Dumb Question About Damage

How is damage calculated? I feel dumb for asking but I can't seem to find out why a damage number is what it is in the battle log. Every time I am playing and I wonder about damage I think "look it up in the combat notes in your journal", but all I can find is damage types. 

Damage = Base damage * might modifier - damage resistance.  This is then halved for a graze and boosted by 50% for a critical hit. (Barring talents/items modifying this)

EDIT: Oh, the halving/boosting of damage because of a hit roll actually occurs -before- damage reduction is applied. So if you graze against a tough foe, you'll do very little. On the other hand, even if the enemy damage resistance is super-high, 20% always goes through.

There are also other talents, items and abilities that modify damage. You can find the damage range in the description of your weapon or spell, though situational modifiers aren't listed. (Like a weapon dealing 115% damage against spirits) But you should be able to see whether those apply by hovering over the damage number in the combat log.

You can find out enemy damage resistance by looking in your bestiary or hovering over the enemy with the mouse... if you have enough knowledge of this enemy type. Often you'll have to guess or experiment.

It's more complicated if your weapon does multiple types of damage, like the elemental lash enchantments. There was a thread a while back on how this interacted with enemy damage resistance, but don't actually recall what conclusions, if any, came from it.

Edited by Iguana-on-a-stick
  • Like 1

Damage = Base damage * might modifier - damage resistance.  

Boom. Thanks. 

There are also other talents, items and abilities that modify damage. You can find the damage range in the description of your weapon or spell, though situational modifiers aren't listed. (Like a weapon dealing 115% damage against spirits) But you should be able to see whether those apply by hovering over the damage number in the combat log.

This is probably part of my problem as well. I have seen a different number for my damage number prior to damage reduction (in the log) in the same fight on similar enemies (on similar attack rolls). Thanks again.

You're welcome.

This is probably part of my problem as well. I have seen a different number for my damage number prior to damage reduction (in the log) in the same fight on similar enemies (on similar attack rolls). Thanks again.

Remember that base damage is actually a random range. So a weapon might do 10-15 base damage... which means that 2 attacks that both hit might still do a different amount of damage.

You're welcome.

Remember that base damage is actually a random range. So a weapon might do 10-15 base damage... which means that 2 attacks that both hit might still do a different amount of damage.

THAT is my problem...among other things. That range was making me scratch my head and couldn't figure out why the number was slightly varied. Another thanks is in order my friend.