Why was Stealthy Scout, Expert Mechanic, Lore Keeper, etc, Talents broken in Patching?

Luckmann

Question

There is a range of "hidden" Talents in the game, that were cut during Beta, and isn't normally assignable during levelups. However, they were addable through the AddAbility command.

However, 1.03 seem to have broken them. Not removed them, just broken them. And I'm asking why.

I was using them to get around what I consider to be design flaws, and adding raw Skill Points is far from a workaround. I realize that they are not meant to be used, but breaking them just seems senseless to me.

Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to do a backup of my ObjectBundles before patching, and I can't restore functionality. Guess I'll just stop playing, I'm tired of fighting the game at every turn.

Edit: Actually, this is only broken for pre-existing characters, and re-adding the Talent creates a duplicate talent that actually works, so this is a legit bug after all.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

6 answers to this question

why not just reinstall and not patch?

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

Alright, so, I've homed in on the issue. The bonuses are not being re-applied on loading.

So I can use the IEMod's RemoveTalent Command to remove the talent(s), and then use the basic AddAbility Command to re-add them, but as soon as I save/load, it is broken again.

Thanks, Obama!

Because I assume that the installer has been patched.

t50aJUd.jpg

Problably related to this issue in some way: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/77258-changes-from-console-command-skill-does-get-resetted-after-a-reload/

It could be that it simply does not recalculate skill bonuses that do not come specifically from items correctly on loading and probably has something to do with how they "fixed" the stacking of bonuses that was breaking characters in pre-1.03.

Edit: Couldn't actually replicate the issue of Command-Skilled Skills resetting. :| So it might be unrelated to that issue.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Alright, so, I've homed in on the issue. The bonuses are not being re-applied on loading.

So I can use the IEMod's RemoveTalent Command to remove the talent(s), and then use the basic AddAbility Command to re-add them, but as soon as I save/load, it is broken again.

Thanks, Obama!

well iwe kept my original gog download, and the patch file

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

Thanks, Obama!

well iwe kept my original gog download, and the patch file

That's.. actually a good point. So did I. :lol:

But I don't think it's an issue with the Talents themselves. I think it's an issue with how effects are re-applied on loading.

t50aJUd.jpg