So, what's everyone using?

Personally, I find everything wider than 3 squares had to use in dungeons and smaller maps, so these two are my main:

XXX      Eder-Hirvais/Durance-Pallegina

XXX      Durance-main-Aloth

X X      Edder-Pallegina

XXX      Hiravais-squishy main priest-Kana/Durance

X       Aloth

And I use this one for larger areas:

x x

x     x

x         x

Fighter

--------

--------

Chanter Priest

RANGER Mage Ranger

Ranger- - - Ranger

Mage

------------------

------------------

------------------

----Fighter Chanter Priest

x x

x

xxx

This is to set up stealth and flanking. I like the stealth mage for fan of flames

x

x

x

xxx is good too

I'm using this, very narrow, just two spaces horizontally:

X  Rogue (main)
XX  Eder - Pallegina
X   Durance

XX  Aloth - Hirvais 

My Rogue main is always ready to scout ahead, and then drop back behind the front line when necessary. The melee characters aren't spread out too wide, so they can support each other, Durance is close for support, and there's a slot for my Rogue to drop back into, if necessary. I keep Hirvais in the back most of the time for casting, and he's ready to shapeshift for melee to pull aggro off Aloth if the rear is infiltrated. 

There may be better arrangements, and of course a plan doesn't always survive first contact with the enemy. But I like this for now. It's tight enough to be very easy moving through dungeons and interior doors, and still works well outside with the Rogue running around to help keep attention off the back line.

P.S. just wrap the text in the code command and it shows like this.

X <- Eder

X  X <- Chanter+Pallegina

X  X <- spellcasters

X   <-ranger pet

X

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

I tried the 3 in front 3 in back routine, but the collision/chokepoints in many encounters drove me nuts with that one. There was always one that couldn't hit something and would just stutter around.

I wanted a circular formation with the mage in the center, but 6 in the party doesn't work out too well for that, plus the formation never really feels like how I envision such should be.

In the end I usually stick with the 3 rows of two and just use Stealth so I can get closer and pause to command each to do specific opening salvo things before they notice me. I don't tend to keep super tight formations once comabt actually commences anyway.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

When I'm feeling confident:

X  My archer
 X  Edér
XXX Pallegina - Aloth/Hiravias - Sagani/Kana
 Xx Durance/Hiravias ( - Itumaak)

When I'm scared:

X   Edér
  X Pallegina
XXX My archer - Aloth/Hiravias - Sagani/Kana
 Xx Durance/Hiravias ( - Itumaak)

Almost always the three rows to two formation:

Main Paladin + Edér (front line)

Aloth + Durance (keep Aloth alive, let him go to the front and back to position fast, and put Durance in the centre for the buff auras)

Grieving Mother + Kana (with Kana as off tank should someone come from behind)

All other formations either didn't offer enough advantages or were of little use in narrow walkways.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!