duty and Battlefield totally disprove that theory.  Actually most "AAA" games disprove that theory.  Though Skyrim is vastly better than most schlock that sells millions of copies while offering no substance.  It's just a really, really, really flawed game, like everything Bethesda makes.

To those calling Skyrim a bad roleplaying game: Its not. 

PoE heavily relies on conversation and the world to let you roleplay your character. 
Skyrim relies on your imagination to roleplay your character, but not as much dialogue and the world.

Skyrim basically puts all the real roleplaying responsibility in the player's head and imagination. There is no ingame restrictions in Skyrim that prevents you from deciding who you want your character to be when it comes to personality.

Edited by Ouroboros226
  • Like 4

Skyrim basically puts all the real roleplaying responsibility in the player's head and imagination. There is no ingame restrictions in Skyrim that prevents you from deciding who you want your character to be when it comes to personality.

Even better, you can do that without Skyrim. Make-believe FTW!

• Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

More people bashing Skyrim.

Let's keep a few things in mind:

1: Character creation is pretty good. Lots of races to choose from, and you can really customize the crap out of their appearance. Great for role-playing.

2: There are a ton of neat little features. You can get married. Turn into a Werewolf. Become a vampire. Ride on a horse. Sit in chairs. Put buckets on people's heads. Pickpocket people. Fus-Ro-Dah people off of mountains (always good for a laugh). All this and plenty more. It's great for screwin' around.

3: It's got good mod support. 

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I like Skyrim, though in terms of narrative it's not nearly as compelling as New Vegas, Obsidian's take on the "open world" thing for various reasons. I've been playing most of the TES games ever since Daggerfall, and that was a completely different thing from all the Interplay/BIS games back then already. They run out of steam for me once I've explored what there is to explore, and exploration is the main attractions of these games by far. The problem in more recent years was that it was all there is -- even Bioware, whilst hardly the same company of the same people as yesteryore, are being influenced by it, and until the Kickstarters no prominent names considered scaling back to significantly smaller projects really. Those games -- they are like the Summer blockbusters in the movies. Hugely entertaining when done well, but I think there'd be riots if everything that was available was an endless string of Adam Sandler comedies and Michael Bay studies in PG13 approved mass destruction. Luckily gaming has found ways to fund smaller projects too and make them viable on top of that.

Speaking of which, all the new channels of distribution and funding -- by which means of purchase does the most money trickle through to where it matters, that is the developerse themselves? Steam takes a fair chunk, GOG does too, then there's often boxed copies too at regular retail vendors -- and just being a popular presence on a platform as big as Steam certainly has the side effect of exposure.

Edited by Sven_
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I dislike Skyrim as much as the next guy. I think there's hasn't been a decent TES game since Morrowind (which was absolutely awesome) and I know that plenty of die-hard TES fans would wholeheartedly agree with me. The quests just don't cut it. Morrowind had good writing and interesting story lines, Oblivion had Dark Brotherhood quest line and Skyrim... well, Skyrim had a nice character creation screen and an engaging crafting system.

Still I don't understand how you can even compare Skyrim to PoE. It's like comparing Alien Shooter to CoD. They have almost nothing in common. And let's face it cRPGs could never boast a terribly wide audience, so the fact that PoE wouldn't sell a million copies shouldn't come as a great surprise to anyone, let alone Obsidian themselves.

• Like 2

Sorry man, Call of Duty and Battlefield totally disprove that theory.  Actually most "AAA" games disprove that theory.  Though Skyrim is vastly better than most schlock that sells millions of copies while offering no substance.  It's just a really, really, really flawed game, like everything Bethesda makes.

They don't, you just don't like what they offer. That's what I'm talking about. Sales drop when worse ones come out.

They aren't, because well-wrapped poop doesn't keep selling. 

The entire economic structure of the Western world since 1950 or so begs to differ.

Funny, but obviously untrue, or American exports would dominate the car market massively. :p

Edited by Eurhetemec

Only one thing I care about: did they make enough money to keep going?

I don't really care about PoE 2, or even this type of RPG in general. I love games with a good story, regardless of genre. I'd be happy if for a while Obsidian decided to make a more popular type of game just so they can keep going for as long as possible. What I wouldn't give for another Fallout or KotOR made by Obsidian... 

I supported this game not because of nostalgia for the genre, but because the company has done great things in the past and I don't want it to end :) It seems to me like lack of money was always a problem, and their games would have been even more awesome if they had more time and money. 

Edited by Raz415
  • Like 2

They don't, you just don't like what they offer. That's what I'm talking about. Sales drop when worse ones come out.

I don't like what they offer because they offer virtually nothing.  That's the hallmark of AAA gaming really.  Completely without substance most the time.  Just pretty graphics and lots of violence.

Edited by Atheosis
  • Like 3

"They're completely different things united only by a hugely broad genre. Might as well claim The Sword in the Stone "DESTROYS" A Game of Thrones."

Nope. They could be different all youw ant.  It still doesn't change the fact that Skyrim sucks. It doesn't suck because it is different it sucks because the quality is low. PERIOD.

\And, people spamming about Sky**** on the PE forum make me laugh. You spamming about it is not gonna make people like it more.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't like what they offer because they offer virtually nothing.  That's the hallmark of AAA gaming really,  Completely without substance most the time.  Just pretty graphics and lots of violence.

They (COD and Battlefield) usually offer what their audience wants which is visual and gameplay update to their arena military shooter of choice. They are usually pretty good in what they do, but as they are games in genre that has very little interest for me personally I don't find them to be very interesting games, nonetheless I would argue that they aren't game without substance but games with substance that has very little meaning to me. Which is why I seek my games elsewhere.

It still doesn't change the fact that Skyrim sucks.

It doesn't suck, Skyrim is great. That's a fact, PERIOD.

---

I'm not sure how stating your personal preference and taste as definite fact is going to be meaningful in any way, but apparently, it's required nowadays. After all, I assume you wouldn't write it like that without reason.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!