Humor. Do we have humor?

Aside from the backer epitaphs (love it, by the way) I'm noticing a general lack of humor in the game. Maybe it's just not my type of humor?

The NPC banters are enjoyable and sometimes mildly humorous. I just haven't hit any serious laugh-out-loud moments. Where's my "GO FOR THE EYES BOO!" situation? 

Aside from that, I find the storyline to be extremely well written.

How can anyone in their right mind try to ship a multimillion dollar product without making absolutely sure that they don't upset all their players with a degree in Medieval English Linguistics?

There is humor, it's just less slapsticky and goofy. Eder has some cutting remarks, and Durance has my favorite lines:

"The Shining One. Never shined brighter than when the Godhammer hit him.

The epithet is outdated. Ash doesn't shine."

There is some, but much less than in say, Baldur's Gate 2. Eder has some funny interactions with animals -- one with your pig and one with Sagani's fox. Other companion interactions are also occasionally humorous, though it seems none of them quite rise to the point where I can recall a particularly funny one off the top of my head.

The game is somewhat over the top, I guess I want some over-the-top humor.

Hell, Fallout 3 had a side mission in which you had to collect Naughty Nightware for a guy; and Fallout:NV had stuff like Fantastic, who had some great lines:

Fantastic: No, man. I know exactly what I'm doing. I just don't know what effect it's going to have.
Fantastic: "They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physicsThey said welcome aboard."
Fantastic: "Well, see, we're getting power because the guy running this place is Fantastic."
Fantastic: "Got the whole NCR suckling my teats, and it feels so good."
Fantastic: "...the mirrors outside aren't aimed right, so we're running at one percent efficiency. And I guess that just isn't good enough for some ****."

How can anyone in their right mind try to ship a multimillion dollar product without making absolutely sure that they don't upset all their players with a degree in Medieval English Linguistics?

The world is just more miserable and more grim, as compared to the BG example you brought up. Thats not a problem as far as i´m concerned, but a bit more humor wouldn´t hurt. Most humor is very subtle and dark, which i do like because it fits mine and there have been several cases that made me laugh, however usually thanks to party banter as you said yourself.

When i think about it...hm. i think it has to do with the false understanding of "mature" content and what makes a game "adult". So there is a lot of forced horrible decisions and confrontations where there is no good choice (just like in real life), however very well written really!!! But that doesn´t mean you can´t have light hearted humor in the game.

Can´t say i´m complainig though, i think they did a great job.

Edited by cirdanx

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Oh, there's humor.  It's just a dryer sort than the "in your face" humor of some games.  Eder has some very funny things to say at certain points in the game, and some of the dialog between him and other characters is pretty funny too.

That's not even to mention something I find wryly amusing: there's this black and white cat (in-game pet) following me around.  And no matter what happens... huge battles with 20 armed men, drakes throwing fire around and ogre priests casting huge elemental storm spells with lightning, the cat is utterly unphased by any of this.  It's just like, "<yawn> ... when you are all done there human, we can get moving again."

Aloth's personal quest + Eder (and maybe Kana/others) is hilarious. Of course, this depends on what type of humor one likes - but I lol'd twice (I reloaded to replay the whole sequence). Also, their "banter."

Overall however, as the others have said, it's not really what I'd call a quirky/humorous environment/game. There's dry/sarcastic wit here and there but mostly nothing outlandish.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The inter-party stuff is good.  Durance's comment on the Godhammer and "never shone brighter" mentioned above were excellent in particular.

Also, "Go for the eyes boo!" stopped being funny about a decade ago.

It stopped being funny to me after about the 5th time I had to listen to it. Not that I don't think it's a classic line. And I did like Boo. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The inter-party stuff is good.  Durance's comment on the Godhammer and "never shone brighter" mentioned above were excellent in particular.

Also, "Go for the eyes boo!" stopped being funny about a decade ago.

True!

But...fast-clicking on Boo for an abnormal time an laughing your ass off will NEVER get old :p

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Unfortunately they couldn't capture the same interesting characters and same level of writing as the BG series. But its a great CRPG for today's standards.

the bg series included bg.  

thank goodness developers and consumers have higher standards than the benchmark set by bg insofar as writing is concerned.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

people who find minsc and his hamster funny and worthy of emulation have the sense of humor of dull children

Minsc was and is funny, it's just a different kind of humor. Personally, I find Eder's blunt, world-weary cynicism and sarcastic observations more entertaining, but that's just me.

Edited by Katarack21

people who find minsc and his hamster funny and worthy of emulation have the sense of humor of dull children

Minsc was and is funny, it's just a different kind of humor. Personally, I find Eder's blunt, world-weary cynicism and sarcastic observations more entertaining, but that's just me.

You AND me. Minsc had simple standarts for what was right and wrong, he was a big child. Never found him funny, but still loved his char.