The issue is d100. My ranger has 111 unbuffed accuracy hitting the same target as the pet still manages to miss from time to time. This works the other way around as well. 100 whatever defense counts as high, yet a roll of 100 will still hit even if the attacker has just 16 accuracy, and they usually have at least 50.

what??

The issue isnt bad rolls, the issue is that it it doesnt seem to even be dodge-able and even when it grazes its still instant death. Ive checked the rolls, cant remember the numbers off hte top of my head but this isnt just me crying coz i got a bad roll, it consistently hits me at the start of this encounter every single time as long as the AI decides to cast it and when it does im dead unless i managed to get my figurine out fast enough to protect me and even then im usually still petrified by the time the figurines die

Are you even reading?! High defenses don't mean anything because of d100, i.e. I'm agreeing with you that it's not dodgeable i.e. even really bad rolls will at least graze you. You'd need at least ~185 targeted defense (on PotD) to have a good chance to dodge which is pretty much impossible to get.

The issue is d100. My ranger has 111 unbuffed accuracy hitting the same target as the pet still manages to miss from time to time. This works the other way around as well. 100 whatever defense counts as high, yet a roll of 100 will still hit even if the attacker has just 16 accuracy, and they usually have at least 50.

what??

The issue isnt bad rolls, the issue is that it it doesnt seem to even be dodge-able and even when it grazes its still instant death. Ive checked the rolls, cant remember the numbers off hte top of my head but this isnt just me crying coz i got a bad roll, it consistently hits me at the start of this encounter every single time as long as the AI decides to cast it and when it does im dead unless i managed to get my figurine out fast enough to protect me and even then im usually still petrified by the time the figurines die

Are you even reading?! High defenses don't mean anything because of d100, i.e. I'm agreeing with you that it's not dodgeable i.e. even really bad rolls will at least graze you. You'd need at least ~185 targeted defense (on PotD) to have a good chance to dodge which is pretty much impossible to get.

I did read it, i didnt understand what you said. Are you saying that a roll of 100 will always hit or what? what do you mean d100???

I really dont understand what you mean. It targets fortitude are you just saying that its hard to get a hgih enough fort value to counter the spells accuracy or....

Yes, pretty much. Rolls are too random. You can't pump your fortitude high enough to reliably dodge even if your opponent has low accuracy. The attack resolution is supposed to be a DnD rip-off with a 5:1 ratio. On top of that lets add some water to the flaming frying pan with the grazing mechanic.

Yes, pretty much. Rolls are too random. You can't pump your fortitude high enough to reliably dodge even if your opponent has low accuracy. The attack resolution is supposed to be a DnD rip-off with a 5:1 ratio. On top of that lets add some water to the flaming frying pan with the grazing mechanic.

Kk, yea i have just short of the max fortitude possible and it still always hit me. Its ust stupid i cant do anything vs it

Yeah, the fact that rolls are done with a d100 means that your dice roll has a huge chance to change the outcome of an attack or spell even if the difference between accuracy and whatever defense is fairly substantial.

A tank might have ~100 in Fort/Ref/Will while the attacking spellcaster would have up to 80 Accuracy, so the modifier becomes -20 (80 - 100).

Now you roll a d100 and have the following outcomes:

1 to 35: Miss (result 15 or less)

36 to 70: Graze

71 to 100: Hit

Even with very high defenses, you run with a 65% chance of being grazed or hit, either of which spells instant death.

It's a question of scale though. You have to decide what degree of miss/graze/hit/crit chances are desirable for tank/DPS/midrange and engineer a number system to suit. In this case, because they chose (d100 + modifier) where modifier is usually somewhere between -20 and +20, you'll still get Grazes even at fairly high differentials.

I'm generally a fan of the Graze mechanic where it applies to damage and most rebuffs, since it isn't nearly as punishing as an outright miss. Stuff like Petrify, though, is substantially more painful even on a Graze and I'm a big fan of the suggestion to make spells where:

Hit/Crit = Petrify

Graze = Paralyze

Miss = (nothing)

Or something of that nature, limiting your chance to Petrify but making sure the spell is still useful even if it just grazes.

It's the "low level effect". I played a lot of NWN/NWN2, made literally a 100 builds. I could have a level 30 character with 76 combined AC without a shield that could reliably dodge, not everything tho. If you have that much a d20 isn't that much of an issue, but if you are lets say level 1 then it's pretty much a d20 vs your base 10 AC which can be anything. Sounds familiar? Maybe it becomes more balanced in PoE2 with a raised level cap.

@AlphaMagnum that's the first reasonable idea I've heard so far and I support it 100%