Options with Iovara?

You can also return her soul to the Wheel. She won't welcome it, though, screaming about how she doesn't want to forget the Truthtm, and PC says that it's his/her way to have their revange. So the game marks it as a cruel decision. I wish there was a way to choose this option without that evilish "I'll make you suffer, and maybe one day you will Awaken and suffer even more!", simply to make her soul go back to the normal cycle of life and death. 

Edited by Yria

• 1 year later...

Personally, I'd feel cheapened if that option was available - it would feel like a feelgood deus ex machina 'everyone lives happily ever after'. So much of POE is about how in life, you can't get everything you want, sometimes your sacrifice is in vain, sometimes the clear truth can never be known - and how you still have to live with that, live on with that. I appreciated that Eder never finds out the full truth about his brother, Kana never finds the Super Secret Lore, etc., and in the same vein it makes sense to me that charname can't just drop in on Iovara and her thousand-year-old struggle and simply say "hey now you're free" or "hey I'll end your suffering". 

• Like 1

Personally, I'd feel cheapened if that option was available - it would feel like a feelgood deus ex machina 'everyone lives happily ever after'. So much of POE is about how in life, you can't get everything you want, sometimes your sacrifice is in vain, sometimes the clear truth can never be known - and how you still have to live with that, live on with that. I appreciated that Eder never finds out the full truth about his brother, Kana never finds the Super Secret Lore, etc., and in the same vein it makes sense to me that charname can't just drop in on Iovara and her thousand-year-old struggle and simply say "hey now you're free" or "hey I'll end your suffering". 

So either it’s “everyone suffer” or “feelgood deux ex machina?” Eh…

• Like 1

Pillars of Bugothas

iorovara was my favorite character in the entire game. there are few reasons why shes memorable and likable.

we pity her. if we make right her situation then she loses what makes her character special.shes a tragic character like sampson or romero and juliet.

plus i think we dont solve iorvaras problem because she solved it already. it her own resolve that keeps her in the prison. shes the only one that remains because she committed to truth.

• 2 months later...

Looks like you and I are not going to agree on this point. That's fine. However, I don't play electronic role-playing games so that I can just have "real life" replicated (plus magic). I play them to experience a, hopefully, noble ideal of what I want life to be (plus magic). The point I was trying to make is there should've been a "feelgood" OPTION. It's just not cool in an RPG to basically rob the player of a more suitable spectrum of choices, especially satisfying ones.

I'd argue that any meaningful work of litterature, can never be such, if it panders to satisfaction.

'Satisfying choices' are also an extremely subjective position, I for one value being questioned in my preferences, having to justify my assumptions, rather than have them catered.

Fortune favors the bald.

I'd argue that any meaningful work of litterature, can never be such, if it panders to satisfaction.

'Satisfying choices' are also an extremely subjective position, I for one value being questioned in my preferences, having to justify my assumptions, rather than have them catered.

Seeing as you didn't use the quote feature I may be going out on a limb in thinking that you were responding to me, but I am responding to you. I am explicitly defining "satisfying choices" here, and my definition is one where those choices have resolution, closure, and engender some measure of positive enjoyment in me. Frankly it's not as though I am the only one who felt that PoE had a somewhat weak or disappointing story. I have read at least a dozen posts from here, GOG, and Steam that echo that sentiment. I am sure there are more. Regardless, in your own comment you mention "meaningful work of literature." Isn't that also "extremely subjective?" It seems like there is a bit of a double-standard in your post. Also, I definitely expect to be "pandered" to or "catered" to in this situation. When something is slated for a commercial release and I am charged a fee you can bet your boots it will become all about me. A lot of game developers (Bioware, Beamdog, Bethesda, Nintendo, etc.) seem to think that they have some sort of inherent artistic right to make their vision irrespective of what their customers want. This is utter nonsense and now with the power of the Internet I'd like to think they are becoming more aware of that. Obsidian, to their credit, seem to have listened to their customers more than most (thus the successful crowdfunding, though there are probably multiple factors at play there). There should be even more of that.

• Like 1

I didn't like Iovara.  Too pretentious.  Always twisted your answers to suit her own political agenda.  Other things too but haven't got to the end in a while to remember them (working on it with my current Cipher of Badassitude), but I just found her insufferably obnoxious.  I just wish that there was an option to tell her that she's just a cheeky dickwaffle.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Seeing as you didn't use the quote feature I may be going out on a limb in thinking that you were responding to me, but I am responding to you. I am explicitly defining "satisfying choices" here, and my definition is one where those choices have resolution, closure, and engender some measure of positive enjoyment in me. Frankly it's not as though I am the only one who felt that PoE had a somewhat weak or disappointing story. I have read at least a dozen posts from here, GOG, and Steam that echo that sentiment. I am sure there are more. Regardless, in your own comment you mention "meaningful work of literature." Isn't that also "extremely subjective?" It seems like there is a bit of a double-standard in your post. Also, I definitely expect to be "pandered" to or "catered" to in this situation. When something is slated for a commercial release and I am charged a fee you can bet your boots it will become all about me. A lot of game developers (Bioware, Beamdog, Bethesda, Nintendo, etc.) seem to think that they have some sort of inherent artistic right to make their vision irrespective of what their customers want. This is utter nonsense and now with the power of the Internet I'd like to think they are becoming more aware of that. Obsidian, to their credit, seem to have listened to their customers more than most (thus the successful crowdfunding, though there are probably multiple factors at play there). There should be even more of that.

A fair counter argument, but a pricetag is a consequence of our society, not an admission or requirement of pandering in and on itself. Art must try to achieve more than mere profit and try to do more than merely entertain, at least from most accepted norms and definitions of what constitutes 'art'

'Meaningful work of art' is subjective sure enough, but I'd argue that most of the RPGs mentioned try to aspire to this tag.

I'd argue that they have an almost moral imperative to 'push their vision irrespective of what their customers want' - while you in parallel, as a customer in a capitalistic system, must vote with your wallet on what you deem worthy,

In short, wer're muddling defintions - but I agree on many points, except the two above.

Fortune favors the bald.