Just a quick question: what benefit does the mace offer compared to the sabre? While the mace ignores 3 points of DR, the sabre comes with a flat 2-3 points of BASE damage increase.

So, what are the opinions on the matter? To me the sabre looks flat out better than the mace, once you get even a small bit of damage increase.

the only other difference I can see, is that more often than not, armors have a higher DR against slashing than crushing damage, especially the heavier ones, but not sure if this counts as a general rule in favor of crushing damage

Edited by Gruftlord

Well I don't have the stats here to look at for comparison so i can't see if you have missed anything...

but assuming that there is no other difference than what you have stated then I'd point out that mace might still have an edge just because there are almost zero enemies that do not have 3 or more DR, so unless you have talents or spells or something that add more penetration to your weapon above and beyond those 3 points it seems like they would almost always come into play - and then even that single point of extra damage might actually be better.

Also as you say - slashing damage is one of those damage types that tend to have some problems dealing with certain enemies. I haven't tallied up the DR on all the enemies to conclude that it is "worse" than crushing, but I have a sneaking suspicion that crushing is a little more reliable, especially against typical "hard shell" heavy armor.

All in all there are a lot of very similar weapons in the game with only very small variations to them, so I wouldn't worry too much. You are probably just as well off choosing what you think is nicest for roleplay or aesthetic reasons - or what weapon type happens to synergize with other weapons in a weapon focus that you would also like to use.

-Stigma

Edited by thestigma

Slash is the damage type the most non-human enemies have a high resistance to, while Crush is the damage type the most non-human enemies have a low resistance to.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Plantlike enemies have low slash resist, undead tend to have low crush damage.

High base damage scale better with damage modifiers, so:

Sabre could be better for

- Rogues (sneak-attack)

- Barbarians

- Ciphers

- High might or/and crit oriented builds

- Ones who took ruffian focus

Mace is better for everyone else.

• Like 1

Ideally weapon (mean) of appropriate type would differ from encounter to encounter.  Now I do not know if claim: enemies tend to have this kind of resistance is close to reality, do not have any stats, but I know it makes lot of difference to have gear upgraded and to use water against fire.

There is Bestiary in the official guide listing all specifics and so it similar version in Journal, albeit needs to be discovered. So I would recommend have all 3 types at disposal. For example Axe for slashing and hammer for crushing/piercing.

Slashing against mage and crushing against knight. There is no simple comparison as "vs" depends on encounter.

Edited by knownastherat

It's the Flail that's a fast weapon, which doesn't make much sense to me, because it's so similar in size and weight to a Mace. I don't see how you could swing it any faster. Maybe the devs just felt there should be one fast weapon with crush damage?

There are two unique sabers in game that have 0.5 crit damage modifier, which no maces have, so if you consider that then sabers are probably better.  You do have to find them though, and one of them, the Purgatory saber, can easily be missed on a full playthrough.

Edited by Climhazzard