Lock-picking should count as stealing

I agree (in the case of locks on containers that are flagged for stealing, of course).

On an unrelated but similar note, when you use a key to open a lock you should be awarded the same amount of experience that you would have earned for picking that lock.  (This would eliminate the current situation, in which you are punished for not picking the lock before you find they key to it.)

Edited by Emptiness

Sorry for hijacking. Just how do you steal? When you take something everyone turn hostile.

They only turn hostile if they see you take something you shouldn't take (ie the hand is red when you are over the container).  If the hand isn't red, or no one sees you (because they are looking the other way or you are hidden from them) then they won't attack you.

Sorry for hijacking. Just how do you steal? When you take something everyone turn hostile.

Have your high stealth character do the stealing. It takes longer for their awareness circle to fill and you can steal with NPCs standing right there if you make it before that awareness turns completely red.

If you open a red container but don't take anything from it, does that count as stealing?

I ask because my only resistance to the lockpicking-is-stealing idea is that you can accidentally click on the lock, and I'd rather it wasn't straightforward to mis-click your way to hostility. But if opening red containers counts as stealing anyway, this objection doesn't matter.

If you open a red container but don't take anything from it, does that count as stealing?

I ask because my only resistance to the lockpicking-is-stealing idea is that you can accidentally click on the lock, and I'd rather it wasn't straightforward to mis-click your way to hostility. But if opening red containers counts as stealing anyway, this objection doesn't matter.

Only stealing counts as stealing, you can open what you want. 

Unless it's quest related ofc, such as a forbidden door or something like that.

Edited by KingNee

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat.