Triple Crown Solo & Josh Sawyer

I'm pretty sure that it's Josh's likeness on the Triple Crown Solo achievement in Steam. So, does that mean he's the poster child for triple crown solo? As in he's beaten the game in this mode?

I mean, if his image is going to be used to represent the achievement, one would hope that it's because he has actually completed the achievement himself.

Anyone in the know care to comment? Anyone? Ah.... yes, you sir!

<waits>

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

If I remember correctly, Sawyer actually said himself that he didn't think anyone would be able to do it, or that it would be incredibly hard to the point of no-one in-office being able to do it so far.

I don't think Sawyer himself has been even close to doing it, and the icon (I can't see it myself) is probably just ego.

t50aJUd.jpg

and the icon (I can't see it myself) is probably just ego.

Dude, it's a joke, in a "you can thank him for this" kinda way, like the big heads toggle. Most likely event he didn't even participate in giving feedback on how the icons should look. Hell, he might have even discovered them the same time we did, when the game was put on sale.

• Like 4

If I remember correctly, Sawyer actually said himself that he didn't think anyone would be able to do it, or that it would be incredibly hard to the point of no-one in-office being able to do it so far.

I don't think Sawyer himself has been even close to doing it, and the icon (I can't see it myself) is probably just ego.

I would say it is more of a taunting face :p

Apparently this dude did it with an all-13 stats Chanter in patch 1.03

http://imgur.com/kMa7gnN

Edit with Reddit post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/32nuyv/the_complete_guide_to_triple_crown_solo_as_a/

My favorite part of that thread:

crasher_pt 

Is that Josh in the icon?

[akisse [guy who soloed]

Who is Josh?

Edited by anameforobsidian

I love this fixation some people have with Sawyer, it's like I'm listening in on a bunch of 13 year olds who have randomly decided to zealously hate a celebrity and talk smack about how he probably never brushes his teeth before he sleeps, either. 

Interesting build from that chanter guy in the reddit link. From my limited experiments with solo it definitely seems Con/Res/Per become more important in higher difficulty solo, and it's not a no-brainer to max Might/Dex/Int. Getting that animat horn is a big booster to survivability, though from what I've seen you basically need to pick most of Act 1 areas clean (let's say, everything except Caed Nua and some of Raedric's Hold) to raise the sum. 

• Like 11

That horn was really cheap pre-patches. laughing.gif

Didn't read that reddit link but for most that I've seen, soloing seems to involve a lot of what some might call "cheese" tactics. Which imo isn't a bad thing - must be crazy hard to solo on PotD etc. and using every advantage (summon items say)...don't see anything wrong with that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

According to him he had to exploit on the last battle, because it was so heavily imbalanced. I believe I read in patch 1.05 they will rebalanced the finale fight.

I really hope this doesn't happen. With the lack of difficulty in most encounters, making one of the most notable even easier isn't a good thing IMO.

According to him he had to exploit on the last battle, because it was so heavily imbalanced. I believe I read in patch 1.05 they will rebalanced the finale fight.

I really hope this doesn't happen. With the lack of difficulty in most encounters, making one of the most notable even easier isn't a good thing IMO.

Yes.  It is great as it is now :(

Nothing like those critical head shots from so far away that the other ant-sized enemies just ran around in confused circles when you started to kill them. :lol: Man I loved FO:NV.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sometimes I wonder if I'm even playing the same game as some of the people on the forums... of course everyone's experience and perception of difficulty is different, but to make such a general statement about a game which has already some challenging fights on hard that require at least a somewhat well-rounded party and some tactics, and a lot of really tough encounters on PotD that actually require a well thought-out and mostly minmaxed group, I think the description 'lack of difficulty in most encounters' is simply wrong (or more bluntly: self-deceiving elitist bull**** :D)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm even playing the same game as some of the people on the forums... of course everyone's experience and perception of difficulty is different, but to make such a general statement about a game which has already some challenging fights on hard that require at least a somewhat well-rounded party and some tactics, and a lot of really tough encounters on PotD that actually require a well thought-out and mostly minmaxed group, I think the description 'lack of difficulty in most encounters' is simply wrong (or more bluntly: self-deceiving elitist bull**** :D)

"Some challenging fights" and a "lack of difficulty in most encounters" are not mutually exclusive.

