Hard mode is too easy, easy mode too hard

This apparent paradox leads me to conclude that for a person of average skill, in terms of difficulty, the game is perfectly balanced.

Good job, Obsidian!

Edited by evensong
  • Like 1

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

You'll never satisfy everyone no matter how you design difficulty in a game, but the xp issues, especially in regard to bounties, are real and easily addressable.

Everyone has different opinions, but my problem is the real one... yeah sure! :p

You'll never satisfy everyone no matter how you design difficulty in a game, but the xp issues, especially in regard to bounties, are real and easily addressable.

Everyone has different opinions, but my problem is the real one... yeah sure! :p

hay, i got a real problem here!  Cats! there is not enough of them as pets. it cute though when one of them eats my fireball or helps lead a swarm of monsters to me if i was trying to retreat/hide.

The thing is it can be too hard on easy and too easy on hard because of the way the game is balanced. Since all that hard/easy do is change the volume of mobs or the type of mobs it's going to mean if you're having difficulty doing fights no matter what you do it won't change it.

I found the banshee fight in the lighthouse the hardest fight in the game and no matter if it was on easy or hard it was identical. I can completely see why people would be saying what they're saying and I don't think it is because the game is "perfectly balanced".

I think the difficulties with hard being too easy are partly due to xp issues, but not so easily addressable. Without level scaling you can decrease the xp available but that will only cause issues elsewhere. Level scaling would fix it but I don't know how easy that is at this juncture.

i dont know how difficult but it woud be possible at list in some measure and some (important) encounters since the game already autolevels companions

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/