Just reached the ogre cave fight

This is one fight where I actually used per-rest spells, but didn't ultimately have much fuss. "Tank & Spank" still applies here, but you'll have a much easier time if you focus on keeping the Ogre out of the fight. Once he drops, there isn't much to fuss about. My party was level 5 at the time.

Difficulty?

Cause I'm on PotD level 10, and they're whooping my ass.

So many bees :p

This is one fight where I actually used per-rest spells, but didn't ultimately have much fuss. "Tank & Spank" still applies here, but you'll have a much easier time if you focus on keeping the Ogre out of the fight. Once he drops, there isn't much to fuss about. My party was level 5 at the time.

Difficulty?

Cause I'm on PotD level 10, and they're whooping my ass.

So many bees :p

BEADS ???

what_can_cb510.png

Lvl 5? I have a feeling you're thinking about a different set of Ogres.

Also, while I know the video is optional-clickable, the topic as a whole could be spoilery, so I'm moving it.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

too many walls used as aoe spells.

walls, while they do good interrupt, are easy to move out of in an open space like this and do relatively little damage to ogres per tick.

you're better off using disabling aoe's like chill fog, slick, noxious burst (especially), or confusion (which is just brutal)... and since you're level 9... malignant cloud would be better than firewalls.

that's not even counting the myriad druid aoes like storms.

also, did you not even try to heal your guys during the fight?  use potions?  anything?

how did you get THIS far?

Edited by Ichthyic

I beat it on Hard on first try with lvl 9 party. Not that hard but long and boring fight. Showing in all glory why PoE combat system is bad compared to BG.

It's a PotD thread on the fight. I'm not a difficulty elitist (people should play whatever level they consider fun imo) but you can't really compare Hard to PotD. I ended up quitting my hard run of the game in Act 3 because I hadn't even had one character suffer a knockdown, much less come close to a party wipe, and was just getting bored.

post-150670-0-25214500-1428886897_thumb.png

too many walls used as aoe spells.

walls, while they do good interrupt, are easy to move out of in an open space like this and do relatively little damage to ogres per tick.

you're better off using disabling aoe's like chill fog, slick, noxious burst (especially), or confusion (which is just brutal)... and since you're level 9... malignant cloud would be better than firewalls.

that's not even counting the myriad druid aoes like storms.

also, did you not even try to heal your guys during the fight?  use potions?  anything?

how did you get THIS far?

Confusion is IMO the way to make the fight against any mob of Ogres a lot easier.  Nothing like getting them to turn on each other.  The problem with trying to kill them without any sort of mental spells that get some of them to turn on their buddies is that a mob of ogres has a LOT of health, and taking all that health before they chop you down is rather difficult and painful.  But when you use confusion or any other mental spells to get them to switch sides and attack each other, you're turning their strength against them and getting them to work for you.

Get'em to turn on each other and help the ones who are attacking the red ones.  And when the spell wears off, time to rinse and repeat as needed.

Just finished it (on hard, 9/10 level), then checked the guide, and apparently

this is supposed to be a bounty quest, and one of the ogres should have a name. The guide says that if you don't have the quest, there will be just loot in the cave, but in my case the ogres were all there, but they didn't drop anything other than ogre blood. I wonder if I get the quest later, would they respawn?

I beat it on Hard on first try with lvl 9 party. Not that hard but long and boring fight. Showing in all glory why PoE combat system is bad compared to BG.

It's a PotD thread on the fight. I'm not a difficulty elitist (people should play whatever level they consider fun imo) but you can't really compare Hard to PotD. I ended up quitting my hard run of the game in Act 3 because I hadn't even had one character suffer a knockdown, much less come close to a party wipe, and was just getting bored.

It is? How? I don't see PotD mentioned in title or OP post.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...