Hard was not hard; it was generally fairly easy.  Some of the fights I did were challenging.  Some were hard dependent on your level.  One was genuinely hard.  I reloaded once due to a party wipe when I went into the temple-dungeon too early, once on some ogres, once in a Defiance Bay location, and seven times on the final fight.

• Like 1

"Some challenging fights" and a "lack of difficulty in most encounters" are not mutually exclusive.

Hard was not hard; it was generally fairly easy.  Some of the fights I did were challenging.  Some were hard dependent on your level.  One was genuinely hard.  I reloaded once due to a party wipe when I went into the temple-dungeon too early, once on some ogres, once in a Defiance Bay location, and seven times on the final fight.

I'm playing on normal. I've had reload multiple times on several major fights, including

five times on the first fight with Raedric, three times on the final fight in the Skaen temple, four times against the bounty ogre in the cave, and four times on the fight with fampyr Raedric.

Now again, difficulty is entirely subjective. You can just say I suck, and yeah--maybe I do. Probably I do; I often find strategy and tactical games difficult. Regardless, the game has not provided me with a lack of difficulty.

Edited by Katarack21

I didn't do any of the bounties, and my undead Raedric fight came down to just him and Eder, but the other two weren't that bad for me; I did Raedric fight #1 after Defiance Bay due to the bugs, though, so I was pretty overlevelled.  The Skaen cultists, I remember being difficult but doable my first try.

I'm not that good at these games, and I don't find Hard all that hard. I did a Trial of Iron run and did not have significant trouble clearing everything up to Defiance Bay. It did make a few fights tense but in a good way, since the stakes were that much higher.

I'm pretty certain I would not have done as well in, say, IWD on Core Rules.

(Not at my gaming machine until a couple more weeks so I haven't been able to continue it. I haven't finished the game yet, even, so I'll probably start a new one without Trial of Iron, but just try to pretend it is.)

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I think that three reason why PoE feels easier than let say IWD is that you have much harder time to build such party which members are mainly useless in fights, there is much less moments when you just outright die if you weren't prepared right, and you are able to get you party be over leveled towards most harder encounters by doing all the low level quests around Gilded Vale, as when you once get over leveled you mostly keep being overleveled (meaning that you are in many cases several levels higher than enemies that you face) until you find those few encounters that are meant mainly for 12 level parties, but aren't impossible with lower level parties.

Only difficulty level that rises difficulty of individual enemies is Path of Damned as it also rises enemies stats where others difficulty levels only change how many enemies or by changing them higher level ones (like young wolves (level 1 wolf) to wolves (level 5 wolf) and wolves (level 5 wolf) to elder wolves (level 9 wolf)), which usually only means that you need to do bit more low level quest before you overlevel encounters. you will face. Also because pathing in the game is what it is more enemies don't necessary mean harder encounter as enemies block each other out from the fight.

And I have also noticed that Stronghold can cause you get XP quite fast if RNG hits right spot as it randomly gives quest where you can sent your of party companions and some of those quest give XP bonus, and as it is given as percent bonus from quest that you did during that adventure it can be quite high. I am not sure if it should give that bonus XP to all the characters you control PC, and companions in party and companions that are in the keep, instead of just companions that are in the keep but it seem to do so or actually I think that it gives XP only to your party and members in the keep just get small percentage smaller XP amount that your PC has when you take them back in your party.  But anyway I think that random additional XP you get from those keep quest is probably reason why some people like me have been able to reach level 12 in act II and some people can't reach it even when they do all the quest with guidance of strategy guide.

I'm not that good at these games, and I don't find Hard all that hard. I did a Trial of Iron run and did not have significant trouble clearing everything up to Defiance Bay. It did make a few fights tense but in a good way, since the stakes were that much higher.

I'm pretty certain I would not have done as well in, say, IWD on Core Rules.

(Not at my gaming machine until a couple more weeks so I haven't been able to continue it. I haven't finished the game yet, even, so I'll probably start a new one without Trial of Iron, but just try to pretend it is.)

I think its because D&D rules rely much more on random, some fight can be extremly easy if some spells 'proc' and if they dont, it can be extremly hard

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"