Hi mods,

Please can we get a forum for each class? Having a single forum dedicated to all the class, builds, strategies AND the unity engine seems crazy.

If I am just looking for, say, druid information, I have to go through pages and pages of irrelevant posts, and then when I do find a possible post of interest, it may turn out to be unrrelated.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

I'll forward the request to the powers above.  I don't know that's it's been a huge issue, but folks can weigh in.  Another alternative that doesn't require messing with the forum structure is a pinned thread for each class.  I don't know what will happen, but I'll pass it on.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I think a whole forum for each class might be a bit overkill. Some pinned threads for general questions might be a good idea. The best solution would be a more robust tag and filter system with some pregenerated tags and an auto complete feature; so people actually wind up with standardized tags rather than barb, barbarian, and Barbarian being three seperate categories. That way you could just filter the forum for all Barbarian threads or all Barbarian + weapon threads, effectively creating a subforum for any topic you're interested in.

I honestly do not see the need at all. The pressure on the forums isn't that big.

You might want to split the "Unity Engine" part of this forum into it's own, though, I would suggest combining it with the modding forum, such as "Modding, Mechanics Discussions and the Unity Engine" or something.

There might be some overlap between "Strategies" and "Mechanics", but I think it'd be good. They're distinct enough.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Unnecessary, but I've seen forums that are *much* better organized than this one. That being said, it's 1 game within this sub-forum. Not a terrible amount of chaos. A pinned thread that describes the preferred method of how to post would be easy to do with no changes. For example, title sorting. 

"Please use the following format:"

Race/ Class/ Topic of interest; Thread Name/Description

IE: Orlan Monk: Guidebook; Dwarf Barbarians: How do I max DPS with survival?, etc, etc

Creating an instant view of Subject; Description in each thread name. 

example:

say I'm looking for build guides to ciphers.

I don't want to count on someone putting the right tags in their op.

I also don't want to wade through the dozens, eventually hundreds, of posts that contain references to "ciphers"

I'd rather just go to a dedicated forum on the class, and browse through the threads there.

Eh, that'd make it a pretty huge pain in the rear to browse the forums.  I'd check one when I had a particular question I was looking for the answer to, but not  with any kind of regularity.  And that would deprive you all of the my valuable insight when interesting threads pass my notice.  :lol:

I do support separating the mechanics and character builds from the engine/modding discussion.  A couple pinned threads wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, but 11 of them would push new user threads to second-page obscurity (on default view settings) alarmingly quickly. 

• Like 2

I think it's very doubtful separate class forums will happen. That would just be too many, and I don't think over time there'd be enough activity to warrant one for each class etc. But some pinned/sticky thread methods might be possible (not 11 of them, but something). We shall see.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 is too Many? Marvel heroes as more than that as an example.. it's pretty standard to have separate sub categories for the main classes. Not sure how that would be an issue.

I mean it's too many re: how game forum structure has been done here for ages. The 4 forum format has been standard forever. PoE is a somewhat different beast and some differences/more fora have been added when needed, but it's unlikely the need (traffic or purpose) for 11 chr. build discussion fora is going to be enough to warrant changing that drastically.

PoE is a special case of course (beta forums, patch-beta subforum) and of course ultimate decisions are above my paygrade, as Cant likes to say. I just find it doubtful.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 is too Many? Marvel heroes as more than that as an example.. it's pretty standard to have separate sub categories for the main classes. Not sure how that would be an issue.

I mean it's too many re: how game forum structure has been done here for ages. The 4 forum format has been standard forever. PoE is a somewhat different beast and some differences/more fora have been added when needed, but it's unlikely the need (traffic or purpose) for 11 chr. build discussion fora is going to be enough to warrant changing that drastically.

PoE is a special case of course (beta forums, patch-beta subforum) and of course ultimate decisions are above my paygrade, as Cant likes to say. I just find it doubtful.

What makes PoE so unique in this regard? I found its classes to be fairly standard and their uses to be almost textbook.

What makes PoE so unique in this regard? I found its classes to be fairly standard and their uses to be almost textbook.

I mean that it's Obsidian's IP vs. not.

Hi mods,

Please can we get a forum for each class? Having a single forum dedicated to all the class, builds, strategies AND the unity engine seems crazy.

If I am just looking for, say, druid information, I have to go through pages and pages of irrelevant posts, and then when I do find a possible post of interest, it may turn out to be unrrelated.

Many thanks.

Its not a MMO like World of Warcraft, the class mechanics will not change very often here and the number of available encounters is limited. Also, there are only so many ways you can play a class. 

So I don't think having separate forum for each class is an efficient idea. 

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed class forums in games where there are multiple classes.  You don't have to wade through a bunch of irrelevant nonsense if you just want to see what's up with a particular class.  It just seems more organized.

• Like 1

Hi mods,

Many thanks.

Its not a MMO like World of Warcraft, the class mechanics will not change very often here and the number of available encounters is limited. Also, there are only so many ways you can play a class. 

So I don't think having separate forum for each class is an efficient idea. 

wow, I don't think I've ever read such a short post that I disagreed with more.

the class mechanics will actually change CONSTANTLY, as there are entirely new classes here, as well as huge modifications to classic classes, and that can ONLY mean that there will indeed by many changes that come over the next few months.

the number of available encounters is irrelevant, though hardly really limited, even in this game, let alone any sequels.

the classes in this game have more ways you can play them than any other fantasy crpg of this type I have ever played, and I played every single infinity engine game ever made.

most classes can be entirely changed in how they work; making them into back row ranged casters, or into damn near melee tanks.  people have done just that with the cipher and rogue, for example.

....but I suppose you didn't notice... because there aren't class specific forums to browse through to see it.

Edited by Ichthyic

I found its classes to be fairly standard and their uses to be almost textbook.

so... show me the classic old textbook from all the previous games that feature a cipher.

oh, that's right... IT'S  A NEW CLASS.

gees.

*rips hair out*

egads, the comments are inane here.

I've always enjoyed class forums in games where there are multiple classes.  You don't have to wade through a bunch of irrelevant nonsense if you just want to see what's up with a particular class.  It just seems more organized.

But this is a party-based game.  Almost nobody plays just one class, and folks with a general interest in the game's mechanics aren't going to want to keep tabs on 11 separate sub-forums.  (Or even the 6 that are relevant for the party they're presently playing.) 

• Like 1

But this is a party-based game.  Almost nobody plays just one class, and folks with a general interest in the game's mechanics aren't going to want to keep tabs on 11 separate sub-forums.  (Or even the 6 that are relevant for the party they're presently playing.) 

Good point.  But I think it needs something besides class builds, strategy and unity engine all bunched up together.

Good point.  But I think it needs something besides class builds, strategy and unity engine all bunched up together.

That, can be agreed upon. "Class Builds", "Mechanics & Strategy", "Game Engine" being broken up into 3 forums makes sense. Making 1 for each class, another for strategy, and another for the game engine is crazy though to do to a board with this limited amount of members and traffic.

• Like 1

Okay, folks, don't get too impatient with one another.  Red here, LadyCrimson as you guys may call her, has been running point on this issue and I think she's getting the kinks worked out.  I'll leave the specifics to her, but I don't think some sort of compromise is out of the question.  I'm on record as saying I believe modifying the current forum structure for specific class forums would be "excessive and unnecessary" and would be largely uninhabited.  ...But the squad *has* been talking about this, so don't think we've forgotten you.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I found its classes to be fairly standard and their uses to be almost textbook.

so... show me the classic old textbook from all the previous games that feature a cipher.

oh, that's right... IT'S  A NEW CLASS.

gees.

*rips hair out*

egads, the comments are inane here.

:skeptical: The class itself might be new, but the mechanic of "Build up points during combat to unleash special attacks" is not. It also fits into the archetypal rolls fairly well. It's a blaster with AoE and CC ability. It's also only 1 of 11 classes. Chanter is also technically new, but it's just a different take on the passive aura buff concept or a reskined bard, depending on how you look at it.