I get that its supposed to be the best spell out there but in its current form it's frankly ridiculous. Makes fights where you use it instant win, makes fights when its used on you instant lose, its impact on battles is just beyond stupid. They might as well rename it instadeath, if you want a spell that is that powerful why not just make 'death' which deals 1000% damage on hit. 

The issue is that it is by MILES the best spell out there, the difference between it and the next best spell is galaxies wide. 

• Like 2

I would say dont use it if you find it too cheesy as for enemies i didnt came across enemies that used it except for traps maybe i didnt notice.

its like in baldursgate 2 where Timestop outclassed every other spell by miles.

And beyond gaze of the adragan there is still confusion which in this game still works a bit too well on PotD to consider it not beeing cheesy aswell.

• Like 2

Yup 100% agree. if you want to have the slightes chance taking out the Adra Dragon on POTD or any other tough fight Gaze of the Adragan makes everything a joke.

The moment i got the spell on my wizard I lost a part of the respect for the game mechanics. Same goes for abillities like priest Salvation of Time, prone Seal spamming and wizards' AOE Sleep/Slumber (another aoe prone).

Obsidian needs to nerf certain abillities in the game and same time HGUELY buff all the ones people never use to bring out the fun and variety in the gameplay mechanics or it will get boring real fast.

I would say dont use it if you find it too cheesy as for enemies i didnt came across enemies that used it except for traps maybe i didnt notice.

And beyond gaze of the adragan there is still confusion which in this game still works a bit too well on PotD to consider it not beeing cheesy aswell.

in PoTD there are plenty of fights where you come up against enemies that use petrify and i already limit myself to not using the super OP moonlike the game should be balanced, i shouldnt have to balance myself

in PoTD there are plenty of fights where you come up against enemies that use petrify and i already limit myself to not using the super OP moonlike the game should be balanced, i shouldnt have to balance myself

can you hint me where?

i probably never noticed petrification during the fight but i could imagine its more noticeable in a solo run than playing with a group.

However as someone mentioned already there was a lot of safe or die spells for instance in D&D (finger of death insta dragon kill anyone?)

i beat the adra dragon myself in the first playthrough with aloths gaze of the adragan but it didnt felt right (for myself) so i decided to pump in a lot of tries and finally beat the dragon

with a physical damage aproach with some druid spells to support.

I remember starting my first topic after the adra dragon how ****ty wizard is except for those cheesy spells which were mentioned: sliken, confusion,sleep and gaze

without those i'd say there is no need for a wizard in my party. And before the fan of flame argument comes its a decent lvl 1 spell but in terms of raw damage hands down druid wins.

can you hint me where?

i probably never noticed petrification during the fight but i could imagine its more noticeable in a solo run than playing with a group.

However as someone mentioned already there was a lot of safe or die spells for instance in D&D (finger of death insta dragon kill anyone?)

i beat the adra dragon myself in the first playthrough with aloths gaze of the adragan but it didnt felt right (for myself) so i decided to pump in a lot of tries and finally beat the dragon

with a physical damage aproach with some druid spells to support.

I remember starting my first topic after the adra dragon how ****ty wizard is except for those cheesy spells which were mentioned: sliken, confusion,sleep and gaze

without those i'd say there is no need for a wizard in my party. And before the fan of flame argument comes its a decent lvl 1 spell but in terms of raw damage hands down druid wins.

well adragans and vithraks both have petrify and on PoTD they appear in relatively high numbers in the lower levels of endless paths, furthermore the spider level has crystal eaters which either cast petrify or paralyse but can remember which right now. Ill conceed that its rare but atm im trying to solo the adra dragon on PoTD and there are 4 adragans that cast petrify the moment they see me=gameover :'(

its respectable that you try soloing the adra dragon im curious what class?

As im pretty sure the dragon is simply impossible solo although i could be wrong.

After all its a bonus enemy that shall be hard for a group (porbably impossible solo), managing to beat the adra dragon without petrify in solo mode would make such a optional enemy labeled as strongest encounter just too easy.

It was soloed by a cipher (there's a post on this forum about it, although with S/L). Tactics did involve a petrify trap. I think same tactic can be used with any class, but cipher powers were useful in dealing with the ads.

Edited by MadDemiurg

It was soloed by a cipher (there's a post on this forum about it, although with S/L). Tactics did involve a petrify trap. I think same tactic can be used with any class, but cipher powers were useful in dealing with the ads.

I think ive found a way to do it now i just need the right scrolls...

I don't know what you guys have against petrify. I find it rather lackluster. Not because it's not effective, but because there are so many better alternatives. For 6th level wizard spells I almost always use Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst, sometimes Chain Lightning. As for mobs using it... I prefer that over Confusion or Domination.

For soloing... well, if you want to be a masochist, then by all means be one and don't chicken out because herp derp petrify. There are priest spells that can 1 hit non-tank specs, you can also be stun locked until you die. This is all part of the game and I only see this as a pointless QQ thread unless we are talking about overall balance (which is clearly not the case).

I don't know what you guys have against petrify. I find it rather lackluster. Not because it's not effective, but because there are so many better alternatives. For 6th level wizard spells I almost always use Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst, sometimes Chain Lightning. As for mobs using it... I prefer that over Confusion or Domination.

For soloing... well, if you want to be a masochist, then by all means be one and don't chicken out because herp derp petrify. There are priest spells that can 1 hit non-tank specs, you can also be stun locked until you die. This is all part of the game and I only see this as a pointless QQ thread unless we are talking about overall balance (which is clearly not the case).

