Thoughts about turning PotD on in the middle of the game to maintain "Hard" difficulty throughout?

So I've read a lot about how easy the game is supposed to get around Act II. I've been playing on Hard, using story companions (including Sagani because she's awesome and I don't care if its suboptimal) and playing well but without a few things I view as a bit OP at the moment (summoning figurines, Estocs, etc). Having a great time.

Should I think about turning PotD on sometime in Act II? Would that result in the rest of my game keeping roughly the same level of challenge as the game has had up to this point?

IE mod, y'all. ;)

It's basically essential IMO. I've used it to correct the companions' stats to the new ones post-patch (since they didn't make the patch retroactive) and to remove "lightning strikes" from my Monk in lieu of another ability since it's currently bugged and completely useless. Of course you can cheat with it (like that's a problem in a single-player game :p ) but in general, just having access to all sorts of console commands is a huge boon even if you want to play the game legit. Only thing I've done that I'd call "cheating" is to switch "Barbaric Yell" out for another ability since I didn't realize the watcher [MINOR spoiler] gets an ability that causes AoE fear that's better in almost every way.

So anyway.... yeah. IE mod. Lets you turn PotD on and off in the middle of the game. Would you say that turning it on in the middle would keep the difficulty comparable to "early game Hard" in lategame? Or should I just avoid bounties like the plague (already planning on it) to avoid overleveling (until they tone the XP rewards down, anyway).

I definitely think you should be able to to switch to PotD and back whenever you want.  I have no idea why they don't allow it.

To avoid people getting to the end of the game on easy and then turning on PotD just to get the achievement, I assume.

I definitely think you should be able to to switch to PotD and back whenever you want.  I have no idea why they don't allow it.

To avoid people getting to the end of the game on easy and then turning on PotD just to get the achievement, I assume.

Who cares?  If you can beat the final boss on PotD you could beat anything else.

Just avoid bounties and see how it goes for your play-through. 

Oh of course. At least until 1.05 drops and they (hopefully) reduce the XP gains from those massively. It'd be a shame to not be able to do them at all, as it sounds like they're fairly challenging pieces of content.

I avoided bounties and the Endless Paths on hard.  It didn't really help.

Not sure how... I'm partway into Act II (haven't done the temple yet but I've done a fair amount of the sidequests) and I've also done floors 1-6 of Od Nua... and I'm only at level 7.5 right now. Not experiencing any of the uber overleveling people have been reporting. Though the combats still aren't that difficult so far even at my reasonably (I assume) well-scaled-to-the-part-of-the-game-I'm-at level.

I got to level 10 around Act 3, had only done the first tier of bounties and first 8 levels of Od Nua. Also did a reasonable amount of side quests, certainly not all. Once I got to Act 3 I did not do any more quests besides the critical path because it was extremely easy and I wanted the last fight to be a challenge.

I am not upset about it because I intend on playing the game multiple times, I am however waiting until patch 1.05 before I start my second playthrough...hopefully they balance the xp gain.

Oh of course. At least until 1.05 drops and they (hopefully) reduce the XP gains from those massively. It'd be a shame to not be able to do them at all, as it sounds like they're fairly challenging pieces of content.

I avoided bounties and the Endless Paths on hard.  It didn't really help.

Not sure how... I'm partway into Act II (haven't done the temple yet but I've done a fair amount of the sidequests) and I've also done floors 1-6 of Od Nua... and I'm only at level 7.5 right now. Not experiencing any of the uber overleveling people have been reporting. Though the combats still aren't that difficult so far even at my reasonably (I assume) well-scaled-to-the-part-of-the-game-I'm-at level.

Yeah, I mean didn't help in that it didn't much help with keeping the game difficult.  I imagine being greatly overlevelled as well would be even worse, though.

Because, obviously, PotD is the real deal. The rest is a training excersize for n00bs

;)

I really feel I need to use a sarcasm banner here. Sarcasm and internet don't mix well :p

In my experience(sill fairly early), PotD is quite a bit up from Hard so changing the difficult could be what you need to keep a more consistent difficulty.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You can do the bounties without gaining the exp. Make sure you don't pick up the bounty's head after killing them as this gives exp. Turning the bounty in gives a lot more exp as well. So you can do the fights and pick up the unique item they drop and as long as you don't pick up the bounty's head you won't be getting experience out of it. 

I only did a couple of them so I don't know if you need to turn them in to unlock more. I also don't know if they drop a unique item every time. 

Edit: You can only do the first 4 this way. 

Edited by NoQuitt

I'm very early in the game still myself (have not had much time to play), I am on hard at the moment. Would restarting on PoTD fix this XP issue? I really don't like the idea of avoiding quests. I usually don't replay games so I want to experience all the content.

If not I may wait to continue until there is a fix.

So far the game's challenge has been just right, but then again it's supposed to be solid in Act 1 from what I've read.

Edited by NoxNoctum

If you don't mind losing achievements, you can enable PotD this way:

-type "`" to open the console commands box.

-clear the box (hitting enter does that)

-type "iroll20s" to enable cheats. it will inform you that achievements are disabled

-type "SwitchPOTD"

-type "iroll20s" to enable cheats. it will inform you that achievements are disabled

-type "SwitchPOTD"

To reiterate, IE mod. Console commands are enabled without disabling achievements.

All of you should be using it.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

-type "SwitchPOTD"

To reiterate, IE mod. Console commands are enabled without disabling achievements.

There's no guarantee that we'll have an IE mod for the next version, since the main modder has stopped working on it. It's better if people get used to using the "iroll20s" command included in the base game.

Edited by View619

-type "SwitchPOTD"

There's no guarantee that we'll have an IE mod for the next version, since the main modder has stopped working on it. It's better if people get used to using the "iroll20s" command included in the base game.

There's nothing to "get used to"... until such a time as the IE mod no longer works, we can use console commands without losing achievements (as well as do a few other useful things). If it stops working, we either stop using console commands (hopefully unnecessary once they stop doing stuff like changing the NPC stats on us) or use "iroll20s". It's.. really that simple. :p