I've just started the game but feel a bit overwhelmed with the options available, mainly what race and character class to choose. I would like a fun build, rather than the most powerful build. I did some light reading and it seems that Fighters are strong but one of the best (or rather, interesting to have in your party) recruitable NPCs is a fighter and I don't want a "fighter redundancy". Wizards also seem underpowered, and whilst I want a fun build, I don't want someone who feels worthless.

I'm not new to these types of games at all but it has been years since I've played them, hence me feeling overwhelmed.

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

My 2 cents: Play an Orlan Paladin Tank. Building a tank lets you max Perception, Intellect, and Resolve, which gives you the most conversation options. Orlan are a great tanking race and get a few extra conversation options with a couple of the companions (more than I've seen for other races, at least). And Paladins are better as the PC than they are as a recruited adventurer because that's the only way they can improve their Faith and Conviction bonus to defenses by building the right dispositions (turn on the helper option to show disposition increases in conversation if you haven't already). You can pick whichever Paladin Order fits the way you want to roleplay, as none of their order specific talents are that amazing for a tank. If you're having trouble deciding, Darcozzi or Kind Wayfarers are probably the easiest to pump dispositions up quickly (Passionate options seem to be everywhere), while Shieldbearers can get a nice boost to Lay on Hands for when someone is taking a little too much heat. The one downside to this build is that you don't have a lot of active abilities, so you'll probably end up pointing it at the enemies and then micro-managing the other party members (which might not be a bad thing if you want to avoid feeling overwhelmed).

If, on the other hand, you're more interested in an active playstyle then conversation options, Ciphers, Rogues, and Monks all support more micromanaging and investment without overwhelming you with choices like casters tend to. In fact, a Cipher and a Rogue make a great pair if you feel like making an extra adventurer when you get to the first inn. Cipher does great damage and provides the necessary CC to help a Rogue do even more damage, and both can be effective in melee or ranged. Monks can be built for damage or tanking, and their tanking style is more active than the other tanks, as it involves throwing out CC attacks as you take damage. They're a little squishy in the early game, but once they get a few levels they start throwing around proning attacks and stuns with regularity.

• Like 1

Paladins for tanking and rp aspect.

Cipher for "Glass BFG".

Wizard for "Ultra glass would be BFG at later levels".

Chanter for "Iam kinda lazy slowpoke, but powerful".

Barbarian for "Iam Minsk, have you seen my hamster?"

Monk for "Operator, download me kung-fu".

• Like 1

Paladins for tanking and rp aspect.

Cipher for "Glass BFG".

Wizard for "Ultra glass would be BFG at later levels".

Chanter for "Iam kinda lazy slowpoke, but powerful".

Barbarian for "Iam Minsk, have you seen my hamster?"

Monk for "Operator, download me kung-fu".

correction:

Barbarian for "Iam Boo, have you seen my Minsk?"

since barbarian shines with high intellect :p