Benevolent = tough luck, you won't get this powerful artifact?

I'll try and keep this rather vague and spoiler-free:

Let's say there's an item which is needed for a ritual that lets you craft a powerful artifact. But this item is needed by an NPC to survive. You could kill them for no reason and complete the ritual, or you can decide not to do it - and get nothing at all.

Having played Paladins and Priests a lot, I know a lot of times you can / should tell people to keep their money or trinkets after having done a good deed. In this case however I feel a little stupefied, especially when seeing that every guide recommends to kill said NPC exactly for the reason stated. 

The strange thing is that this artifact even allows for different 'personalities' - I would have appreciated if that artefact developed different powers based on your choice with the NPC, or rather, that you cannot give it a certain 'ruthless' property without killing the NPC. But nothing? Meh.

Yes, I realize that ethical choice need not always be rewarded by gameplay mechanics. I just find it strange considering that in the rest of the game, keeping your dispositions matter a lot gameplay-wise when playing Priests or Paladins, and no matter how you decide, you usually get *something*...

Edited by endolex

We have a Stories forum for spoilers. Use it.

I don't have a problem with losing out on a neat shiny artifact because I did the ethical thing. Besides, that artifact sucks because it doesn't take your build into account, so it's very likely you won't have any need for it.

• Like 1

We have a Stories forum for spoilers. Use it.

I don't have a problem with losing out on a neat shiny artifact because I did the ethical thing. Besides, that artifact sucks because it doesn't take your build into account, so it's very likely you won't have any need for it.

Ah, alright...mistook the 'Spoiler warning' for 'no spoilers'...will do that next time. :) 

Well I could easily give the artifact to a party member, no?

I don't see problem with how game handles this. If you want to be mister/missus good doer and don't get one artifact because of it is reasonable, especially as that means that you don't need to go through 'though' fight and that artifact in question is not game changer.

There is lots of other things where cruel, aggressive and character with favoring other dispositions are out of luck if they just want to RP that disposition but want best rewards.

• Like 1

What kinda artifact we talkin bout here? Stats will do.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's not amazing enough to be an issue. Plus, taking the goody two shoes route isn't hard enough in most games so I appreciate the games where you have to take some losses if you're trying to do the "right thing" all the time.

I don't mind things like these per se. But in this case it's just...I don't know, usually in this case it's spelled out a little better, exactly what you're going to sacrifice. Some clear indication that you won't be able to finish the ritual if you don't have the thingy.

Choices have consequences and all that, in terms of roleplay. Not all choices should still gain the same reward, imo. I've come across several minor quests where doing what I wanted to do (benevolent, rational, honest) meant getting nothing but the XP I think (I tested via reloads so know I'd have gotten something else if I'd done differently).

Also, while I'm not seeing this as a spoiler thread yet, if the OP would like me to move it so it can be, I shall.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Exceptional spear with coordinating (+4 acc and 1.25x damage when attacking same target with ally) and marking (+10 acc for allies that attacks same target) enchantments (these can change depending on your choices)

Edited by Elerond

Choices have consequences and all that, in terms of roleplay. Not all choices should still gain the same reward, imo. I've come across several minor quests where doing what I wanted to do (benevolent, rational, honest) meant getting nothing but the XP I think (I tested via reloads so know I'd have gotten something else if I'd done differently).

Also, while I'm not seeing this as a spoiler thread yet, if the OP would like me to move it so it can be, I shall.

It's probably for the best if it gets moved, thank you. :)

Exceptional spear with coordinating (+4 acc and 1.25x damage when attacking same target with ally) and marking (+10 acc for allies that attacks same target) enchantments (these can change depending on your choices)

I wouldn't even give these examples, it has 16 different possible enchantment combinations, it's best to just take a look at its wiki page.

The fact that it's always a spear is my problem. I had a firearm team with one guy using long-range melee weapons as backup, but I didn't rely on that skill enough to make this artifact as valuable as the quest buildup made me feel. If I had received it at all, that is. I let the guy go and never crafted the spear.

If this is the person I think you are talking about, I don't see how it is a good thing to not kill IT. It is a monster with no redeeming qualities that will down the line cost who knows how many human lives.

Keeping the creature alive I don't see as benevolent but more question of balance of natural order. Someone that cares not for individual life but greater picture of nature would not kill that creature.

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 1

I agree. Those who enjoy evil, selfish, or more neutral play throughs in games that allow them get used to the idea that they miss out on reward and loot because of the decisions they make. Sadly many a game seems to operate under the principle that the goody goody character gets all the rewards and loot. It's refreshing when a game breaks that trend and it takes a more nuanced approach to role-playing choices.

• Like 4

If this is the person I think you are talking about, I don't see how it is a good thing to not kill IT. It is a monster with no redeeming qualities that will down the line cost who knows how many human lives.

Keeping the creature alive I don't see as benevolent but more question of balance of natural order. Someone that cares not for individual life but greater picture of nature would not kill that creature.

How do you know it will end up costing human lives down the line? I don't remember any human bones or anything saying that these things kill human beings at all. Maybe I just didn't pay attention.

On the spear though. I don't really mind losing on stuff for being the good guy, but isn't this like the best spear in the game pretty much? Kind of a downer if you have someone using spears.

It's still a sentient being. The Vithrack have an advanced civilization and are pretty okay with going out of the way of other races. You can't fault them for attacking when you encroach on their territory. 

Considering the little birth races of the Vithrack and how other kith races just love going to war with each other... can't really blame them for not even trying to build communications. 

And this Vithrack in particular was fighting for survival of their children. No "redeemable qualities" indeed.

• Like 1

I've had quests in PoE where making the benevolent choice got me thanks and nothing else.  I've also had quests where turning down the offered coin got me a nice item instead.  You win some, you lose some; if you're not interested in rp and consequences, look up a guide and do what gets you the best loot.

• Like 2

You see, if you had just garnered your character a reputation for deceit (I think it's Deceitful 2 this triggers off of), he'll attack you if you tell him you're not there to fight him and will let him leave.

Go bad guys!  :dancing:

I have Deception 2, but also Honest 2. I think it cancelled each other out, so the Vithrack believed me.