Does picked race matter?

So far no one has reacted to me being a 4 foot tall with huge ears Orlan.

IMHO Race choices should have had more of an effect as far as interactions and what type of powers you could utilize. The devs seem to let you do as you wish as there are no restrictions class or race wise but that just means all the tough choices just don't matter.

If I'm 4 feet tall I SHOULD get my ass kicked at melee, maybe some races SHOULDNT be able to cast spells...

Love the game but what race/class you are SHOULD be more restrictive as that what Rplaying is all about.

Monks that punch? If you go into a fight with just fists you should get murdered for even trying.

In a way the devs seem to want to appease all types of playing styles, but my Druid Orlan seems to be able to do everything with really NO restrictions. Melee, magic, shapeshifter, light or heavy amour.

Choices should matter...I was told at creation screen that I was a slave race, yet know one has told me anything otherwise.

Now back to regular scheduled programming ...lol

Gaming is interactive...watching TV ..not so much.

Not overly much, no. Overall, there seems to be very little reaction to race, class, order, deity, culture or background, sadly. I'm a deathlike Paladin, and I haven't even had any unique dialogue with her that I know of. I've noticed a single NPC react to my race once.

In the first dialogue with Calisca, where you talk about your background, as an Aristocrat, all of the options felt out of place with me being a Deathlike (why no choice about simply not being able to continue the line, or being disinherited due to being a godlike?).

When I started a new game as a Priestess of Eothas with a background of Clergyman (...no Clergywoman?), in the same conversation with Calisca, not only did she affirm that yeah, I'm of the clergy, but my god wasn't brought up, and Eothas is a pretty big deal in these parts, and when asked what I was doing here, there was no choice that fitted me, the closest I could get was settle down as a colonist, nothing about setting up a church or spreading the faith.

There are some comments. With my Deathlike Aristocrat, I could object to possible rebellion against a certain nobleman, but I don't think it changed anything. So there can be effects, just don't expect anything major.

And yeah, the mechanical effects of your choice is also pretty shallow, with no real penalties and pretty mellow bonuses.

t50aJUd.jpg

It does matter when you min/max or abuse some game mechanics. Like for example Fire/Moon God-Like Barbrians are broken as fk. But for MOST classes race does not matter that much. However for example if you take Auma with race trait +1 to weapon sets, but another one to have 4 weapon sets, choose Cipher, equip 4x Blunderbusses with Quick Swap talent you are able to generate crazy Focus and finish battles in couple of Mind Blades spam.

But those are min/max things, good for solo PotD or just fun from enjoying broken stuff :)). But for regular (even PotD) gameplay with full party- race do not matter at all.

Unless you are barbarian man.....barbarian....

Edited by Voltron