The point of solo play PoTD is that it is a challenge, not that it is impossible. Its teh way I like to play and the problem wth petrify is that it is not just instant death but its the kind of instant death you can do exactly NOTHING to counter

The point of solo play PoTD is that it is a challenge, not that it is impossible. Its teh way I like to play and the problem wth petrify is that it is not just instant death but its the kind of instant death you can do exactly NOTHING to counter

But what i got from the conversation earlier is that those petrify encoutners are pretty rare in a bonus dungeon which is purely optional (Caed Nua or how that thing is called).

That being said i appreciate if the game has atleast one optional area where its nearly impossible to do solo.

Its also something I would expect from an expansion: higher difficulty(not just inflated numbers) which means getting rid of solo mode as a achievement so that the game is not communicating that its possible or shall be done that way.

But what i got from the conversation earlier is that those petrify encoutners are pretty rare in a bonus dungeon which is purely optional (Caed Nua or how that thing is called).

That being said i appreciate if the game has atleast one optional area where its nearly impossible to do solo.

Its also something I would expect from an expansion: higher difficulty(not just inflated numbers) which means getting rid of solo mode as a achievement so that the game is not communicating that its possible or shall be done that way.

To be fair its not that its impossible that annoys me its that its all down to a lucky roll. Its just annoying because without petrify these fights would be a similar level of difficulty to other similar level mobs, just the fact they use petrify makes them several times harder. Still i will beat it even if I have to cheese my way to hell

You can't do anything about being stun locked, being 1 hit by some spell you are weak against (some corrode and fire spells can kill even a tank on PotD), being debuffed to the point of uselessness where you have such horrible stats that you constantly get crits (that might be grazes without debuffs) and you miss or graze. Should I go on? I don't think so. So I ask you again... why do you single out Petrify? You can't do anything about all the others either if you solo. The only way to counter each and every one of them is to summon some crap, let it take the burst, and/or divide and conquer.

You can't do anything about being stun locked, being 1 hit by some spell you are weak against (some corrode and fire spells can kill even a tank on PotD), being debuffed to the point of uselessness where you have such horrible stats that you constantly get crits (that might be grazes without debuffs) and you miss or graze. Should I go on? I don't think so. So I ask you again... why do you single out Petrify? You can't do anything about all the others either if you solo. The only way to counter each and every one of them is to summon some crap, let it take the burst, and/or divide and conquer.

I single out petrify because its effects are many times worse than other spells and its duration is typically much longer. just talking from first hand experience if i get paralysed or stun locked I know there is a chance i can escape or get out of it, but if i get hit by a petrify, even if it just grazes I know one auto attack=I'm dead. The x4 damage is excessive because the defence maluses already guarantee you will get hit for crits so a crit x 4 is just instant death for all but the tankiest of tanks

Edited by Ceranai

I was once knocked down for about 20 seconds on a fighter I was testing with (normally) high def, ref, and fort (all 90-100), but my fighter was so terribly debuffed that it didn't matter. All in all my deflection was like 0 and naturally I ate all the crits while helplessly watching. Dying slowly or instantly doesn't matter if you are soloing. Look at the guy whose rogue died from a few Xaurips. He just arrived on a map and those Xaurips were right there and stun locked him. The End! Would it matter if the damage multiplier would be reduced to x2? No, you'd still die even with no damage multiplier (aka Paralyzed) due to the debuffs, not being able to move and everyone targeting you, because there is no one else.

I was once knocked down for about 20 seconds on a fighter I was testing with (normally) high def, ref, and fort (all 90-100), but my fighter was so terribly debuffed that it didn't matter. All in all my deflection was like 0 and naturally I ate all the crits while helplessly watching. Dying slowly or instantly doesn't matter if you are soloing. Look at the guy whose rogue died from a few Xaurips. He just arrived on a map and those Xaurips were right there and stun locked him. The End! Would it matter if the damage multiplier would be reduced to x2? No, you'd still die even with no damage multiplier (aka Paralyzed) due to the debuffs, not being able to move and everyone targeting you, because there is no one else.

For the record it is a single xautrip skirmisher, and if you have any kind of speed buff you can run around him without gettting hit once and its equally possible to get hit once or twice and run away. Similarly stun locks are rarely continuous, you will usually ave at least some chance to run away before you go from full Hp to 0, the only exception being the main hall in caed nua but you can prepare for that fight. 

The difference is that there is absolutely nothing you can do against petrify short of summons/figurines to absorb it and in the fight that prompted me to start this thread there are 4 mobs that can cast petrify instantly, even if I open up with my first spell as a summon i spend the next 20 seconds frozen, one hit away from death. Keeping in mind that this character has very high resistances in the first place (94 fort, 104 reflexes, 79 will, 119 deflection)

Hard crowd-control can be problematic to balance (petrify, paralysis, knockdown)... IMO, it feels like this game has very limited defenses beyond having a priest in your party against such attacks. And feats add +10 to one save defense only, which might not be enough to justify the cost of picking one of them.

• Like 1

The issue is d100. My ranger has 111 unbuffed accuracy hitting the same target as the pet still manages to miss from time to time. This works the other way around as well. 100 whatever defense counts as high, yet a roll of 100 will still hit even if the attacker has just 16 accuracy, and they usually have at least 50.

Edited by dukefx

The issue is d100. My ranger has 111 unbuffed accuracy hitting the same target as the pet still manages to miss from time to time. This works the other way around as well. 100 whatever defense counts as high, yet a roll of 100 will still hit even if the attacker has just 16 accuracy, and they usually have at least 50.

what??

The issue isnt bad rolls, the issue is that it it doesnt seem to even be dodge-able and even when it grazes its still instant death. Ive checked the rolls, cant remember the numbers off hte top of my head but this isnt just me crying coz i got a bad roll, it consistently hits me at the start of this encounter every single time as long as the AI decides to cast it and when it does im dead unless i managed to get my figurine out fast enough to protect me and even then im usually still petrified by the time the figurines die